Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2015, 05:05 PM   #481
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I agree with Sureloss here. If the Flames wanted Jankowski to turn pro next season, they probably would have signed him at the same time Gillies got signed. It still may happen, but you have to figure that the chances are much slimmer.

Personally, I don't think there is a wrong decision to be made. I think there is a lot of development that Jankowski can do in his final year of college, and I also think that he is probably ready for the AHL and could develop nicely there too. This at least saves another year off his ELC, so that helps in the long run.
Does anyone think there is a reason Jankowski wouldn't be a good soldier and sign with the Flames? He's got friends in the system, he was drafted by the team, he is Canadian... A lot of the worries I had with Johnny (Burke, location, hype, etc) not signing don't exist with Jankowski. I would obviously rather him sign this spring than next, but what a boost he'll be whenever he does finally sign.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #482
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would prefer they sign him now just to play it safe... Wouldn't want him to join the leafs as a free agent
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:10 PM   #483
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't think a player should move to the next level until he excels/dominates at his current one. Janko will have prime oppurtunity and mins next year in Providence.
druetetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #484
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Does anyone think there is a reason Jankowski wouldn't be a good soldier and sign with the Flames? He's got friends in the system, he was drafted by the team, he is Canadian... A lot of the worries I had with Johnny (Burke, location, hype, etc) not signing don't exist with Jankowski. I would obviously rather him sign this spring than next, but what a boost he'll be whenever he does finally sign.
It is tough to say. You have listed good reasons why he would sign with the Flames and Jankowski does seem to be a stand up guy.

The strongest argument that he might not sign with the Flames is organizational depth at C and perceived opportunity to play in the NHL. Opportunity seems to be the major factor in college UFA signings. That being said Flames depth at C could drastically change by this time next year.

It is probably going to depend on what advice he gets from advisors/agents and family. The most important advice will likely come from his uncle, who was at one point an Assistant GM for the Islanders, scout for the Canadiens, and rumored candidate to be Flames Assistant GM under Feaster.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 02:00 AM   #485
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
It is tough to say. You have listed good reasons why he would sign with the Flames and Jankowski does seem to be a stand up guy.

The strongest argument that he might not sign with the Flames is organizational depth at C and perceived opportunity to play in the NHL. Opportunity seems to be the major factor in college UFA signings. That being said Flames depth at C could drastically change by this time next year.

It is probably going to depend on what advice he gets from advisors/agents and family. The most important advice will likely come from his uncle, who was at one point an Assistant GM for the Islanders, scout for the Canadiens, and rumored candidate to be Flames Assistant GM under Feaster.
Is that just a hypothetical, or do you have reason to believe the Flames could actively shop some of the depth centres in the offseason & the following year?

On paper the depth is great:

Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Stajan
Granlund
Colborne
Jooris
Shore
Arnold
Jankowski

But when you factor in guys who play really well on the wing (Bennett, Colborne, Shore & Jooris) you could easily see Jankowski slotting into the NHL lineup in a couple of years. His development could make Stajan, Colborne or even Backlund expendable and a good asset to deal for depth elsewhere.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #486
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
Is that just a hypothetical, or do you have reason to believe the Flames could actively shop some of the depth centres in the offseason & the following year?

On paper the depth is great:

Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Stajan
Granlund
Colborne
Jooris
Shore
Arnold
Jankowski

But when you factor in guys who play really well on the wing (Bennett, Colborne, Shore & Jooris) you could easily see Jankowski slotting into the NHL lineup in a couple of years. His development could make Stajan, Colborne or even Backlund expendable and a good asset to deal for depth elsewhere.
I think it is hypothetical. All you have to do is look at the organizations centre depth when Jankowski was drafted and then where is was 16 months later when Monahan made his NHL debut. It's not out of the realm of possibility for guys to be traded, to leave as UFAs or be claimed off waivers.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #487
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Matt Grzelcyk has announced he will return to BU for his senior year.

Which likely means Hickey will be on the 2nd pairing as they both play the left side IIRC.

Looks like O'Reagan will be back too as he was named assistant.

Eichel was named an assistant captain as well, but it is likely that he doesn't return.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #488
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yep, exactly. There are a lot of other very valid reasons as to why players choose to sign with the team that drafted them, but in the end the single most important reason is what kind of an opportunity the team can provide them in order to make the NHL and those corresponding big salaries.

With that being said, I do think that the Flames are indeed a club that is looked upon favorably as of late as a team that provides opportunity, as evidenced by the NCAA FA signings organizationally. Gaudreau's rise up the lineup and his success helps in that regard as well, but so does a guy like Jooris who showed the Flames he earned the right to be in the NHL, and the Flames obliged by making room on the opening day roster.

Unfortunately, the better Jankowski does next season, the more posters will doubt that he will sign with the Flames. Will make for a bit of a funny contrast to the 'bust' and 'mistake' posts though!

I don't think there is anything to worry about until at least a day or two after his next season has ended, and unless the organization and/or Jankowski himself states it won't happen.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:26 AM   #489
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And as you've said previously, it's their one chance to have a say in where they go to have their best shot at making the NHL. They don't have another chance for many years, and by that time their opportunity may have passed them by. Languishing behind a bunch of nhl calibre centers vs going somewhere they can jump in and get nhl experience quickly.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:19 AM   #490
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

While we have a lot of centres in the organization I would say that most of them other than Bennett(hopefully) and Monahan are average or slightly above. I would like to see Janko signed and moved to the AHL where he can broaden/challenge his horizons at a higher level and be given more freedom to work on his offensive skills. Just my opinion. Doesn't mean Im right.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #491
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
don't forget Hickey finished in the top 10 in a lot of the NHL Draft Combine tests:
http://www.topendsports.com/sport/ic...sults-2014.htm

Kid is a natural athlete
The fact that Bennett is on absolutely none of those lists and yet is making a difference in a playoff series as a 18 year old makes me wonder how important that list is, or whether Bennett just had a bad day.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #492
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The fact that Bennett is on absolutely none of those lists and yet is making a difference in a playoff series as a 18 year old makes me wonder how important that list is, or whether Bennett just had a bad day.
Or was quite injured
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #493
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Or was quite injured
Or, my personal favourite theory, he purposely had a bad Combine so the Oilers wouldn't pick him.

The top-ranked guys don't often try as hard at the Combine because they know it won't make any difference in where they get picked. The lower-level guys work harder because they have something to prove.