Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Kremlin Praises Ovechkin's Support for Putin

Well....this is a thing apparently.

I've mentioned a few times that Ovechkin's patriotism and support of Putin is...a little over-the-top, but this is something else...

Quote:
MOSCOW — Alex Ovechkin's new 'social movement' to support President Vladimir Putin received Kremlin backing Friday.
The Washington Capitals captain said Thursday on Instagram he was starting a group called Putin Team to “show everyone a strong and united Russia.” Ovechkin added that he has never hidden his feelings about Putin and has “always supported him openly.”

The Russian presidential election is scheduled for March 18. Putin hasn’t confirmed he will run for a fourth term, but is widely expected to do so.
“We obviously welcome in general Sasha’s desire to express support for our president, especially from abroad,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, referring to Ovechkin.

Putin is a hockey fan who takes to the ice for annual televised exhibitions games using the branding of the NHL — though in that case it stands for “Night Hockey League.” Putin plays alongside former star players and government officials, and regularly scores several goals, though his opponents seem reluctant to challenge him for the puck.
http://www.tsn.ca/kremlin-hails-ovec...ement-1.904843

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Run" for a fourth term. Ha.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This will probably be an unpopular opinion but i don't get the outrage. The guy is a proud Russian and I don't buy this narrative that the Russian government is this force of evil and we are a beacon of good. Dude is just pumping the home teams tires
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
This will probably be an unpopular opinion but i don't get the outrage. The guy is a proud Russian and I don't buy this narrative that the Russian government is this force of evil and we are a beacon of good. Dude is just pumping the home teams tires
I am far from 'outraged' but this is a big deal. There are people who genuinely believe that Putin rigged the US election for Trump, and Putin has a shadow over him. He is not the nicest person in the world by all accounts.

Its not as though I can blame Ovechkin for being patriotic, its just that his fierce loyalty not just to Russia, but Putin specifically, seems....I just dont know, theres just something off there.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #5
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Yeah, it's best not to overreact. Even if he didn't support him, voicing critique over Putin and/or his policies would likely spell trouble for him and his family back home.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Yeah, it's best not to overreact. Even if he didn't support him, voicing critique over Putin and/or his policies would likely spell trouble for him and his family back home.
Right...which means his support is effectively the result of blackmail and threats.

That doesnt seem somewhat weird?

Old 11-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Except our Prime Minister doesn't kill political opponents and Journalists while invading sovereign countries.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What "narrative". Are you resentful of facts? Am I allowed to believe that Putin is a psychopathic Machiavellian autocrat and also believe that "we" are not a beacon of good?

Not outraged at Ovechkin but I think he's an idiot and I've lost a lot of respect for him. Dumb political opinions are a good enough reason for me not to cheer for a hockey player. When you make your political support vocal and public, you open yourself up to criticism for your political opinions. Too bad. Ovie otherwise seems to have a big heart. Sad to see him wasting his voice and his energy on supporting Putin.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't agree with Ovechkin. However, I've lost no respect for him. I recognize his difference in opinion, disagree with it, and move on with my life. I think he's an awesome hockey player and I will continue to cheer for him (unless he plays the Flames in which case I hope he sucks).
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
What "narrative". Are you resentful of facts? Am I allowed to believe that Putin is a psychopathic Machiavellian autocrat and also believe that "we" are not a beacon of good?

Not outraged at Ovechkin but I think he's an idiot and I've lost a lot of respect for him. Dumb political opinions are a good enough reason for me not to cheer for a hockey player. When you make your political support vocal and public, you open yourself up to criticism for your political opinions. Too bad. Ovie otherwise seems to have a big heart. Sad to see him wasting his voice and his energy on supporting Putin.
To be fair though, Ovechkin is a meathead hockey player. I doubt he even has a high school level education. Putin is smart going after these uneducated fools.

and LOL to the Putin is not evil. Harper was 'evil' but he never poisoned opponents or journalists, nor killed his own citizens to start a fake war with Chechnya.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Russian presidential election is scheduled for March 18. Putin hasn’t confirmed he will run for a fourth term, but is widely expected to do so.
“We obviously welcome in general Sasha’s desire to express support for our president, especially from abroad,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, referring to Ovechkin.
Why does he refer to Ovechkin as Sasha?
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #12
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
To be fair though, Ovechkin is a meathead hockey player. I doubt he even has a high school level education. Putin is smart going after these uneducated fools.
An uneducated fool who every single kid in Russia probably looks up to.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
An uneducated fool who every single kid in Russia probably looks up to.
Sure, he is the master of propaganda, but how many of those Russian kids have lived in North America for 13 years?

Oh i wasn't calling Putin an uneducated fool. He is anything but, to see his rise to power from a low level KGB agent. That was for ovenchicken.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #14
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I am far from 'outraged' but this is a big deal. There are people who genuinely believe that Putin rigged the US election for Trump, and Putin has a shadow over him. He is not the nicest person in the world by all accounts.

Its not as though I can blame Ovechkin for being patriotic, its just that his fierce loyalty not just to Russia, but Putin specifically, seems....I just dont know, theres just something off there.
Some people don't think America landed on the moon and 9-11 was an inside job, too

All I'm saying is we aren't saints either. If anyone for a second doesn't think politicians in the west do shady things, they're extremely naive.

Also the "invading sovereign nations" high ground doesn't work when our biggest ally is the United States of America either(not that you said it, just a sentiment echoed by other posters)

I'm sure if there was an American player in the khl posting on twitter about his love of Hillary Clinton during the us elections, he wouldn't get the best press over there either

Last edited by stone hands; 11-03-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:11 AM   #15
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #16
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
Why does he refer to Ovechkin as Sasha?
Sasha to Alex/Alexander is what Bill is to William, in Russian. Barkov was often referred to as Sasha Barkov too
Old 11-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #17
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinda dumb, but not a surprise. Liberal democracy just isn't valued by most Russians. They're happy enough to have a murderous autocrat run their country so long as the economy isn't too terrible and Russia looks strong on the global stage. If some journalists and political dissidents need to get shot in the head and thrown in the river, pfft, they shouldn't have been dissing the ruler of Mother Russia in the first place.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 11-03-2017 at 02:37 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #18
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why is this a big news? It is no different than celebrities/pro-athletes saying that they are a Trump or Hilary supporter...
lazypucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #19
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some people don't think America landed on the moon and 9-11 was an inside job, too

All I'm saying is we aren't saints either. If anyone for a second doesn't think politicians in the west do shady things, they're extremely naive.

Also the "invading sovereign nations" high ground doesn't work when our biggest ally is the United States of America either(not that you said it, just a sentiment echoed by other posters)

I'm sure if there was an American player in the khl posting on twitter about his love of Hillary Clinton during the us elections, he wouldn't get the best press over there either
Ah so because we are allies with the United States it's no problem that Putin invaded Ukraine. How about his jailing of political opponents and human rights activists? How about his active oppression on Gays in Russia. He's a dictator and anyone who supports him deserves criticism.

Here's a recent law Putin just passed, explain again why we shouldn't criticize his supporters? https://www.google.ca/amp/www.telegr...inalizing/amp/

Last edited by Beninho; 11-03-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #20
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Ah so because we are allies with the United States it's no problem that Putin invaded Ukraine. How about his jailing of political opponents and human rights activists? How about his active oppression on Gays in Russia. He's a dictator and anyone who supports him deserves criticism.
It means your moral high ground is more like a level playing field is all

Anyways, I'm not here to argue politics on the foi board, sorry for the derail