Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #741
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I missed this. when did this happen and I am assuming they put in that new astroturf with the shredded tires in it
happened in 2010, and then they replaced it in 2015.

the turf is FIFA approved and the women's world cup was played on it. (which the american team sued about because men get natural grass)

not sure what it's made of but I do think it's a step up form the shredded tires turf as it is FIFA approved for soccer play.

I find it hard to understand why the UA would want to share a world cup with Canada and mexico. I don't think trump would go for it.

I'd guess that Calgary has a better chance of getting the Olympics than Canada does to co-host the world cup.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #742
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
happened in 2010, and then they replaced it in 2015.

the turf is FIFA approved and the women's world cup was played on it. (which the american team sued about because men get natural grass)

not sure what it's made of but I do think it's a step up form the shredded tires turf as it is FIFA approved for soccer play.

I find it hard to understand why the UA would want to share a world cup with Canada and mexico. I don't think trump would go for it.

I'd guess that Calgary has a better chance of getting the Olympics than Canada does to co-host the world cup.
I will be shocked if any of the Men's world cup games are played on turf.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #743
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
It's nearly a foregone conclusion at this point. The US, Canada, and Mexico have already submitted their joint bid and are currently unopposed.

Other nations have until August 11 to submit their bids. If that doesn't happen, the North American bid will likely win by default.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #744
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It's nearly a foregone conclusion at this point. The US, Canada, and Mexico have already submitted their joint bid and are currently unopposed.

Other nations have until August 11 to submit their bids. If that doesn't happen, the North American bid will likely win by default.
Yeah, that sucks for a whole lot of reasons. I'd rather have the Olympics than a World Cup for a whole host of reasons, but starting with the fact that a World Cup isnt going to do jack for our City, we arent going to get much out of it and its going to tie-up funding for things that would have benefited from.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #745
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

oh ok. sorry. I didn't realize it was that far along. not a soccer fan at all.

Calgary could be screwed. more votes can be bought by the feds pumping money into world cup games in montreal, Toronto and Vancouver than can be bought in Calgary with an olympics.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #746
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I'm just getting too cynical, but it seems like the gambit the IOC has been running for the last 40 years is getting a bit long in the tooth. The days of having taxpayers (both locally and federally) cough up billions of dollars of subsidies for a bit of "feel good" time seems to be losing favour, even with politicians.

I think the time has come to make these events as close to "cost neutral" as possible for the host city and country. That most definitely means less largesse for the IOC - but I just don't see the "same old same old" working anymore.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #747
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd rather have the joint bid for the World Cup so I could watch more games at reasonable times! I don't see Canada spending a ton of money for the 8-10 games they will host.

Olympics? Meh. I just see it costing way too much money.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #748
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think the Olympics can and will be a success for our city and region ... 88 redux ... bigger and better ....
stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #749
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Olympics? Meh. I just see it costing way too much money.
Would it not bring back even more?

(genuine question)
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #750
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

The report the bid committee just submitted put the total cost at $4.6 billion. This cost is about $3.2 billion less than Vancouver was in 2010. It seems to me that some cost components have been underestimated. For example facility costs are budgeted at only $450 million and accommodation costs at $460 million - even though the number of athletes will be more than double what Calgary saw in 1988.

Of the total $4.6 billion cost apparently $1.2 billion is expected federal govt funding and $2.2 billion from four direct revenue categories - ticket receipts ($320 million) merchandise & licensing ($350 million) IOC contribution ($700 million) domestic sponsorship revenue ($820 million), leaving an amount of $1.2 billion to be covered by provincial and or municipal ( hello taxpayer) funds.

Does that shortfall grow and how does it get covered? Those seem to be the big questions.

Last edited by Gaudfather; 07-26-2017 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Added details from bid report
Old 07-27-2017, 05:37 AM   #751
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post

(genuine question)
Genuine answer: If the Olympics were actual money makers, don't you think cities would be clamoring to host instead of the current state where most cities in non-dictatorships are running away from hosting as fast as they can?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #752
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

(genuine question)
As the Senator mentioned, I think the lack of willing cities to host the games is an indictment on them.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #753
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

(genuine question)
There is probably an argument to be made that the City/municipality sees a net benefit vs. their cost.

For instance, large portions of the cost are picked up by the Province and Feds, so the City of Calgary would get a (example) 5 billion dollar infrastructure boost, while it only pays (example) 1.5-2 billion.

The city (to a lesser extent the city's coffers) would then benefit the most from the olympics without paying for it (Edmonton is paying, Ottawa is paying, we aren't)

There are so many issues with that way of thinking though.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #754
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
The report the bid committee just submitted put the total cost at $4.6 billion. This cost is about $3.2 billion less than Vancouver was in 2010. It seems to me that some cost components have been underestimated. For example facility costs are budgeted at only $450 million and accommodation costs at $460 million - even though the number of athletes will be more than double what Calgary saw in 1988.
Just a question Gaudfather, are you in the industry? Are you part of the design, planning and costing? I don't think you are. I have worked on a couple of the proposed projects and I don't know why you make unsubstantiated claims like this.

The sports facility costs have not been underestimated. Each required venue, renovated or new, has been meticulously researched and preliminary schemes have been presented as to what would be required. They are in the hands of the bid committee. Cost savings are very much on the minds of the committee and these aren't loosey-goosey numbers that were just tossed around.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:46 PM   #755
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Genuine answer: If the Olympics were actual money makers, don't you think cities would be clamoring to host instead of the current state where most cities in non-dictatorships are running away from hosting as fast as they can?
I think if you can come in somewhere under the 42 billion US Russia allegedly spent on the Sochi games, they can be profitable - depending on how your want to count depreciation of infrastructure costs.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #756
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Just a question Gaudfather, are you in the industry? Are you part of the design, planning and costing? I don't think you are. I have worked on a couple of the proposed projects and I don't know why you make unsubstantiated claims like this.

The sports facility costs have not been underestimated. Each required venue, renovated or new, has been meticulously researched and preliminary schemes have been presented as to what would be required. They are in the hands of the bid committee. Cost savings are very much on the minds of the committee and these aren't loosey-goosey numbers that were just tossed around.
I will admit this is just an outsiders view, and I am willing to let time be the judge if these games do proceed. But my experience on capital projects is there are always unanticipated developments that are not budgeted for. As an example I was hearing someone say that the revamp of the ski jumps at COP need so much work that they have tossed around the idea of doing the ski jumping at Whistler.

Is there anything in the facility costs for the new arena or new field-house. Or are they being excluded because they will have other functions?
Old 07-29-2017, 10:44 PM   #757
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They're excluded because they expect these projects to happen anyway...
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #758
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
As an example I was hearing someone say that the revamp of the ski jumps at COP need so much work that they have tossed around the idea of doing the ski jumping at Whistler.
The IOC won't allow dual city bids; I can't see how they'd think hosting ski jumping 1,000 km away from the host city would be an actual viable solution.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #759
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
The IOC won't allow dual city bids; I can't see how they'd think hosting ski jumping 1,000 km away from the host city would be an actual viable solution.
It's in the city's report as a possible solution (along with renovating the COP jumps and new jumps in Canmore).

It's a big report but you can read it here with some parts blacked out (Im guessing they don't own land where some things are proposed and don't want values to go crazy)

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreatio...20redacted.pdf

Interesting parts to me:

-Opening and closing ceremonies would be held at Stampede Grandstand
-2nd hockey venue would be the Corral
-Curling would be held at the proposed fieldhouse at foothills
-Alpine events at Lake Louise
-Technical events at Nakiska
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #760
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
It's in the city's report as a possible solution (along with renovating the COP jumps and new jumps in Canmore).

It's a big report but you can read it here with some parts blacked out (Im guessing they don't own land where some things are proposed and don't want values to go crazy)

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreatio...20redacted.pdf

Interesting parts to me:

-Opening and closing ceremonies would be held at Stampede Grandstand
-2nd hockey venue would be the Corral

-Curling would be held at the proposed fieldhouse at foothills
-Alpine events at Lake Louise
-Technical events at Nakiska
That would be so embarrassing for the city.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post: