Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #13921
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just me or has there been a ton of overvaluing Kadri lately? I don't really recall him being that good, plus he's prone to doing stupid things on the ice.

Personally I'd target someone else and pass on Kadri altogether.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #13922
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Keep Travis Hamonic.

I understand sometimes you have to trade quality for quality, but I think Hamonic is someone who makes the Flames better.
Don’t want him to go. We are better with him.

Only reason I can see him on the list if he’s told the Flames he is going to ufa, presumably to sign in Winnipeg really close to home. Maybe he’s given the flames the courtesy that he won’t be back so they can get something of value while they can.

Pure speculation on my part, but puzzled to see hamonic up there and not Brodie
Old 05-17-2019, 10:11 PM   #13923
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
An average top 4 D with warts on an expiring contract isn't returning young cost controlled players like Kapanen or a 2C with term on a good deal. Calling kadri a middle 6 player is a little disingenuous. Most teams he would be a 2C (he's better than backlund imo). He's only 3C in TO because of depth. I think kadri is the guy getting underrated around here. One down year and he's worth brodie? Who in the last 3 years has looked like trash with the exception of this past year where he was average.
Brodie had been a liability for the vast majority of the past three years. Unplayable at times. The Flames should move him for picks. Take the cap space and fill his spot internally.

I'm also with you on Kadri. He's a 2C on the Flames & the Leafs aren't looking to give him away. If they do move him, the principle piece coming back won't be a player with one year left on his deal. At least not with some reassurance the player will resign and fit their cap structure.

Not sure how much interest the Leafs would have in Brodie who has one year left and will likely be looking to get paid while Kadri's deal looks like it is solid value. If I'm the Leafs, I'm looking elsewhere.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 11:54 PM   #13924
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Brodie had been a liability for the vast majority of the past three years. Unplayable at times. The Flames should move him for picks. Take the cap space and fill his spot internally.

I'm also with you on Kadri. He's a 2C on the Flames & the Leafs aren't looking to give him away. If they do move him, the principle piece coming back won't be a player with one year left on his deal. At least not with some reassurance the player will resign and fit their cap structure.

Not sure how much interest the Leafs would have in Brodie who has one year left and will likely be looking to get paid while Kadri's deal looks like it is solid value. If I'm the Leafs, I'm looking elsewhere.
the caveat is that the Leafs have major cap issues coming up, not to mention making 2 bone headed plays in two consecutive playoffs, which many think cost them the series.

i would agree that Brodie would not be of much interest to the Leafs, but not because of talent, but because of the aforementioned cap issues... Brodie's 4.5 million dollar contract means that they exchange one cap issue for another....

not sure how overrated he is, but he's scored 30 goals twice in the last three years, and as far as i know, he's not riding shotgun with Marner and Matthews for the majority of his ice time.

he'd certainly be overvalued by Toronto however, and it would cost us at least Kylington + to get him.

he'd be a clear upgrade on the bottom two lines imo and plays with an edge...his problem is one of controlling that emotion...

not saying Calgary should trade for him, but no harm in kicking the tires to see what it would take to acquire him either
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 11:58 PM   #13925
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Only Kasperi Kapanen from the Leafs. Anyone else I would want isn't leaving that team. I.e, Anderson, Matthews, Reilly.
i would add Johnsson to the list as desirable guys... not sure if he's on the Leafs no trade list, but he probably ought to be or is on the cusp
Old 05-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #13926
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Calling Brodie a liability is absolutely laughable. He is a top pairing defender by any metric

Is Giordano the best player of all time? Because you would have to be to win the Norris partnered with a liability. Which he is going to do.

Giordano’s two Norris seasons came with Brodie as his partner (he was a lock to win before his injury years ago).
Old 05-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #13927
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie's a heck of a mobile defender whose style lends itself to puck gaffes at times. Giordano's good enough at all ends of the ice to help paper over the things Brodie isn't amazing at.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Old 05-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #13928
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Patrick Roy interviewing for Sens head coach. Yes....please.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1129787786435878912
Old 05-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #13929
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt the leafs would be too interested in one year of Brodie in exchange for roster players. I could see them consider a deal around Hanifin(4.95M x 5) for Nylander(6.96M x 5). Both are about the same age, and Toronto gets to save 2M in cap space. Though I am not too sure as to who would be adding and how much to make it work. Nylander didn't have a great year last year, but I think a lot of it had to do with not starting the year on time.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #13930
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Looking over the updated TSN Trade Bait board and...Travis Hamonic at #11? Weird.

https://www.tsn.ca/kessel-tops-first...ring-1.1307202

Has he been in any trade conversation this past year? Seems like an odd choice.
Especially with no Brodie to be seen in there. TSN has always been out to lunch when it comes to the Flames, I think Todd Button leaks bs to his brother that isn't true to throw everyone off. Hammer isn't going anywhere.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #13931
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Calling Brodie a liability is absolutely laughable. He is a top pairing defender by any metric.
By any metric? Lol, no, no he isn't.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #13932
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Only Kasperi Kapanen from the Leafs. Anyone else I would want isn't leaving that team. I.e, Anderson, Matthews, Reilly.
Kapanen started the season strong but his offense and play died off second half of the season. His biggest attribute is his speed.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #13933
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Especially with no Brodie to be seen in there. TSN has always been out to lunch when it comes to the Flames, I think Todd Button leaks bs to his brother that isn't true to throw everyone off. Hammer isn't going anywhere.
I don't know that they're looking to trade Brodie. When he plays with Gio over a full year, Gio is a Norris level player. This has been true for five or six years.

When Hamilton played with Gio, he was a 40-50 point #1D.

Brodie brings out the best in Gio. He's an imperfect player, but he fits well with our captain. Every other defenseman on the roster outside Hamonic should be on the powerplay before him.

I'm fine not trading any of the top 4 D this summer, but salaries will likely make that impossible.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #13934
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I don't know that they're looking to trade Brodie. When he plays with Gio over a full year, Gio is a Norris level player. This has been true for five or six years.

When Hamilton played with Gio, he was a 40-50 point #1D.

Brodie brings out the best in Gio. He's an imperfect player, but he fits well with our captain. Every other defenseman on the roster outside Hamonic should be on the powerplay before him.

I'm fine not trading any of the top 4 D this summer, but salaries will likely make that impossible.

Except in the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #13935
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I doubt the leafs would be too interested in one year of Brodie in exchange for roster players. I could see them consider a deal around Hanifin(4.95M x 5) for Nylander(6.96M x 5). Both are about the same age, and Toronto gets to save 2M in cap space. Though I am not too sure as to who would be adding and how much to make it work. Nylander didn't have a great year last year, but I think a lot of it had to do with not starting the year on time.
Yeah just what we need. Another soft euro who pouts. no thanks.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #13936
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Except in the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brodie is better than 0.5 PPG in the playoffs for his career. And even after this year's debacle, he was only -1. He was PPG two years ago against the Ducks playing with Stone.

Brodie's not the reason they didn't win, and he contributes to far more successes than failures. Don't be in a hurry to trade him.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #13937
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
This move would be to address a deficiency of offense.

The Flames just finished 2nd in the entire league in goal scoring.

Makes no sense as you weaken a part of the team that needs to be better and strengthen a part of the team that is already elite.

Trade Brodie by all means, but deal him for something the team needs.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #13938
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
This move would be to address a deficiency of offense.

The Flames just finished 2nd in the entire league in goal scoring.

Makes no sense as you weaken a part of the team that needs to be better and strengthen a part of the team that is already elite.

Trade Brodie by all means, but deal him for something the team needs.
Cap space and prospects.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #13939
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie is generally a good player, but he makes some boneheaded plays that make me wonder what Anders Eriksson is up to these days. The frequency of Brodie's misplays is just unforgivable for a player that gets as much ice-time as he does. I find no pleasure in writing this because he is a wonderful and generous person in the community, but really hope we can sell high on him before the season starts. I think some team will overpay for his flashy stats.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #13940
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Brodie is generally a good player, but he makes some boneheaded plays that make me wonder what Anders Eriksson is up to these days. The frequency of Brodie's misplays is just unforgivable for a player that gets as much ice-time as he does. I find no pleasure in writing this because he is a wonderful and generous person in the community, but really hope we can sell high on him before the season starts. I think some team will overpay for his flashy stats.
I must say Brodie has nothing on Pietranegelo when it comes to bone headed mistakes and he's a top pairing guy on a team a few games from the finals.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread