Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #1
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default PT - Don't Let Jagr DJ - Vincent Trocheck

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/vi...-panthers-nhl/

Fun read. Some fun details about Jagr.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love me some Trocheck, and I agree with a lot of what he says.

Quote:
Like, how’s Aleksander Barkov not a bigger deal to you guys on the Internet?

Dude is one of the best two-way centers in the entire world. He’s like Anže Kopitar with more skill (no disrespect to Anže, Barkie is just that good). He’s got hands like Patrick Kane and, oh yeah, he’s 6’3″ and 210 pounds. You can’t stop that.
It's been a rough start for the team defensively, but the talent is there. Trocheck isn't wrong about that. With a new coach brought in, and a lot of teaching to do with a young defense corps, it was to be expected that it would be a little bumpy to start this year. The good news is that the Panthers can actually score quite a few goals, which I thought was not possible going into this year. Dadonov has looked great (16 points in 16 games), and Vrbata has contributed some offense too (10 points so far). Ekblad looks like a stud again. As for Trocheck himself? He's doing just fine with 8 goals and 17 points in 16 games.

The weak point has been the 2nd defense pair with Matheson in his sophomore season and Pysyk. I think they'll get there, but right now they're not helping the team very much. Add in a Luongo injury and the team has had trouble keeping the puck out of the net.

I'm hopeful that by game 20 they'll have some things sorted out. They're getting better, but it's definitely taking some time to learn better habits.

I wouldn't count them out of the playoff picture just yet, but it is looking grim at the moment. This could end up being a transition year for the team.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #3
DynamRyan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Guess someone better bring an iPad with Poison on to the Flames dressing room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

And if anyone thinks I'm being optimistic about the Panthers chances, consider this.

The Panthers currently have 12 points in 16 games.

The Oilers currently have 14 points in 17 games.

so if Florida wins their next game, they'll be just as good as the Oilers, a team that most people think will still make the playoffs.

So either Florida is better than people think, or the Oilers are really, really terrible. In either scenario, I'm happy.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
And if anyone thinks I'm being optimistic about the Panthers chances, consider this.

so if Florida wins their next game, they'll be just as good as the Oilers, a team that most people think will still make the playoffs.

So either Florida is better than people think, or the Oilers are really, really terrible. In either scenario, I'm happy.
Their defense has been a lot better the last couple of games. It was really, really bad before.

What do you think about their new coach? To me it seems a lot their early season struggles has been due to the new system... or the lack of.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Their defense has been a lot better the last couple of games. It was really, really bad before.

What do you think about their new coach? To me it seems a lot their early season struggles has been due to the new system... or the lack of.
Not sure yet. I think Boughner knows what he's doing, but it hasn't shown up on the ice yet. It was the same way when Gulutzan started with the Flames. I think part of it is that there are 3 defensemen 22 and under on the roster, which means mistakes will happen. From my perspective, there's simply a lack of a cohesive team defense structure, and guys are missing their assignments regularly. It could be due to the teaching period of a new system, but it also could be that some of these players are just not very aware defensively.

The core was able to play good defense under Gallant, but quite a few of those players have moved on (Campbell, Jokinen, Smith, Gudbranson, Kulikov, etc. etc. etc.). They are relying a lot more on the young players to carry the team, and they're struggling at times. The NHL is a tough league for a young player to learn.

All in all, I think they'll get there, but it might be a rough season to watch at times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good lord. Talk about damning by faint praise.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
eyipyip
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Jagr can change my radio station any day of the week

Last edited by eyipyip; 11-14-2017 at 11:21 AM.
eyipyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #9
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I liked that quote about being so slow out on the ice but then you look up and he is always in the right position. That's Jagr. He does appear to be slow but at the end of it all he is right where he needs to be. It's amazing to watch.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #10
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wat? delusional people maybe

and Poison is awesome...stupid millennials would rather listen to the kid from Degrassi and how he started on the bottom (in a rich suburb as a child actor)

Last edited by dino7c; 11-14-2017 at 11:33 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I liked that quote about being so slow out on the ice but then you look up and he is always in the right position. That's Jagr. He does appear to be slow but at the end of it all he is right where he needs to be. It's amazing to watch.
Reminds me of that quote the day of his introduction, where he expressed confidence in that there were a lot of guys that got to wrong places really fast, and that he's slow but he gets to the right places all the time.

What pains me a bit is how hard it is for viewers over the broadcast and even watching live sometimes to appreciate the subtle moves, hip fakes, and stick-work tight to the boards where he's his strongest. The viewing angles just don't do that ability justice half the time.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #12
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
We thought we could do some serious damage in the tournament. The last game in Team North America history (R.I.P) was the best. We thought we just had to win against Sweden to get into the next round. It went into OT. — at the Air Canada Centre — tied at 3–3. It was the Sedin twins and Erik Karlsson against Johnny Gaudreau, Nathan MacKinnon and Morgan Rielly to start the extra frame.

And we celebrated like we won the Cup. Because we thought we were through to the next round. Turns out we needed to win in regulation, though. Not making it out of the group stage was such a bummer. All we wanted was to play Team Canada, because we thought we could show the hockey world something special.
Remember when the great coach Todd McLellan intentionally didn't inform his team they NEEDED to win in regulation to advance? Great call coach!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post: