Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2015, 06:04 PM   #121
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, just added it to Memory Alpha since they allow anyone to edit.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Contagion_%28episode%29#Continuity
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #122
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update with some very encouraging news as Bryan Fuller is named showrunner and co-creator.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/09...k-bryan-fuller

Veteran Trek writer who has become a very talented show creator in the last decade? Perfect!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #123
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Update with some very encouraging news as Bryan Fuller is named showrunner and co-creator.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/09...k-bryan-fuller

Veteran Trek writer who has become a very talented show creator in the last decade? Perfect!
Quote:
One where you could go back to the spirit and color of the original Star Trek, because somehow, it got cold over the years.
Yeah I dont know about that. I was never a fan of TOS, I enjoyed the spirit of TNG much better. And I like my star ships to be high tech and not cheezy 60's backgrounds.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #124
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Yeah I dont know about that. I was never a fan of TOS, I enjoyed the spirit of TNG much better. And I like my star ships to be high tech and not cheezy 60's backgrounds.
Personally I want them to recapture the spirit of 'Star Trek: The Animated Series.'

Now that was quality.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #125
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Exclamation

Quote:
I'm sure that it will still have all of the available tech and cool spaceships that are in the newer sci-fi programs, but if you look back at the set design/costume/ect of the first two seasons of TOS, they are quite a bit more beautiful than what we saw in the following series.

It would be nice to see a world that is not that sterile. They moved back to a more interesting look for some episodes of DS9, but for the most part Star Trek was a pretty visually boring universe.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:09 PM   #126
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The enterprise in TNG TV was god awful and stupid looking.

It basically looked like an office chair with the back folded forward.

And it had what a thousand people on board and they bought their families. And then they took them into combat. Like that was sane.

And the inside looked like a cheesy condo instead of a actual ship at sea, with the soft pastel colors and plush carpeting.

Oh and every crew member including ensign Ricky had a three room condo suite, so they'd need like a thousand of these things. How the hell does that make any sense. "Ensign boner please report to the bridge" "Give me 10 Riker I'm in my hot tub"

And don't get me into that utterly stupid bridge separation.

Oh and even in their worst battles, the ship never looked like it was hurt, no dropping conduits or exploding wires, or fires. So you never ever felt like the crew was in danger.

The best looking Enterprise was from TWOK, it looked like a battleship, the bridge looked functional and like a real star ship instead of the control panel of a cell phone like TNG.

Even the later Enterprise when they fought the borg was a great design.

But the TNG enterprise.

Ugly
Lame
Plushy

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 02-09-2016 at 04:11 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #127
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rate the Starship!

1) Enterprise
2) Star Trek
3) DS9 (Defiant)
4) TNG
5) Voyager

I'm not getting into the movie ships. If I thought too much about the Enterprise flying out of an ocean, or being built on the ground in the first place, I'll just get mad.

I also accidentally just found this.
Spoiler!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #128
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Star Ship ratings

1) Enterprise (TWOK, SFS) (NCC 1701 refit 2) - Can't go wrong with the classics and actually looked like a functioning starship. Went back to the OS Bridge layout
2) Enterprise (TFF TUC NCC (1701 A) - a rebuild of the classic, had a updated bridge, we saw the crew quarters and galley.
3) Enterprise (STFC,INS NEM) (1701 E) - Just looked like a brutally powerful ship. I didn't really like the interior design of it, but the effects scenes of it in combat and just gliding through space like a shark was the best part of 3 pretty piss poor movie efforts)
4) Enterprise (OS) (1701) - yes it looked cheap inside but it had cool crawl spaces and it was unlike any sci fi vehicle ever seen before

5) Defiant (ST DS9) - A great attempt at a departure, this was a pure warship, but it was more of a corvette then a lumbering fleet ship. It was built to purely blast things and get away.
6) Enterprise (STE) (NX-01) looked like a crude attempt at advanced space travel. But I liked it because it was designed to look like a first run ship. It was cramped and simple and the bridge actually had a area that resembled a CIC
7) Voyager (Voyager) - I hated this ship, it was basically a flying sofa and they tried oh god they tried to make it cool with the folding warp nacelles
8) Enterprise (STNG) (1701 D) - garbage, I've said all I can say about this thing

Not listed but favorites

1) Klingon Bird of Prey (TNG, SFS, Generations DS9) - Just an awesome design, it was cramped and ugly on the inside, but it looked like a vicious predator with a cloaking device so it could sneak up and punch you in the balls)
2) Klingon K-Tinga Cruiser (TOS, STTMP, Generations, TUC) - Great ship design to counter the Enterprise, it again looked like a menace.

Dorkfaces romulan ship from Nemisis - I mean its stupid enough not to care about the name. Designed to be the ultimate bad a$$ ship with 8 billion torpedo tubes, but walls thin enough to crash a shuttle through. Oh and it had an incredibly dangerous reactor vent on the bridge that could blow up the whole ship with a single phaser shot. 10 billion times worse then putting a tiny reactor port over a main reactor.

Just dumb.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #129
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple updates on crew news, show is making a lot of good moves early on here. Hopefully it translates to success!

Nicholas Meyer (writer/director of Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country, two of the best films) joins new series as writer and producer.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/26...nicholas-meyer

Rod Roddenberry, Gene's son, signs on as a producer. More for the name than anything, but still cool to have a Roddenberry involved.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/03...od-roddenberry

Meyer on the direction the new series is heading:

Quote:
The one thing I can relate to you is that The Undiscovered Country—according to Bryan [Fuller]—is a real sort of taking off point, or touchstone for how I guess he’s thinking about the direction of the new show. I don’t want to be misquoted and I don’t want to misquote him, but he’s fond of that film. Let’s put it that way.
Quote:
I think that Bryan [Fuller]—who is a very clever fellow—has ideas—some of which I’ve heard—that are innovative and different. Different is what got me interested.
http://www.treknews.net/2016/03/01/n...ent-star-trek/
Old 03-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #130
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
My biggest worry with a reboot is the potential for lazy writing. Just take the best parts of the old universe and just redo them, but "edgier".

I'd prefer the new series to be set in the original universe. As long, as the plot wasn't overly dependent on the original series, it could work. Given the amount of time, that's passed since the previous series, that wouldn't be too hard to pull off. They could even do what TNG and TOS did and have it start 100 years after the previous series. This allows you to keep the other shows as cannon but essentially create a new universe.

But yeah, I think it's going to be entirely a reboot. I just hope they don't continuously pull in TNG actors in for cameos via some extra-dimensional transport.
One of the worst franchises to reboot, so much of the lore and story was brilliant with tons of room for expansion. The Borg were always my favorite and seemed to have so much room for story exploring
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #131
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
One of the worst franchises to reboot, so much of the lore and story was brilliant with tons of room for expansion. The Borg were always my favorite and seemed to have so much room for story exploring
I would agree with this, except I loved the Borg at the start, they were a great faceless and ruthless enemy based around a one mind one objective. Then the franchise went around and fully wrecked them. By the time Voyager came around, the Borg were actually just another stupid enemy.

the introduction of the Queen was just a bad idea, and made them bees or wasps instead of what they should have and could have been.

I always had this concept in mind that the Borg started out as normals like us and then slowly became addicted to technology to make their life more perfect. They viewed machines as slaves to that goal, until they realized the perfection and paradise of the machine and willingly took that last step and plugged themselves in and let the Computers do their thinking for them. The computer then enslaved them all in a second in the name of perfection, and then sought to spread that perfection to the rest of the galaxy.

Instead we got this creepy jealous kind of horny queen who becomes worse and worse, and we also get the individual pirate borg under Data's brother (don't get me into that whole badly acted mess.

If we had a borg who were true worker bees that were just executing orders from a cold emotional pragmatic simple machine that would have been far better.

Even though the Borg Queen was bought in for the fan boys to sexualize the enemy.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #132
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #133
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see....lens flares. The voiceover is horrible.

Hopefully they at least do some "intellectual" Trek episodes, and it's not all action.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #134
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I like that the series takes place between Undiscovered Country and Next Generation in the original universe.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #135
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

There'll be a lot of political intrigue between the Klingons and Star Fleet as they transition to partners from Undiscovered country and onward.

It'll also make room for some NCC-1701B action which I think will make for a good series.

I think the timeline fits for that. Any Trekkies know what the time span was between Undiscovered Country and the Maiden Voyage of Enterprise B was?
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #136
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Wikipedia says Undiscovered Country and the beginning of Star Trek Generations (maiden voyage of 1701-B) took place in the same year.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:05 AM   #137
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet! Loved the Excelsior class ship. The lovable failure.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #138
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Wikipedia says Undiscovered Country and the beginning of Star Trek Generations (maiden voyage of 1701-B) took place in the same year.
That didn't seem right, but it makes sense because the Enterprise A from UDC was decommissioned right after the events of UDC, so basically the original enterprise crew turned the keys in and went to the commissioning ceremony of the B.

You know, and I know it was impossible at the time of generations, but I really think that there was this real lack of closure for the Original Crew, it would have been nice to see the original cast gathering one more time at a wake for Kirk.

Of course if it was real life, Scotty and Sulu would have been drunkenly throwing insults at Kirks coffin before firing it into space and Spock and Uhura would have been making out in the broom closet while Chekov would have been deciding on whether to wear his work hair piece or his formal occasions hair piece.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:35 AM   #139
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've always said that it would be nice to set the federation stories aside for a while. I would love to see a mirror universe series that shows the rise and corruption and fall of the United Empire of Planets. I think a whole series from a villains point of view that takes place shortly after the mirror mirror incident where Spock starts breaking down the Empire would be a great story.

I would also love to see the seedier side of the Galaxy, we know it exists because we see lots of examples of where the idealized idea of the moneyless federation doesn't exist or just plain doesn't work. Where the people are scrapping by to survive by smuggling or doing bad things to upset the order of the galaxy and don't want to be cogs in the federation machine, I'd like to call it Star Trek Deep Space Occupy.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #140
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

You know, and I know it was impossible at the time of generations, but I really think that there was this real lack of closure for the Original Crew, it would have been nice to see the original cast gathering one more time at a wake for Kirk.

It's literally the perfect closure for the original crew. But they wanted that sweet, sweet "Picard/Kirk team-up" box office cheese.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: