Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #21
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going out on a limb and guessing Sakic chickened out again!
Old 11-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I am going out on a limb and guessing Sakic chickened out again!
I assume the deal would have involved a 1st from Ottawa and 1st from Nashville (sent to Ottawa for Turris). I don’t think they would do much better than that unless they want a top prospect. I suppose Logan Brown could be involved.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #23
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

McKenzie weighs in:
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/...-help-1.905767

summary:
  • Sure that Ottawa would have been given up substantial draft picks as part of this deal.
  • Deal likely would have gone through if not for Nashville not liking how the deal went for them.
  • Turris wants 7 or 8 year deal. Sens only want to give 5 or 6 years. This potential trade shows that there is some fear from the Sens they can't get a deal done to re-sing Turris.
  • It appears the Senators were willing to obtain the contract certainty of Duchene in exchange for the uncertainty of Turris plus a premium.
  • Rumors were that Ottawa was likely giving up Turris + picks to ultimately get Duchene.
  • It is now more likely than not the Sens trade Turris eventually, but things could change suddenly.
  • Don't have all the details but the sense out of Colorado is they were ready to accept this deal.
  • At the end of the day sounded like Turris to Nashville, Duchene to Ottawa, and a whole bunch of picks and maybe a prospect to Colorado.
  • That is not the type of return that Sakic wanted, but the quantity and quality of the picks may have been enough to make it worth his while.
  • Sakic wanted players that can play now in return for Duchene, but with all those picks it may have given him the currency to get those player in other trades.
  • Sens and Avs were willing to get trade done, and they revisit this trade when both teams play in Sweden to see if there is another way to get this deal done.
  • The part where Nashville is involved in this trade is dead for now.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That would've been quite the three-way.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #25
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oooh, well if Nashville or Ottawa need a great quality centre... look no further than Matt Stajan.

In all seriousness, how would people feel about a deal surrounding Bennett and Turris (then extending Turris ~5 mil a year).

Monahan-Backlund-Turris-Jankowski would be a terrific center group.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #26
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
If Nashville didn't need ekholm to be a factor, the Flames could beat anything Nashville is offering...
Except the rumored haul of picks considering the Flames traded them all away for Hamonic last draft.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #27
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Oooh, well if Nashville or Ottawa need a great quality centre... look no further than Matt Stajan.

In all seriousness, how would people feel about a deal surrounding Bennett and Turris (then extending Turris ~5 mil a year).

Monahan-Backlund-Turris-Jankowski would be a terrific center group.
I would be all over a Bennett, Stajan, Wotherspoon, Shinkaruk/Porier to OTT for Turris, Harpur, and Colin White

Wotherspoon is further along than Harpur, Shinkaruk or Porier help make up the difference between Bennett and White ATM.

Ott gets a Dependable Center in Stajan and Bennett has the most potential out of all players involved and it's debatable that The best player in the deal is Turris who has plateaued, and Bennett who has a very bright future and if he could put it all together could be a bonafide #1 C in a year or two.

Edit: White also played with Matt Gaudreau and Johnny I believe? Matt for sure.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #28
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I would be all over a Bennett, Stajan, Wotherspoon, Shinkaruk/Porier to OTT for Turris, Harpur, and Colin White

Wotherspoon is further along than Harpur, Shinkaruk or Porier help make up the difference between Bennett and White ATM.

Ott gets a Dependable Center in Stajan and Bennett has the most potential out of all players involved and it's debatable that The best player in the deal is Turris who has plateaued, and Bennett who has a very bright future and if he could put it all together could be a bonafide #1 C in a year or two.

I don't think there is any way the Sens do this. White may be a better prospect than Jankowski is. I'd honestly rather stay away from this trade, and focus on trading Bennett for a better RWer.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #29
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Turris is massively overrated. Rather have Jankowski as the 2C or 3C - even now.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #30
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Turris is massively overrated. Rather have Jankowski as the 2C or 3C - even now.
That's patently ridiculous. Mark Jankowski has yet to establish himself as anything greater than a 12th/13th forward at this point, while Turris is one of the better offensive centres in the entire NHL. Trading for Turris would be like acquiring another Monahan.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #31
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post

Please take all our junk and trade us things that will make us much better. I'm sure Ottawa would be all over it.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #32
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Please take all our junk and trade us things that will make us much better. I'm sure Ottawa would be all over it.
Maybe if we added Freddie Hamilton and Glass.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #33
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like I need a break from CP.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #34
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some of you really show yourself as armchair fans when you champion trades like this just for sake of a trade by the Flames. You win by drafting and developing your own talent, not by trading for guys other teams have decided they do not want. Turris would be a classic example of this.

Trading Bennett at this stage of his career is the only patently ridiculous suggestion on CP these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #35
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some of you really show yourself as armchair fans when you champion trades like this just for sake of a trade by the Flames. You win by drafting and developing your own talent, not by trading for guys other teams have decided they do not want. Turris would be a classic example of this.

Trading Bennett at this stage of his career is the only patently ridiculous suggestion on CP these days.
You're correct that drafting and developing home grown talent is very important, however please point out one Stanley Cup champion team that didn't make a trade or acquire a player through free agency to help their team. Pittsburgh traded for Phil Kessel. Chicago brought in Marian Hossa. LA brought in Jeff Carter. Calgary bringing in Turris would be a similar move.

Bennett has 0 points this year. I'm not suggesting you have to trade him, but if he's the asking price for Turris you do it 10 times out of 10. At some point the Flames are going to have to make a choice with Bennett, is he going to be worth more to keep or to trade, and right now I think he's trending towards a trade chip. I really don't think trading Bennett is that ridiculous a suggestion, and especially not for Turris.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #36
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be so ironic if Treliving and Maloney, who traded Turris just as he was entering his prime, traded Sam Bennett just as he is entering his prime, for Turris just as he approaches the end of his prime.

Would be extra ironic if this year Smith took Treliving and Maloney's team to the WCF to really complete the full circle. Full On 2012 Coyotes Repeat.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-04-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #37
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Nice drive by... why don't you actually add some context to your opinion? Scared someone may shoot holes in your opinion like you are trying to do to mine, but without actually saying anything? Very Oiler-esque of you.

If Ottawa is afraid they won't get a favourable new deal for Turris, that hurts their position in negotiating trades. That, IMO makes Bennett more valuable than Turris currently and over then next 2 years. Only thing impacting that is Ottawa's in Win-now mode.

For White and Harpur, Bennett's upside is greater than White's and that extra value over Turris has a bit of an impact or has weight in balancing White's value a bit, add a similar pick as White in Porier or Shinkaruk (early 20 picks in their respective drafts).

Harpur Vs. Wotherspoon. Harpur will be lucky to ever see the NHL. Best pro season, 2 goals 27 pts. He may be able to repeat that. Unlikely though.

Wotherspoon has NHL games under his belt and has an 18 and 24 pt pro season under his belt while splitting time in the AHL and NHL. If the Sens needed some depth, he would be a good option for a run at the post season.

Perhaps the Flames have to add a Cherry to Stajan, but I think something could be done like future considerations on Pribyl or someone else of that ilk.

It's all very unlikely, I understand that. But to say the Flames would be sending junk is absolutely false in terms of the return.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #38
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
You're correct that drafting and developing home grown talent is very important, however please point out one Stanley Cup champion team that didn't make a trade or acquire a player through free agency to help their team. Pittsburgh traded for Phil Kessel. Chicago brought in Marian Hossa. LA brought in Jeff Carter. Calgary bringing in Turris would be a similar move.

Bennett has 0 points this year. I'm not suggesting you have to trade him, but if he's the asking price for Turris you do it 10 times out of 10. At some point the Flames are going to have to make a choice with Bennett, is he going to be worth more to keep or to trade, and right now I think he's trending towards a trade chip. I really don't think trading Bennett is that ridiculous a suggestion, and especially not for Turris.
I just don't think your examples are similar to Calgary right now. We aren't what Chicago, LA or Pittsburgh were at those times. But more notably, Turris is no Hossa or Carter - he's not even close. I'm not a fan of Kessel, but the guy has a nose for the net - Turris struggles to hit 20 goals a year with quality ice time.

I think we are still several years of development from being a contender. Call me in the minority, but the product on the ice certainly looks that way to me.

Last edited by Corral; 11-04-2017 at 03:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #39
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Turris is a good player but I don't know if he's the type of player you lock up for 8 years at a considerable salary. I can see why the Senators aren't interested in that.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #40
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wotherspoon is not an NHL player; I doubt he has any trade value