Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #321
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Howe Sound has an imperial stout called "pot hole filler".

It's one of their best releases and seems to be especially good this year. Highly, highly recommended for the stout fans in the house.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #322
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Thanks I will have to give it a shot. I usually stop in Airdrie once a month on my way to the mountains and stock up. Few good shops there that have a great selection.

Also, CMPunk thanks very much for that website, it is very handy.
Best place to look things up. I'm glad they made it accessible to the public so people could find what they want
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #323
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My favorite beer is Original Joe's Honey Brown brewed for them by Big Rock. You can only get it on tap at OJs. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

I also love Blue Moon...on tap and in a bottle. I usually drink a lot of it when in Whitefish and some friends just brought back a case for me but it didn't last long. Anyone know if it is sold in Calgary?

Krups has a Tassimo type machine but for beer called The BeerTender. More info here: http://www.krups.com/All+Products/Be...Tender/B95.htm

I almost bought one but i am a little disappointed in the beer selection. Anyone have any experience with these machines and are they worth it? Are there other mini kegs out there, readily available, that might work with this unit?
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #324
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Best place to look things up. I'm glad they made it accessible to the public so people could find what they want
Is it accurate? I've had trouble finding some Howe Sound brews myself - everywhere I go "carries" them but are always out of stock. Based on that site there are dozens of places that carry it, which I sort of doubt.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #325
badnarik
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Any homebrewers in the house? I'm dry hopping an Imperial IPA right now.
I'm doing the same. Dry hopping a double ipa in the keg. Unbelievably delicious
badnarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #326
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Is it accurate? I've had trouble finding some Howe Sound brews myself - everywhere I go "carries" them but are always out of stock. Based on that site there are dozens of places that carry it, which I sort of doubt.
The Oakridge co-op has a good selection.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #327
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Technically the site is supposed to show what stores have ordered in the past 3 months for stuff under $30, so sometimes not finding something may be they sold out of their order or have yet to receive it and put it on display. However, with the amount of times I've failed to find what I've been looking for I'm sure there is some sort of data collection/accuracy issue going on. A bunch of times I've looked for a new seasonal brew, gone to where it's supposed to be and am told they've never had it. At least a couple times I've been back to the same store a few weeks later and they still don't have it.

It's still a good site and much better than nothing, but I just take the info with a grain of salt and don't rely on it completely to make a special trip or anything.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stampede2TheCup For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #328
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
My favorite beer is Original Joe's Honey Brown brewed for them by Big Rock. You can only get it on tap at OJs. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

I also love Blue Moon...on tap and in a bottle. I usually drink a lot of it when in Whitefish and some friends just brought back a case for me but it didn't last long. Anyone know if it is sold in Calgary?

Krups has a Tassimo type machine but for beer called The BeerTender. More info here: http://www.krups.com/All+Products/Be...Tender/B95.htm

I almost bought one but i am a little disappointed in the beer selection. Anyone have any experience with these machines and are they worth it? Are there other mini kegs out there, readily available, that might work with this unit?

If you are a fan of Honey Brown's, check out this guy from Newfoundland based brewery Quidi Vidi:

Spoiler!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #329
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm brewing an Imperial Pilsner next. Just finished making a 4L yeast starter for it. Never done a lager before, hopefully it works out.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #330
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't recall if this has been posted here yet:
Spoiler!
(spoiler for size)
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #331
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No other home brewers? Suprising.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #332
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I want to get into it myself. Moving into a bigger house soon, so I'll have more room.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #333
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

This is pretty good.

Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #334
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to do the U-Brew things in Ontario. I wonder what the justification is for not allowing those here?

For those unfamiliar, there are places in Ontario where you go and they supply all the equipment needed for brewing your own batches of beer. You show up, they have all the kettles and everything you need. They also have a list of recipes (if needed) and ingredients (yeasts, hops, grains, etc). You spend a few hours cooking and when done they supply the fermenting container and look after that. You return (with bottles) in a couple weeks and bottle the results.
It lets you try brewing without needing to acquire a lot of equipment.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #335
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I have a home brewing kit sitting here that I got for Christmas a few years ago, not sure how long it stays good for..

I don't have the space in our current condo to make this work.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #336
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You don't need a ton of space for home brewing, you don't really need a whole lot of equipment. You can go to a brewing supply store and get a starter kit, which is usually a 5 gal glass carboy, a 5 gal painters bucket, a siphon, some sanitizer, a blowoff, and a big spoon which is really all you need.

Highly easy, rewarding and cheap to brew your own beer.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #337
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not about to scroll through this entire thread, but I'm curious as to what lower price-point beers people enjoy? It's easy to rattle off higher end or more obscure/niche products, but I've got a new 2 month old baby at home. So while my appreciation of a cold beer at the end of the day hasn't diminished, my budget has! Some I've found that I enjoy - Keystone/Keystone Light, or President's Choice Light, surprisingly.

Others?
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #338
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Not about to scroll through this entire thread, but I'm curious as to what lower price-point beers people enjoy? It's easy to rattle off higher end or more obscure/niche products, but I've got a new 2 month old baby at home. So while my appreciation of a cold beer at the end of the day hasn't diminished, my budget has! Some I've found that I enjoy - Keystone/Keystone Light, or President's Choice Light, surprisingly.

Others?
My poverty beer of choice is Lucky Lager.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #339
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

My cheapo friends go through A LOT of this stuff:

Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #340
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'll play beer pong or flip cup with anything but I won't go cheaper then Kieths/Stella/Ricards Red/Corona to actually enjoy.

It's usually one of those or a pricier import. Beer of choice is this:

But I've only seen it sold in Canada as individual tall boys.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beer , conway twitty , drunks , yes conway twitty