Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #141
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
There's the video of him skating in the direction of the linesman and then hammering him. I would guess they have that justification.
What Carcillo did was worse than Wideman, by far. That's the point. He skated up to the linesman, intending to do what he did. Wideman, I find that close to impossible to argue. At the very most, Wideman mistook the linesman for someone else, and shoved.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #142
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Sure, obvious is obvious.
He's right though it is bloody annoying when people pretend to know how someone else would react to a made up scenario.
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #143
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is amazing how this statement comes purely because this is a Calgary Flame hockey player. I guarantee if Wideman had been a Canuck instead of a Flame, most of the posts like the one I quoted would be commending the NHL on a job well done. You can say different but it is rather obvious.
Your statement may be true, but it wouldn't have as much to do with their actions as our blind hatred for the 'Nucks. If it was a genuinely good guy like Hamhuis, or even a Sedin I'm willing to be there would be a few people looking at the situation logically.

Last edited by powderjunkie; 02-03-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #144
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone think the appeal takes on a distinct tone of "The league responded the way it did because it was uncomfortable acknowledging the spectre of concussions and head injuries that's at play in the circumstances"?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 02-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #145
Computerjungle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I smell 20 game winning streak! 😀
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Computerjungle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #146
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you NHL!!! Now, can you suspend Kris Russell for 20 games as well? Anything o get these clowns out of our lineup!
Old 02-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #147
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Your statement is true, but it wouldn't have as much to do with their actions as our blind hatred for the 'Nucks.
Exactly. Kind of like defending a player from the team you love no matter what.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #148
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
This happened earlier in January. Muzzin is kind of reckless going in like he did.

So dissentowner... no outrage here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #149
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

A difference I see with Wideman's incident and the incidents with Weber and Muzzin is where the play as. Wideman was behind the play, heading to the bench, and in fact was going against the direction of play. Weber was following play up the ice, to chase a puck. Muzzin was right in the play. Accidents on their accounts but hard to justify an accident on Wideman's account.

I think Wideman's was an accident, but I understand the ruling. Still shocked at the high amount of games. Makes me wonder if the NHLOA was trying to pressure for rest of season or more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #150
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
He's right though it is bloody annoying when people pretend to know how someone else would react to a made up scenario.
I think past experiences have pretty clearly shown that in similar situations fans act with a bias towards their team.

It's not exactly a radical assumption. Fans are homers, this is pretty clear.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #151
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about this one?

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #152
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

well they likely knew he would appeal so gave him 20 because they knew it would be knocked back down
Old 02-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #153
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
I believe the precedent being set is you're always responsible for your actions, whether deliberate or not. He smoked an unsuspecting official and should have had ample time to move/react. 20 games is harsh, as it seemed reckless but not deliberate. I would have given 10 games.
I suppose, but I do think that makes for a bad precedent. If they rule it intentional , fine, 20 sounds right. I think if they do rule that way,the appeal is much more likely to succeed.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #154
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

League got it right. If this happened with Hall instead of Wideman I think there wouldn't be so much defending going on.

Wideman made a dumb play while he was mad and frustrated and will deservingly pay the price. Hopefully this spells the end of him as a Flame.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #155
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

#Crosscheckgate??? This scenario stinks to the high heavens.

Players out there who gun for each others brains and smoke them only get a handful of games.

Drug users get 20 games!!! This is craziness when you also take into consideration the financial hit as well. This incident is going to cost Widedog approx $780 000 in Canadian dollars. Does this seem like an appropriate financial cost to a player who collided with an official?

#crosscheckgate it is
Old 02-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #156
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you think through all of this the NHL looked at one camera angle? I don't think so.
I would hope they looked at more, including the other side that shows Wideman's initial contact to look very coincidental.

In the end this is more about protecting their reputation than serving any real justice. The clip that looked terrible pretty much went viral and that was it. The world (even people who never watch hockey) just saw a guy maul an official. Case closed. The NHL went along with that view.

The NHL is always concerned with appeasing people that don't really know or care about the game.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #157
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
If I'm in the NHLPA this reeks of "we don't give a #### about player safety, but if you accidentally hit a linesman, and we feel like giving out a suspension because of the optics, then watch out".
If the NHL was to give a 20 game suspension for a player on player incident, the NHLPA would be the first people complaining - not for the 'victim' but for the 'accused'. Can't have it both ways.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #158
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I don't agree with this, he didn't look right on the bench. He most likely didn't even realize he smoked Henderson. I know this gets a lot of heat but he had to get off the ice to not risk a too-many men on the ice penalty. Brodie already hopped off and was involved in the play.
And I think if he was aware and meant to hit Henderson he would have looked back at him and stared him down.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #159
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious but why are people overly upset about the ruling? Wideman makes a lot of money. He will be fine and really the way fans were going on about how bad he's been this season I don't see what's to be outraged about.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #160
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

appeals almost always get the suspension knocked down
Closed Thread