Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #81
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I would have to think that if the flames only needed to sell 16,000 when the economy was good that would have lead to a higher average ticket price.
That's pretty much what the Flames intend to do for their new stadium...fewer seats that they can charge more for.

Which is why if you think NHL hockey is too expensive now, a new stadium will definitely not help your cause. I'm in that group myself...the value just isn't there for me any more, at least not for more than 2/3 games a year.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #82
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
So what's the problem? You're turned off because you have to eat at home first? It's like you're surprised that food costs more when you're going out. $9 nachos, $14 wings, that's cheaper than going out to a typical restaurant such as Moxies.
Cheaper at face value, but I'd wager you get better bang for your buck at a restaurant than at the Saddledome.

It's not a huge deal, I still go to games, but I don't buy overpriced food. That's all I was saying.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #83
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

The only reason I have season tickets is for playoff rights. Otherwise I’d just pick and choose reg season games to go to.

When playoffs come, it’s all worth it.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #84
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I can barely justify going to games anymore. Sure, I could eat beforehand and not drink a beer or 2, and I could take the train and I could stop work early to accommodate, but why? My time is money, so stopping work early so I can save money by going home to eat - costs me money. Oh, I suppose I can just bring some extra food to eat in my car while I sit at the train station before going to the game, but that's just ridiculous. When I go to a game, I want a snack. And a beer.

If "going to the game" means stripping it down to just seats with no beer or nachos, just because the prices of everything from seats to snacks to parking are so much more than what I can do at home, why go? Whether I can afford it or not doesn't matter. The cost of the night out wont sink me, but why spend it like it doesn't matter to me when it actually does? Why go out on a weeknight and spend a bunch of cash when the home experience is just about as good, plus I can watch another game on recall, or pvr it and watch it after the child is sleeping, or simply turn it off if the Flames decide not to show up.

I do not object to NHL talent making NHL money, but I really do agree with the much mentioned sentiment that pro sports is headed for a big correction. Going to the game costs a minimum of $50pp, and more comfortably $100pp. At a hundred bucks a head, it's no longer a reasonable date night like what I used to do in my 20s. It's become more of an occasion. I basically go to about 0-1 game per year now, and I used to go to ~25. I'm sorry, but $10 for a f'ing Budweiser is just ridiculous, so why is it that expensive? Is it because of costs? What costs? Player salaries perhaps? New buildings? $300 hockey sticks?

Not sure where they should start, but as long as watching it at home is twice as comfortable/convenient, and about a tenth of the cost, I know where I'll be on game night. I'm also more likely to go to a pub with a couple friends than we are to get tickets and go to the game. Multiple HDTVs, no line up for the can, I don't miss a play to get food, the beer is still a couple bucks cheaper than the dome, and it gets delivered to my table.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #85
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
If "going to the game" means stripping it down to just seats with no beer or nachos, just because the prices of everything from seats to snacks to parking are so much more than what I can do at home, why go? Whether I can afford it or not doesn't matter. The cost of the night out wont sink me, but why spend it like it doesn't matter to me when it actually does? Why go out on a weeknight and spend a bunch of cash when the home experience is just about as good, plus I can watch another game on recall, or pvr it and watch it after the child is sleeping, or simply turn it off if the Flames decide not to show up.
So basically you have to weigh the costs and benefit of being able to attend live in person VS watching it from your couch. Which is what thousands of people do every single home game. And roughly 18-19k people choose that watching live hockey is awesome so they choose to purchase tickets for a price they can afford.

And while watching it from your house might be “twice as convenient” getting to watch hockey live is at least “10 times more awesome”.

It bothers me when people have this general attitude that it costs hundreds of dollars to attend a Flames game when really you can attend for a lot less then that and still have a great time.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #86
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
So basically you have to weigh the costs and benefit of being able to attend live in person VS watching it from your couch. Which is what thousands of people do every single home game. And roughly 18-19k people choose that watching live hockey is awesome so they choose to purchase tickets for a price they can afford.

And while watching it from your house might be “twice as convenient” getting to watch hockey live is at least “10 times more awesome”.

It bothers me when people have this general attitude that it costs hundreds of dollars to attend a Flames game when really you can attend for a lot less then that and still have a great time.
In general it does though, so if the average experience is several hundred for a couple people to go, why would they not refer to that in their considerations as to whether the value for the dollar is there?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #87
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This is a few years old but the average resale price for a Flames game is $87.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...resale-prices/

Factor in a $5 pop and two $3.50 train tickets and you're pretty close to $100 to see a game.

Yes, there are cheaper seats and yes you can walk to the dome and yes you don't have to buy a pop but the average person attending a Flames game on any given night has invested $100 to be there. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to believe that it will cost them $100 to see a game when it costs most fans at least $100 to see a game...
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #88
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

To me the value is there if the Flames win. Judging by how sales have really picked up lately and in the past that's the way most fans look at it. All the sideshows and gimmicks just take away from the overall experience and are in fact a waste of time. The win is much more enjoyable in person then on tv, the loss is easier at home.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 11-15-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #89
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

The average ticket cost is irrelevant, lower bowl club seats are $200-$300 each, who cares? There are plenty of really good tickets in the second bowl in the $40 range.

I don’t care if people want to stay home and watch the game alone on their couch but don’t bend the facts that two people can attend a game and have a beer for under $100 in decent seats. If you want to then drop another $100 on food and booze that’s on you. Shocker, its expensive to eat/drink at a sporting event!
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #90
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely interesting variance in everyone else's costs and to see what everyone considers the "full entertainment experience".

My experience usually costs around 70-80 altogether. I just get 2 beers though, and the 7-8pm starts are late enough I can make myself some dinner at home beforehand.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #91
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see the argument people have, but for me it is also about value for tickets. Being in the first row of the PLs at center ice for me makes it worth it for me. One of the things I love about the live experience is you get to pick what you want to watch. Whether it is a battle behind the play or following the puck you decide. IMO the first row of the PL are the best value and make being a season ticket holder a viable option.
I rarely drink at games as I just enjoy watching the game.

For me it is at a price point and value that makes it an enjoyable experience.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #92
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Whiners.

I make it out to one or two games a year. Lower bowl seats, some beers, maybe some food, hotel, plane tickets, restaurants. Costs us about $1000 a game.

$100 a game? That'd be sweet.

(Obviously this is all very tongue in cheek)
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #93
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Going to games in Calgary is overpriced and rip-off no question, but watching hockey on TV is absolutely terrible - being forced to puck watch instead of watching how everyone on the ice reacts tactically, producers who jump at every opportunity to use the worst camera angles possible (up close during corner board battles), having commentators rambling on instead of just the noise of the game and the crowd.

So, for me, that's the dilemma, and watching live in-person has won every time so far. There of course is a point where the rip-off becomes such a big rip-off that TV would win, but thankfully we aren't quite there yet.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #94
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really have time to go home before a 7pm game. I would have time to get changed then immediately back on the road. I used to take the train, but needing to change lines downtown on really inclement nights then getting home much later than if I drove made me decide I would rather pay parking than drink beer.

And I think part of the "Happy Hour" promotion was to get people to the Dome and through security earlier. Security is much slower this year.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:18 AM   #95
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The average ticket cost is irrelevant, lower bowl club seats are $200-$300 each, who cares? There are plenty of really good tickets in the second bowl in the $40 range.

I don’t care if people want to stay home and watch the game alone on their couch but don’t bend the facts that two people can attend a game and have a beer for under $100 in decent seats. If you want to then drop another $100 on food and booze that’s on you. Shocker, its expensive to eat/drink at a sporting event!
It isn't irrelevant though. This thread was started due to declining attendance numbers. This isn't simply a Calgary thing or an NHL thing. Across all of North America professional sports revenues are declining. Fans are no longer finding the value in going to the games.

I know you can go to a game for $40. I have seasons tickets in the PL level. I'm very aware of what it costs me to go to a game. However the truth is that most tickets in the arena are far more expensive than what I pay. Most fans also don't want to sit in the bleeds and most fans want a snack at the game.

I'm not trying to bend the facts - that's why I looked up the statistics.

It's great that you find tremendous value in going to a Flames game. Less and less people see it this way.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 11-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #96
rage2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Going to games in Calgary is overpriced and rip-off no question
Disagree. I eat dinner, snacks and drinks at every game, and average $100 a game plus my season ticket cost. Pretty set routine of drinks, food and nachos. US is way more expensive, but it's hard to compare because of the terrible exchange rate right now. Last game I went to in the US (Rangers @ MSG) same food and drinks routine, it cost me $135 for food and $180 for tickets (highest row section 209):

$5.50 Nachos
$19.95 Lobster/Shrimp Roll
$98.00 8 x Premium Highballs
$10.75 Hot Dog

Clearly, the food portions are tiny and the booze is watered down, but yea, $315USD for similar experience as a typical flames game but with worst seats.

Vegas is my next game outside of Calgary so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited by rage2; 11-15-2017 at 10:23 AM.
rage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rage2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #97
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to go to a handful of regular season games a year and as many playoff games as I can

I now only go to one game a year. And it's a pre season game. Either free or like $30 for a pair in the 200's

Factors include price has gone exponentially high and that I now have three kids and I would feel guilty spending that much money on myself for just one night out.
albertGQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #98
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it will be interesting to see if/when the flames/north American pro sports undergo a radical change in ticket pricing
Old 11-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #99
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Technology I think may also play a part. It really won't be long until you can get a VR seat and watch from a number of different locations live. I can see that being the new pay per view revenue source for teams.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #100
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think change is happening, that change consists of building a new arena that transitions the customer base to corporate interests and groups of people(season ticket sharing) that can afford the higher ticket prices. Individuals who are now middle of the road, lets say 6K-10K a pair will get downgraded to the new cheap seats, people now in the cheap seats will be moved out and corporate types and groups will occupy most of the arena.

This is what happened in Edmonton, and they even payed for the arena.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote