Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Versteeg/Stajan/Brouwer line

Ugh. What do we do here? Every one of these players has been brutal this year with Brouwer being very slightly better than the other two.

They get pinned in their zone for long stretches, lose the corsi battle every game even though they are playing against the other teams bottom players.

Versteeg is "ok" on the PP, Stajan is "decent" on the PK, Brouwer has had a few hits lately, but that's about it.

These guys are frustrating, old, and slow. Do they provide ANY value at this point? Honestly I don't think I would miss it if the entire line was replaced with the Stockton line.

I think Hathaway should definitely be up. (and Mangiapane too)

I'm also frustrated with the 3rd line but at least they are young and have potential, I'm willing to give them a lot more leeway. The 4th line has no excuses, they are supposed to be the "veteran" guys, the "good in the room" guys. But they don't do a single thing on the ice 5 on 5 other than suck. Man they are terrible.

Is the only thing we can do about them wait until this year is over where Versteeg and Stajan won't return, and Brouwer will be bought out? That is going to be a lot of pain this year.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Yeah playing other teams when we only have 3 true NHL calibre lines isn’t helping any. That combined with multiple 4th liners on our PP explains a lot of the offensive struggles of the team. Stajan provides decent PK, other than that they could waive the entire trio and I can’t imagine it having a negative impact on the team.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Yeah playing other teams when we only have 3 true NHL calibre lines isn’t helping any. That combined with multiple 4th liners on our PP explains a lot of the offensive struggles of the team. Stajan provides decent PK, other than that they could waive the entire trio and I can’t imagine it having a negative impact on the team.
Versteeg and Brouwer are legit NHLers. Brouwer makes too much money but he's absolutely a serviceable fourth liner as is versteeg.

Stajan on the other hand, he's been a great flames and seems like a fantastic teammate but I'm not sure he can be the 4th C on a contending team.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm honestly not concerned with our 4th line. Looking around the league I don't feel like that line is any worse than the majority of other 4th lines. I think the biggest problem this team has right now is the 3rd line, they are producing nothing offensively despite all the young potential. If they start producing I don't think anyone will be talking about the 4th line... Although I agree with you, I'd like to see Hathaway on that line... I actually wouldn't mind seeing Versteeg as the 13th fwd.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If/When Jagr is healthy put Lazar at 4C and sit Stajan.

Versteeg-Lazar-Brouwer

Might be the best you can hope for for now.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post

Versteeg is "ok" on the PP
I disagree, I think Versteeg has been abysmal on the PP too.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #7
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

3rd line is our issue. Zero goals and no secondary scoring. 4th line also has no goals but not expected to provide that same secondary scoring.

Our 4th line is fine compared to others in the league. A bit too much salary with Brouwer and Stajan but that will be corrected with Stajan off books and maybe a Brouwer buyout in summer.

I worry about Bennett. He's been our worst player and nowhere near what we drafted. More bust than potential.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double Post

Last edited by pepper24; 11-03-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 11-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like Steeger but he's been brutal this year so far.

That said, he's a savvy and skilled veteran and he picked it up at the right time last year down the stretch and into the playoffs.

I have no doubt he'll get it together.

That line as a whole is tough to watch though. I like the suggestion about having Lazar centre it and sitting Stajan. Staj has been a good soldier but he's pretty much done at this point.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #10
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

The Flames need to adjust their systems, both personnel and strategy. Smith has proven he can stop pucks even allowing 40+ shots in games. I'm not saying go full river hockey, but they've got the firepower to finish at least mid-pack in GF.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #11
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's all Sam Bennett's fault

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #12
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glass-Lazar-Hathaway should be that line.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #13
Franchise Player

Exp:

GG is playing the 4th line too much.

8 to 10 minutes for guys is probably where they should be.

Use them on special teams, but there is no way they should be playing that much.

The top 9 has young legs, they should be able to handle the extra workload.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #14
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
GG is playing the 4th line too much.

8 to 10 minutes for guys is probably where they should be.

Use them on special teams, but there is no way they should be playing that much.

The top 9 has young legs, they should be able to handle the extra workload.
4th line plays too much because 3rd line is terrible.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Although Stajan is underwhelming, I feel the issue has been more with Versteeg when 5 v 5.

He's a turnover machine like Johnny and tries to play the same style, problem is he doesn't have the speed, skill or vision to pull it off. So then Versteeg resorts to a low percentage pass or tries to rip a shot. Problem with Versteeg's shot is that it isn't very heavy. So really he's just been turning over the puck.

This was happening when he was playing with Bennett as well. Quite honestly, I think Bennett was put in a really tough spot playing Center with Versteeg as a winger.

Bennett had 2 choices, play more of a defensive Center and sacrifice scoring opportunities to cover for Versteeg, or play aggressive and when the puck is turned over, risk taking a penalty.

Since Bennett was expected to score, he chose the latter early on in the season which put a spotlight on his Penalties.

Stajan isn't an ideal Center in the NHL any longer, but for his role, he has to suffice for now.

Versteeg I feel has made himself replaceable.

Need a player to take over for Versteeg on the PP, Jagr will be back. Bennett could use some of that icetime. What about Janko from time to time?

It's too bad.. last year I couldn't understand for the life of me why Versteeg couldn't hold down a job and get a long term deal. This year I can see exactly why.

I wouldn't mind seeing Steeger traded for a younger project Center that is ideal for that fourth line down the road, and for the Center to sit from time to time and to be mentored or work with Stajan for the rest of the season and next year take over for Stajan. Also perhaps consider calling up Mangiapane or Klimchuk to play the 4th line LW.

Steeger to Ottawa for Zach Smith or someone of that ilk. (Although smith isn't young, he brings a much more necessary dynamic in his game than Stajan or Versteeg and the Flames sorely lack that)

Klimchuk - Smith - Brouwer I could see having a ton of Jam.

Last edited by IgiTang; 11-03-2017 at 01:15 PM.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #16
GeoRock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Glass-Lazar-Hathaway should be that line.
Agree. Glass plays with more energy and is more physical than Stajan and Brouwer, which is what we expect out of a 4th line.
GeoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #17
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think all of those players are useless; the problem is how they are being used.

Versteeg and Brouwer shouldn't be on the fourth line and are not grinders, versteeg is misdeployed on the PP.

Brouwer is really a shame, being paid the big bucks.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #18
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I'm tired of seeing these guys fail in every situation placed in.

I'd rather see Glass, F Hamilton, Hathaway as line 4....or call up Lomberg or anyone with more jam than these guys.

Versteeg should not be on a grinder line. Yeah he's slow out of the gate this year but he's slowly coming around.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #19
HUSKER4FLAMES
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Brouwer has been better. But someone needs to step up to Reeves for the hit on Tchuck. Reeves even said to Giordano what are you gonna do about it. Reality is no one is going to do anything. That's the frustrating part. Bring something. Have a value. Don't just take up space.
HUSKER4FLAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #20
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gulutzan's incessant desire to roll 4 lines evenly is what exposes this horrible 4th line. There is no reason at all for this line to play more than 5 minutes a game, yet they easily play more than 10 every game. It also prevents other lines from being more effective. We saw it when the Canucks were outcoached by Hartley in the playoffs with Desjardins / Gulutzan doing the balanced line thing. Gaudreau-Monahan needs to be able to go up against the other team's 3rd and 4th lines sometimes, rather than be 100% against the other team's shutdown line because of how predictable Gulutzan is coaching.

While we all laugh at how McLellan is overplaying McDavid, that is the only thing stopping the Oilers from being an 0-11 team right now with their putrid bottom 6.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post: