Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #8441
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That's just amazing. Shows you how dull the future really is in Edmonton.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #8442
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that Edmonton fans should prepare for a long, cold, disappointing, soul crushing season of hockey, followed by another long winter of discontent.

teams that usually jump as much as Edmonton does after not changing the structure of their team tend to fall back.

the Oilers that went into last season weren't that much different then the Oilers that had like 70 points the season before.

They just caught every single break possible, including a ton of career years and no injuries.

Oiler fans hopped on the Flames were unsustainable a couple of years back when the Flames returned to the playoffs, and as much as it hurts to admit it, it was the rare time that Oiler fans were every right about anything.

With all the hype the Oilers are receiving including Stanley Cup favored status, there's a certain amount of pressure that's going to fall on their shoulders, add to it that unlike years past, teams aren't rolling into Edmonton to collect an easy two points, they're going to be scratching and crawling in what is a benchmark game.

With at least one key injury already and a tougher schedule then last year, the start of the season could be very hard for the Oilers, and we don't know how they're going to handle adversity because frankly they didn't have any last year.

I'm not saying that the Oilers are going to fall back to 70 points, but its not hard to believe that they might lose 10 to 15 points just cause of stuff.

And if that happens and then McDavid's contract kicks in and it forces them to thin their roster, it could be a all hands on deck we just hit a iceberg while someone threw acid in our eyes moment for the Oilers.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #8443
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think that Edmonton fans should prepare for a long, cold, disappointing, soul crushing season of hockey, followed by another long winter of discontent.

teams that usually jump as much as Edmonton does after not changing the structure of their team tend to fall back.

the Oilers that went into last season weren't that much different then the Oilers that had like 70 points the season before.

They just caught every single break possible, including a ton of career years and no injuries.

Oiler fans hopped on the Flames were unsustainable a couple of years back when the Flames returned to the playoffs, and as much as it hurts to admit it, it was the rare time that Oiler fans were every right about anything.

With all the hype the Oilers are receiving including Stanley Cup favored status, there's a certain amount of pressure that's going to fall on their shoulders, add to it that unlike years past, teams aren't rolling into Edmonton to collect an easy two points, they're going to be scratching and crawling in what is a benchmark game.

With at least one key injury already and a tougher schedule then last year, the start of the season could be very hard for the Oilers, and we don't know how they're going to handle adversity because frankly they didn't have any last year.

I'm not saying that the Oilers are going to fall back to 70 points, but its not hard to believe that they might lose 10 to 15 points just cause of stuff.

And if that happens and then McDavid's contract kicks in and it forces them to thin their roster, it could be a all hands on deck we just hit a iceberg while someone threw acid in our eyes moment for the Oilers.
That got dark quick, lol
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #8444
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well we handed them 10 which I dont think is going to happen again, but they might be able to recoup those from Vegas.

That might be Edmonton's 'Lucky Rabbit's Foot' this year, getting to play Vegas divisionally.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #8445
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Fair enuff Locke, also Vancouver will be tremendously bad.

I would argue that the lucky rabbits foot argument applies to three teams in the Pacific, the Flames, Oilers and the Ducks.

San Jose might be the difference maker, I don't think they're going to be great and might represent a difference maker in the standings between Calgary, Edmonton and Anaheim, the team that obviously does the best against the Sharks has a leg up.

If the Flames split the season series against the Oilers it represents a 8 point swing alone in the Flames fortune. based on last years standings it gives the Oilers 99 points instead of 103 points and the Flames 98 instead of 94. If the Flames win one stinking game in Anaheim last year we probably finish ahead of the Oilers who had a near perfect season in terms of luck, injuries and career years.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #8446
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enuff Locke, also Vancouver will be tremendously bad.

I would argue that the lucky rabbits foot argument applies to three teams in the Pacific, the Flames, Oilers and the Ducks.

San Jose might be the difference maker, I don't think they're going to be great and might represent a difference maker in the standings between Calgary, Edmonton and Anaheim, the team that obviously does the best against the Sharks has a leg up.

If the Flames split the season series against the Oilers it represents a 8 point swing alone in the Flames fortune. based on last years standings it gives the Oilers 99 points instead of 103 points and the Flames 98 instead of 94. If the Flames win one stinking game in Anaheim last year we probably finish ahead of the Oilers who had a near perfect season in terms of luck, injuries and career years.
Yeah, next year is going to be interesting in the Pacific. Vancouver is bad, Vegas will be terrible, the Ducks are a wildcard and the Sharks are on the decline and you've got Calgary and Edmonton in the ascendancy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #8447
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Throw on top Chia's in ability to negotiate any great cap hit contracts I see next summer a summer of panic in Edmonton. Loving the Strome and Maroon with McDavid idea to start camp. I hope he gets them 4-5 mil deals next summer. I also can't wait for the "Drasaitl is nowhere near 8.5 mil good claim I will be laying on oil fans in about December"

Benning and Nurse could get increased ice time with Sekera out...both RFA's? Yes they are.

Not that it is a big deal but Slepeshev is already injured too before camp even starts. Sekera and him do hit them is positions of weakness. One more injury and they already have bigger issues than all of last year
Old 09-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #8448
Oilers93
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Throw on top Chia's in ability to negotiate any great cap hit contracts I see next summer a summer of panic in Edmonton. Loving the Strome and Maroon with McDavid idea to start camp. I hope he gets them 4-5 mil deals next summer. I also can't wait for the "Drasaitl is nowhere near 8.5 mil good claim I will be laying on oil fans in about December"

Benning and Nurse could get increased ice time with Sekera out...both RFA's? Yes they are.

Not that it is a big deal but Slepeshev is already injured too before camp even starts. Sekera and him do hit them is positions of weakness. One more injury and they already have bigger issues than all of last year
That's as good a problem anyone can really have. All top echelon teams have to make tough decisions.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #8449
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers93 View Post
That's as good a problem anyone can really have. All top echelon teams have to make tough decisions.

Except the Oilers will have such difficult decisions foisted upon them regardless of player performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 09-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #8450
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you inferring that the Oilers are a top echelon team?

They made it to the second round after a decade of unparalleled and historical NHL ineptitude.

After a one season anomaly, do not confuse horrific cap management, putrid long term drafting and development with a top echelon NHL team.
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #8451
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oilers =/= 'top echelon'

Bubble team is more accurate until they can appear in the dance more than once after a decade out. Can't even be considered a perennial playoff team until they prove that they had more than a flash in the pan season.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #8452
Oilers93
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Are you inferring that the Oilers are a top echelon team?

They made it to the second round after a decade of unparalleled and historical NHL ineptitude.

After a one season anomaly, do not confuse horrific cap management, putrid long term drafting and development with a top echelon NHL team.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/

You have to be a blind hater to think the Oilers aren't a top team. We got the league's brightest young talent at almost every position. Got nowhere to go but up in our nice new arena
Old 09-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #8453
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

You have to be a blind hater to think the Oilers aren't a top team. We got the league's brightest young talent at almost every position. Got nowhere to go but up in our nice new arena
Your nice new arena is still in a dump of a city. Go pick your lemons, Shelbyville.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #8454
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its turnips

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #8455
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good Episode 4: New Rink, Same Stink

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers93 View Post

you have to be a blind hater to think the oilers aren't a top team. we got the league's brightest young talent at almost every position. Got nowhere to go but up in our nice new arena :d
what??

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #8456
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oh look it's another blind Oilers fan who doesn't understand how odds work.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dieHARDflameZ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #8457
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

You have a cap crunch and outside of JP who's still questionable at the moment next to nothing in your prospect pool. You have some nice pieces, but don't mistake it for the brightest young talent by any stretch.

Your team is paper thin and laughably next year even thinner, and with Chia in charge soon to plunge back into the basement.

You had a nice little year last year, but it was more luck then a team being built to last.

The Oilers are like a candle in the wind. You Oiler fans will desperately cling to last year, when the rain sets in.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:12 PM   #8458
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Edmonton. Where one player equals 'almost every position'
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #8459
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good Episode 4: New Rink, Same Stink

^
Only a blind Oilers homer would think they have "the league's brightest young talent at every position."

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #8460
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton goes as far as McDavid and Talbot can carry them. McDavid goes down they're done. Talbot goes down they're done.

I'd have better luck bagging my groceries in bags made of tissue paper on a rainy day then relying on Edmonton depth to take them anywhere other then the basement. AGAIN.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread