Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #201
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Don't let them watch hockey with you.

I'm quite serious. One of mine was scared of everything from the moment I got her, and while she slowly got better as I introduced her to things, 'led the way,' or got her used to things that spooked her (terrifying things, like, y'know, a pile of snow on the road that fell off the bottom of someone's car on,) there was always this regression whenever I started yelling at the TV.

When I got a second dog a few years later, it's like he was her confidence, and she got better almost immediately. But when he got older, they both started hiding under the bed whenever I watched hockey.

Instead of loud 'WTFs', I've trained myself to close my eyes and take a deep breath, and now we're all happy but me when the Flames are sucking.

I honestly think she would be more scared when the flames are winning, as that's when I get excited. I cheer more than I curse.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #202
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Our rescue was very scared and timid to begin with as well. He was somewhat crate trained and that seemed to help a ton. He had his own space and could go in there whenever he got overwhelmed. How long have you had your rescue? Once our buddy was settled in he came out of his shell in a few days. Every so often he’ll still have a relapse after 7 years of being with us and he still goes to his crate to hang out for a bit.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #203
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Our rescue is a bit of a special case. She wasn't really able to walk this summer, and we got her around September. She has chosen a little closet, and is pretty well crate trained as well - she's come a huge, long way. She can go for walks with us now, and even went on a road trip with us. She just tends to spend a little too much time in her little hidey-hole. She'd spend all day there, if we let her. I'm just looking for some additional reference material, specific to scared dogs
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #204
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
She's terrified of stuffed animals. Afraid they are going to squeak, which is like a total no around her. Clicking is bad, but a squeak is terrifying. Also, she's smaller than nearly all the dog toys available on the market. As for playing with toys, no teeth, so that's a bit hard too.

I think I have the vague generalities right, but it's the details I need help with.
How long have you had her? We got a rescue back in August. She wasn't necessarily scared of toys at first, but she would have nothing to do with them. Oh and yeah if they squeaked, she would scamper away. I think she grew up without toys, and had no concept of them.

For the first while we were a little bit worried because she would be home alone for a couple hours with nothing to do. I had to slowly coax her into liking toys of any sort. Started with a Kong, which she would pick at on her own, but still nothing else for a while.

Finally after a few weeks of gaining our trust, she was getting comfortable playing with us. That's when I introduced a few toys. Whenever she would open up herself to belly rubs or visibly in play mode (butt up!), I would get a toy and play with her and the toy. Imagine our joy when she finally started playing with it! Fast forward a couple more months, and now she plays with nearly all the toys we give her.

Best solution for us was time gaining our trust, then trusting we would give her something safe to play with I guess.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #205
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That’s funny. Our timid rescue has never really come around to toys. He will show slight interest in them, but that fades fast. Or he will just pick it up and put it in his crate or bed and then leave it be.

Kudos to all of you who rescued timid dogs dog gave them another chance at life!
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #206
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
Our rescue is a bit of a special case. She wasn't really able to walk this summer, and we got her around September. She has chosen a little closet, and is pretty well crate trained as well - she's come a huge, long way. She can go for walks with us now, and even went on a road trip with us. She just tends to spend a little too much time in her little hidey-hole. She'd spend all day there, if we let her. I'm just looking for some additional reference material, specific to scared dogs
Donia at Whiskers and Wags Pet Services does amazing work with dogs. May be worth contacting her. Good luck.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:38 AM   #207
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

My wife surprised Mushu while he was trying to groom himself.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:09 AM   #208
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to say goodbye to my cat Beacon late this morning and watch him take his last breath. We had him for 16 years after we adopted him when he was about 2. He went through alot in his life starting with being abandoned twice before we adopted him and then getting glaucoma and losing one his eyes, getting diabetes, and losing all but five of his teeth.

We expected it to happen in the coming months as he had been losing weight the last year and when my dad took him to the vet this summer he was told that the vet suspected he had a mass in his stomach and that he could open him up but didn't think he could do much for him whether it was cancerous or not. My parents decided after all the operations he's gone through in his life and going to vet being too stressful on him to just let him live out whatever time he had left as long as he wasn't in pain. Because of the mass he vomited every so often so my parents had to give him a pill to prevent dehydration but other than that he seemed pretty happy.

He had been slowing down and having trouble walking the past few months and things started getting bad on Wednesday when my mom said he wasn't eating and his walking was getting worse. Then later that night he collapsed and couldn't get up no matter how hard he tried. We knew then the end was coming so we just tried to make things as comfortable for him and made sure someone was with him at all times. He wasn't eating but he was still trying to drink water. He was still peeing even though he was losing control of holding it before we got him to the litter but he was too weak to try and go to the washroom.

I woke up this morning and was told he was less responsive than yesterday. About an hour later he tried to sit up which was usually a sign he wanted to pee so we took him downstairs and I held him in the litter so he could go and noticed he was peeing but wasn't even trying anymore to support himself. I gave him back to my mom and she wrapped him in a blanket and took him back upstairs and I went to the kitchen to get something to eat and she started crying saying she thought he was gone. She picked him up and brought him over to me and I saw him lift his head back like he was trying to grasp for air and then went limp. I called my dad and told him to get home and then just sat on the couch in shock until it finally set in he was gone. I couldn't help but wonder if I had done something when holding him in the litter and then handing him to my mom that caused something but they told me to not think like that and that it was just his time to go.

As disappointed as I was having to move back home for a while I'm glad I was able to spend some time with him after only seeing him a couple times a year when I would come home to visit. It's sad but one thing I'm grateful for is he passed away on his terms instead of having his life cut short getting hit by a car like two of my other cats.

Rest in peace bud.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:31 AM   #209
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for sharing, and very sorry for your loss. I volunteer at the City Animal Services building on Portland Street. If anyone reading this is ever interested in adopting a cat PM me or check out the city website as they have adoptable animals listed on there. Ive volunteered with nearly all of the adoptable cats so know them well. Part of your story says your cat was abandoned twice. We have one right now up for adoption who has been abandoned twice, and is the sweetest girl.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Drummer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 04:19 PM   #210
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I ever posted about it much, or at all, but last year I lost my wife and son. The house was getting extremely lonely so I decided I need a companion.

This morning I adopted this little guy. He had already been adopted once before and whoever took him in didn't realise their kid was allergic to him so they neglected him a bit before dumping him at a shelter.

Already thrilled to have this guy in my life. CP, meet Copper! He's 5 months old and hasn't really had any training yet but I can't wait to see what kind of trouble him and I get into over the coming years!

Spoiler!

Last edited by btimbit; 01-22-2018 at 04:21 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #211
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Just put down my beautiful tortoise shell female who was 16 in December and now her brother a nice tabby is doing the same.

It's sad . Healthiest guy ever just boom sick, not eating , drinking.....just devastated here.

When you have them for this long there more than family. My guy waits at the door or in the window. God I miss them from when they are kittens .

When they get sick and die this fast after .....I'm just numb. Such great pets....especially when I consider them family.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #212
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry for your losses, Everest and Inferno.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #213
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, we're hoping one of our other cats Bailey doesn't start failing now. Him and Beacon not only were adopted together but their cages were side by side at the shelter. Up until about six years ago when we brought in a stray kitten we named Mickey they were our only cats so they became inseparable.

After Beacon passed away yesterday we left him wrapped up on the couch for a while and Bailey jumped up and sat beside him and put his head next to his. My mom said all he's done today is sit in his bed and isn't his usual chatty self. Hopefully our other cats will prevent him from getting too depressed.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #214
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

So sorry to hear about your losses. They were so well loved.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #215
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So sorry for your losses Inferno and Everlast (Keith) and welcome to btimbit's new love!
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #216
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

When a whiskey jack lands on your lunch bowl...

Spoiler!
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #217
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a cat that was our first pet for my wife and I and she's nearing 17 years old. According to the last vet check she's doing okay but I get kind of sad knowing that she's not going to be around a lot longer as she's been part of our lives for so long now.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:40 AM   #218
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: nvm

Last edited by btimbit; 01-26-2018 at 05:18 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #219
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I don't currently own a dog (condo living), and so I get my dog fix from checking out Dog Rates on Twitter every now and then. And this was just posted recently, and I still cannot get over this smile. Such a good boy.

https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/956692843803889669
Old 01-27-2018, 01:35 PM   #220
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

This is my adopted mutt Scamp McDog, I call her girlfriend. She likes to sing along to music. The first time she did it I was driving on Deerfoot and it scared the heck out of me.

https://youtu.be/AE-0332N8m0

Last edited by Angelamc; 01-27-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post: