Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #41
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope Prout plays tomorrow. You know the Sharks are gonna want payback for last game. Kane needs a beating imo.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #42
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
If you really think about it, what the Canes do after they win is pretty disrespectful to the opposition.

It's pretty hypocritical of Canes fans to think that only they can do that when they win.
It’s definitely disrespectful. They aren’t even that good of a team. Ovechkin got crap for celebrating goals when he is the best at doing it EVER

If you have to play duck duck goose after the game to get your fans excited then maybe that’s a sign that a hockey team shouldn’t be there?
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 02:46 PM   #43
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Agreed. He's been sheltered but has not been a liability. We've had eleven D pairs hit the 50 minute mark this season, here they are sorted by expected goal %:

The top seven are all D pairs we should be comfortable playing in the playoffs as long as they're slotted properly.
Also pretty interesting that the top 2 pairs are Hanifin-Brodie and Giordano-Hamonic. Obviously a small sample size, and I've been really happy with our top 4 D overall, but could swapping Hamonic and Brodie actually be worth doing full-time?
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #44
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think the big gap between Andersson and Prout is sheltering. Prout and Kylington are the only Calgary defenseman that have faced on average players that get out played with their ice time this year. Andersson's average is much closer (though behind) the big four in Calgary.
Yes, this very likely explains the struggles of Giordano-Andersson, Brodie-Andersson, and Hanifin-Andersson as pairs. Top four minutes are much tougher than bottom pair minutes. Andersson has struggled when elevated up the lineup.

But Andersson's been pretty sheltered when with Valimaki or Kylington, just as Stone and Prout have. Those are the more interesting places to be poking and prodding.

Quote:
Additionally, there has to be some right place right time stuff for Prout. For example he's ahead of Brodie, Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington in terms of high danger chances per 60 minutes when we all know not a single of these events came from him..
Is that really just right place right time though, Bingo? If you're in the offensive zone, because you're not hemmed in the defensive zone, you should be expected to be on the ice for more dangerous chances. I think we both agree that he's just doing his simple nob and not directly contributing to offense, but zone time by itself contributes to offense.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #45
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Is that really just right place right time though, Bingo? If you're in the offensive zone, because you're not hemmed in the defensive zone, you should be expected to be on the ice for more dangerous chances. I think we both agree that he's just doing his simple nob and not directly contributing to offense, but zone time by itself contributes to offense.
Do you have a lot of recollections of him getting the puck into the offensive zone, or heroically keeping it in the offensive zone?

So no it can't all be right place right time, but I do think there's a mix of pretty healthy along for the ride mixed in with keeping it simple (which is a skill).

Either way, don't really disagree ... he's solid for a 8/9 guy and shouldn't be the source of ire for a fan base.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #46
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have a lot of recollections of him getting the puck into the offensive zone, or heroically keeping it in the offensive zone?
Not at all. I do have recollection of him hitting the net a few times though in past games, which probably led to rebound chances. I suspect though he's broken up a few cycles because that pair usually breaks it out quick and early from my viewings.

My take on Prout is that he's basically just a Sarich type scrub, but in sheltered minutes he is able to pressure the puck and let his partner carry the play. But for a #9D, or even #7, that's solid. Which is a huge step up from a liability. I do wonder if the team when healthy could benefit from swapping full pairs - Kylington-Prout/Stone and Valimaki-Andersson/Stone - instead of forcing the Kylington-Andersson pair.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-06-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #47
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sarich was 10x the player Prout is.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #48
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have to say, to me, Prout looks way better lately then he did earlier in the season
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #49
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wills mentioned Karlsson did not travel with the team to Calgary - so will miss tomorrow. Interesting.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:30 PM   #50
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
Austin Czarnik? I forgot you were here. You may go now.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #51
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
It’s definitely disrespectful. They aren’t even that good of a team. Ovechkin got crap for celebrating goals when he is the best at doing it EVER

If you have to play duck duck goose after the game to get your fans excited then maybe that’s a sign that a hockey team shouldn’t be there?
It might not be everyone’s cup of tea but is it disrespectful when the other team has left the ice?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #52
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I do notice about Prout is two things:

1) He gets the puck in corners/front of the net. He is good at it. Handling the puck? Not so much... but honestly better than I thought he would be at it.

2) Give him the puck at the opposing blue-line, and he shoots it. Almost every single time. Very "Hamilton-esque" to me, but with a much worse shot. Still, he often gets it on net. Perhaps the high danger chances are when it happens through traffic? Or when there is a rebound? I usually notice that the goalie has little trouble with the shot - often is a controlled rebound to an open corner, or just catches and freezes the puck.

Either way, I think we can all agree on that Prout is no offensive defencemen, but he is competent. Outside of the first Vancouver game where Pettersson made him look a bit silly (but that kid is definitely good, and there was not real 'book' on Pettersson for Prout to know about), I felt that Prout has done a good job all season filling-in when necessary.

He has done a good enough job that I am glad he is on the team. It might be huge for the playoffs if injuries start piling up again, or simply in case you go up against a team that is built with large wingers that forecheck well. Both Andersson and Kylington have trouble along the boards against bigger players, so to me it is not surprising that they have lower numbers overall as a pair. However, they just need to get some more 'man-strength' like Brodie has, or just practice handling the puck in-tight along the boards more deftly like Brodie.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:59 AM   #53
Snapshot
Draft Pick

Quote:

My take on Prout is that he's basically just a Sarich type scrub.
Excuse me, what? It looks like some of your ability to judge defensemen has been miscalibrated lately.
Snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #54
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

What the H?

I drop a harmless joke about Prout yesterday and 24 hours later we're still talking about him?

Prout's parents don't talk about Prout this much.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #55
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

GranteedEV thinks many players are crap plugs while getting overly defensive of others and won't be convinced otherwise
Old 02-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #56
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

with 20+ years on this site there are two things that never change ...

1) a lot of fans hate fourth liners and 7th defensemen
2) a lot of fans want young players in the lineup over vets

the first one never sorts out as they're is always someone in that role, and eventually they'll be disliked.

the second one is a good idea when the young players are good, but a mess when the torches are being carried for the likes of Dustin Boyd.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #57
Snapshot
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
GranteedEV thinks many players are crap plugs while getting overly defensive of others and won't be convinced otherwise
I'm sure that happens everywhere. Just hard to compare Dalton Prout favorably with Cory Sarich, or to prefer Brett Kulak to Travis Hamonic.
Snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
with 20+ years on this site there are two things that never change ...

1) a lot of fans hate fourth liners and 7th defensemen
2) a lot of fans want young players in the lineup over vets

the first one never sorts out as they're is always someone in that role, and eventually they'll be disliked.

the second one is a good idea when the young players are good, but a mess when the torches are being carried for the likes of Dustin Boyd.
And offensive players are loved while defensive is overlooked. And dangly offensive players are highly valued while guys that just score without dipsy doodling aren't as much.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 09:56 AM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Feb 6 Practice Notes. Hamonic, Hathaway return. Gaudreau, Prout maintenance day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
I'm sure that happens everywhere. Just hard to compare Dalton Prout favorably with Cory Sarich, or to prefer Brett Kulak to Travis Hamonic.
I think GranteedEV is a little like Corey Pronman in how he evaluates players. I would guess from his posts that he fixates on skating and speed to a fault that obstructs other very important player attributes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #60
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Sarich

The Flames had some talented teams back then and were held back by constantly playing Bouwmeester and Giordano with Sarich. Sarich might have had some positives that people who love physical play loved but people really forget how much of a shackle he was on overall team play. We also paid him like a top 4 guy when he should have been a third pair guy at best. He wasn't Chris Butler bad but he was a blight on this team with how we used him. The Brent Sutter era was not a pleasant era and only had a few positives and Sarich was not one of them. I don't think it's a coincidence Sarich and Hartley never saw eye to eye and while Hartley had his flaws, he was still a coach who kind of favoured the skill game like I do.

Maybe Sarich was more effective before the lockout, when you could basically bearhug guys defensively and there was no two line pass. I don't doubt it. But I never loved him in his time here and if fans of his intangibles take exception to that, it's their right but let's not act like he was Regehr or Hamonic.

Re: Kulak
He wasn't an offensive defenseman or a physical player, but he was incredibly steady. I think he will have a very solid career as an all-arounder defenseman. But I valued Hamonic less last year because we had Hamilton and Brodie, who I felt should have been playing on the right side for us instead of forced on a pair with Hamonic on the left. Without Hamilton, Hamonic is far more valuable to us at present than Kulak would be. But that doesn't mean Kulak doesn't have the ability to be part of a really effective defense pair within his limitations. MMF can "small sample size" me all he wants but his success with Weber was no coincidence - it was a nice fit of complementsty skillsets and two very steady players. They've since played Mete more with Weber and their top pair hasn't been so steady, but I guess they want Mete to get that development which is valid.

I'm not going to apologize for my opinions, even if I know some people like MMF/LWCrowfoot think so ill of me as to petulantly diss me on other forums. I'd rather be true to myself than try to please others, though I know sometimes I can be condescending online without meaning to be. I am sorry about the condescension.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-07-2019 at 12:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: