Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #781
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
It's in the city's report as a possible solution (along with renovating the COP jumps and new jumps in Canmore).

It's a big report but you can read it here with some parts blacked out (Im guessing they don't own land where some things are proposed and don't want values to go crazy)

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreatio...20redacted.pdf

Interesting parts to me:

-Opening and closing ceremonies would be held at Stampede Grandstand
-2nd hockey venue would be the Corral
-Curling would be held at the proposed fieldhouse at foothills
-Alpine events at Lake Louise
-Technical events at Nakiska
wasn't a lot of talk here hoping for the Olympics as it would provide money from three levels of government for a new arena?

if the corral is the second hockey venue, would that mean it is a budget Olympics and they wouldn't push for a new rink?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #782
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is an assumption that a second arena would exist that isn't funded as part of the released budget.

You need 3 rinks -- 2 for Hockey and 1 for short track / figure skating. Vancouver had GM place, Pacific Collisium and the University arena which seat about 3-4K for ice surfaces. Women's hockey played in the university rink Men's in GM place and figure skating and short track alternated nights in the Pacific collisium.

So the Corral is a reasonable venue for non premium Women's hockey and Belarus vs Latvia. Short track and figure skating get the Saddledome and the new arena gets Canada and Us women plus Men's hockey.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #783
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Isn't hockey the main money maker for north american bids? Seems this is not very lucrative without NHL participation.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:36 AM   #784
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Really good idea but the ski jumps cannot be rebuilt to Normal and Large hill standards; the highways is now in the way,
New ski jumps at Nose Hill Park?

I'm also interested in how they make curling ice at a proposed new field house. Do they have temporary freezing units that can be used for the ice?

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 08-01-2017 at 07:38 AM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #785
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Isn't hockey the main money maker for north american bids? Seems this is not very lucrative without NHL participation.
NHL is seemingly just sitting out 2018. They want back in for 2022 in China and certainly would want in for Calgary
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #786
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Really good idea but the ski jumps cannot be rebuilt to Normal and Large hill standards; the highways is now in the way,
They could build new skijumps to the west of the current ones. It would be a shame to move so many events outside of the city.
NiklasSundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #787
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
If it is here, hockey games (between the bigger hockey countries) will sell out with or without NHL participation.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #788
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Opinion Piece in the National Post today:

Has anybody told Calgary that its Olympic bid plan is a staggeringly horrible idea?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #789
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

1988 gave the city some great facilities, but even at the time everyone knew the IOC was a racket. Fast forward to now, a makeshift bid isn't going to cut it.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #790
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Somewhat related to the Olympics bid, the World Cup 2026 bid from US/Canada/Mexico released its' list of potential host cities. Calgary is on it, with McMahon stadium.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sp...01es8wlvu2jg3f
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #791
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Somewhat related to the Olympics bid, the World Cup 2026 bid from US/Canada/Mexico released its' list of potential host cities. Calgary is on it, with McMahon stadium.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sp...01es8wlvu2jg3f
Well, this might be the best way to get the $200-300 million necessary to make McMahon a half decent 40,000 seat stadium with grass (and eventually fieldturf post WC)... I can't imagine Calgary would be shortlisted over Winnipeg otherwise.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #792
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Well, this might be the best way to get the $200-300 million necessary to make McMahon a half decent 40,000 seat stadium with grass (and eventually fieldturf post WC)... I can't imagine Calgary would be shortlisted over Winnipeg otherwise.
You think the city will invest in McMahon just for the World Cup? Doubtful. I'm really surprised Investors Field would be passed over for McMahon as it's expandable to 40,000 and is a far superior facility. Would kind of be embarrassing for Calgary to have McMahon showed off on an international scale. It would be much better to have games in Winnipeg.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #793
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree. I would love nothing more than to host a World Cup game (preferably with Italy playing), but I would pass if it meant McMahon hosting as is. Winnipeg and even Hamilton's stadium are far superior choices at this point.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 AM   #794
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see what happens with McMahon if NA is indeed awarded hosting the World Cup.

The pessimist in me will just enjoy the other cities having some games, and Calgary getting passed-over. On the other hand, Calgary is one of the bigger cities in Canada, and though the present circumstances have changed, continues to be an economic powerhouse in Canada. Calgary 'should' get a game. However, I do think it would be embarrassing to play in McMahon.

I do think this would push the urgency to do something about the stadium situation, but probably not enough. For me, I don't think McMahon gets replaced unless there is a World Cup, Olympic Winter Games, a rebound in oil prices, peace on earth where the security budget can thrown out, and some type of divine or alien intervention.

I would love to see a really nice arena - and hopefully it is something really unique and timeless (I am a huge fan of some of the football arenas around the world). I just don't see it happening in Calgary - not in a way that it would make it palatable with the majority of tax-paying citizens (myself included).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:25 AM   #795
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
It will be interesting to see what happens with McMahon if NA is indeed awarded hosting the World Cup.

The pessimist in me will just enjoy the other cities having some games, and Calgary getting passed-over. On the other hand, Calgary is one of the bigger cities in Canada, and though the present circumstances have changed, continues to be an economic powerhouse in Canada. Calgary 'should' get a game. However, I do think it would be embarrassing to play in McMahon.

I do think this would push the urgency to do something about the stadium situation, but probably not enough. For me, I don't think McMahon gets replaced unless there is a World Cup, Olympic Winter Games, a rebound in oil prices, peace on earth where the security budget can thrown out, and some type of divine or alien intervention.

I would love to see a really nice arena - and hopefully it is something really unique and timeless (I am a huge fan of some of the football arenas around the world). I just don't see it happening in Calgary - not in a way that it would make it palatable with the majority of tax-paying citizens (myself included).
leaving aside the quality of the city, do you really think Calgary should get a game?
look at the support and crowds Edmonton has given Canadian soccer over the years. they should get a game before Calgary.

then you have Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto as the three primary cities that would host games.

at best Calgary would be 4th on the list.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:25 AM   #796
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd rather see the money that would be used to renovate McMahon be used to build a new arena and I don't like using public money on Arenas. It just doesnt make sense.

With 48 teams you have 12 pools. So the US probably gets 8, Mexico 2 and Canada 2. Maybe Canada gets 3. But if we get 2 you have 12 games it makes sense to have a western pool and an Eastern pool. So it makes a lot of sense to have 3 games in BC Place and 3 games in Commonwealth. Then in the East Montreal and Toronto split the games with maybe 1 in Ottawa.

Regina will get a game before Calgary will.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 03:04 PM   #797
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

In my opinion public funds should go towards a new stadium (or major renovation of McMahon, put probably cheaper to start from scratch) before going to a new arena, which the Flames can afford to self finance. It would also be more beneficial to the city in terms of attracting new and different events, like soccer, rugby, and large scale concerts.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 07:44 PM   #798
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
In my opinion public funds should go towards a new stadium (or major renovation of McMahon, put probably cheaper to start from scratch) before going to a new arena, which the Flames can afford to self finance. It would also be more beneficial to the city in terms of attracting new and different events, like soccer, rugby, and large scale concerts.
A new McMahon stadium at Foothills would be an awesome center piece for the athletic park/field house complex. I would love to see one huge complex with an major stadium, indoor track and field facilities, maybe an Olympic size pool and diving tank plus the Norma Bush/David Bauer arenas.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #799
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
A new McMahon stadium at Foothills would be an awesome center piece for the athletic park/field house complex. I would love to see one huge complex with an major stadium, indoor track and field facilities, maybe an Olympic size pool and diving tank plus the Norma Bush/David Bauer arenas.
If I didn't know any better I'd say you were talking about the West Village concept and that exact purpose, an idea promptly destroyed by everyone involved.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #800
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If I didn't know any better I'd say you were talking about the West Village concept and that exact purpose, an idea promptly destroyed by everyone involved.
You got that right. Destroyed by the people involved, not the people presented to.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote