Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #2021
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Who wants to do that anyway. Other than for 1 maybe 1.5-2 months people aren't going to be strolling around in -25 degree weather deciding where to go. I

I would assume people would rather have dinning and bar options however they will know these ahead of time. These ideas work in Nashville and Phoenix California but not so much in winter areas
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. It's more of a devil's advocate.

The idea of surrounding an arena with an entertainment district is that the influx of 20,000 people to the area would create a need for restaurants and bars. The arena is an anchor to the community.

If those 20,000 people aren't using the surrounding businesses, then there is no point building an arena in an entertainment district. It's a black hole that is empty half the time and sucks life out of an area (think a commercial skyscraper after 5 pm)

So if we are sending people straight to the door on the C-train, then the idea of an entertainment district is largely moot. Instead of throwing millions of public dollars at an arena, it would be better to bolster already thriving areas (17 Ave, Kensington, and potentially Bridgeland, Inglewood)

Of course, it could work out regardless of the Arena, or in spite of it, with the Stampede being a major summer attraction, as well as increased density in Vic Park, East Village, and the McLeod Trail condos
Old 04-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #2022
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who wants to do that anyway. Other than for 1 maybe 1.5-2 months people aren't going to be strolling around in -25 degree weather deciding where to go. I

I would assume people would rather have dinning and bar options however they will know these ahead of time. These ideas work in Nashville and Phoenix California but not so much in winter areas
True to an extent. Yet Electric Avenue had a pretty darn good run as an entertainment district. I could see a run of venues, perhaps indoors, perhaps with great patio heating, perhaps with covered connections, in Vic Park.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #2023
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't recall any upset over the name of the Corral. Then again, I wasn't born in 1950

If you are talking about when the Flames started, I still don't recall it. I was only 18 or so when the Flames played there. Frankly, in my circles, the Saddledome was a more ridiculed name.
I was referring to 1951. By the time the Flames arrived, the Corral had been the heart of Calgary's sports scene for 30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
When is the corral set to be demolished? Next year?
IIRC, it was supposed to happen as early as last fall. But given the economy, I'm guessing either the Stampede or the various levels of government are balking at a half billion BMO Centre expansion.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #2024
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I was referring to 1951. By the time the Flames arrived, the Corral had been the heart of Calgary's sports scene for 30 years.
Wow - people were upset at a Cowboy reference in 1951? That's surprising to me.

I never gave it much thought growing up (which was way pre-Flames). It didn't seem odd to me that I was going to see Rush at a place called the Corral.

I had never thought about it, but I kinda agree with the poster who says that unusual names make the naming rights less valuable.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #2025
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. It's more of a devil's advocate.

The idea of surrounding an arena with an entertainment district is that the influx of 20,000 people to the area would create a need for restaurants and bars. The arena is an anchor to the community.

If those 20,000 people aren't using the surrounding businesses, then there is no point building an arena in an entertainment district. It's a black hole that is empty half the time and sucks life out of an area (think a commercial skyscraper after 5 pm)

So if we are sending people straight to the door on the C-train, then the idea of an entertainment district is largely moot. Instead of throwing millions of public dollars at an arena, it would be better to bolster already thriving areas (17 Ave, Kensington, and potentially Bridgeland, Inglewood)

Of course, it could work out regardless of the Arena, or in spite of it, with the Stampede being a major summer attraction, as well as increased density in Vic Park, East Village, and the McLeod Trail condos
I think this is the single biggest positive for east Village location. There's tons of professionals that are living in this area now ans if you provide them with options it will be successful. Having the #15 connected to the Ctrain is a concession to the transit commuter outside these core areas. It would be a small concession to make for the added comfort of the 1000's of people that use the transit system
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM   #2026
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Not sure what you mean regarding the new library. The Green Line will not stop at the new library. The library is being built over the South Red Line connection between the 7th Avenue transit mall and the CP Tunnel, but does not have a station attached as part of it.
You are 100% right, and I'm very confused. Why wouldn't the city integrate a "central library station" into the library if the train is designed to literally go right through the library?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #2027
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
You are 100% right, and I'm very confused. Why wouldn't the city integrate a "central library station" into the library if the train is designed to literally go right through the library?
I'd assume you probably don't want boatloads of people and trains making noise in a library.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #2028
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That's cherry picking a bit I think. Whistler village is a ski destination so you would expect to have to be outside. Also Whistler has a coldest average month of -5 Celsius http://www.holiday-weather.com/whistler/averages/
. If we had that there would be no need for any + 15 system in Calgary
Yes Calgary's -7C is nothing like Whistler's balmy -5C.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #2029
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The Red Line is the only train that goes through/under the new library, and seeing as city hall station is 50 metres away, and has stops in both directions, makes the need for a new station at the library redundant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #2030
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Would be kind of pointless to have one in the library when City Hall Station is right there.

Plus the library was designed to go over the tracks, not the other way around. Encapsulating the train was a pretty key part of the design for noise and safety.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #2031
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The library is being built over an existing section of track that is on an incline between a tunnel and an at grade section, and is also on a horizontal curve between the north-south Macleod Trail alignment and the east-west 7th Avenue alignment, so you pretty much can't have a station right there.

Also, previous to the library site being selected the 7th Avenue transit mall stations were all reconfigured and rebuilt with the dual platform City Hall station bring built kitty corner to the library site.

All that said, if and when the 8th Avenue Subway is built, the Red Line will switch to operating there with a station directly under City Hall/Olympic Plaza (there is actually the shell of a station already built under City Hall). Thus the Red Line wouldn't operate regularly on the section of track the library is built over. This section would still be needed however to shuttle trains back and forth between the Red and Blue lines and the operations and maintenance facilities.
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #2032
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's cherry picking a bit I think. Whistler village is a ski destination so you would expect to have to be outside. Also Whistler has a coldest average month of -5 Celsius http://www.holiday-weather.com/whistler/averages/

I don't think comparing mild temperature Whistler to a freezing Urban setting is an apples to apples comparison at all.

What type of outdoor shopping and entertainment districts do places like Chicago, Minnesota, Denver, Boston, Toronto and Montreal have? These would be closer comparisons
See:
Laugavegur shopping street in Iceland.
Helsinki's design district.
Byward Market in Ottawa
Toronto's Entertainment District.

Just a few examples
Also:
http://www.placemakers.com/2016/01/0...winter-cities/

Last edited by Mass_nerder; 04-25-2017 at 02:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #2033
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

yikes, the "Alternate Green Line" option would be terrible if Arena get's built in the proposed location.

Spoiler!
Old 04-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #2034
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just coming back to plot size compared to other arena's. Here's the Vic Park option (27, 871 m2) compared to some of the newer buildings and MSG.

MSG : 22,825 m2

PPG : 25,971 m2

Videotron: 27,542m2

TMobile : 27,902m2

Victoria Park Option : 27,871m2

The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #2035
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think comparing mild temperature Whistler to a freezing Urban setting is an apples to apples comparison at all.

What type of outdoor shopping and entertainment districts do places like Chicago, Minnesota, Denver, Boston, Toronto and Montreal have? These would be closer comparisons
Keep in mind, that four of Calgary's most popular shopping / nightlife / entertainment districts - 17th Avenue SW, 1st Street SW, Kensington, Inglewood - are all outdoor. Building a new outdoor entertainment district next to a new arena would likely be very successful given directly local and relevant examples.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #2036
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not arguing that, I'm just suggesting that having an enclosed +15 from Red line to arena will not take traffic away from the entertainment district. the success of the entertainment district will depend on the residential density surrounding it.

Having a en enclosed +15 would add to the area for transit customers I believe and not detract from it.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #2037
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not arguing that, I'm just suggesting that having an enclosed +15 from Red line to arena will not take traffic away from the entertainment district. the success of the entertainment district will depend on the residential density surrounding it.

Having a en enclosed +15 would add to the area for transit customers I believe and not detract from it.
I do understand the utility from having a +15 connecting an arena to the train line.

This isn't an urban design discussion, and I don't want to be a dick and lecture people.
+15s do tend to take away from street life though.

Last edited by Mass_nerder; 04-25-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #2038
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree that having an enclosed +15 from train to arena will be a requirement for any new development. That said, smart architectural design will allow for the corridor to interact with the street level and encourage active, interacting exit points along that corridor. This is an aesthetic issue and the right designer will know how to address this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #2039
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
See:
Laugavegur shopping street in Iceland.
Helsinki's design district.
Byward Market in Ottawa
Toronto's Entertainment District.

Just a few examples
Also:
http://www.placemakers.com/2016/01/0...winter-cities/
I don't think Northern European cities should be considered. Those bastards will drink coffee on a patio at -20!!!!

I would say, in general, North Americans don't have the same love of urban outdoors as our European cousins. But I agree, 17th ave is largely busy in the winter months.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #2040
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't live in Calgary any more, so I don't really care about a new arena.
But I am opposed to billionaires getting a free arena from any type of government.
Edmonton got hosed big time.
I am paying for Rogers Place, and I f$#@ing hate the soilers.
Closed Thread