Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #41
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

House of Cards has had great reception and from all accounts has been a big plus for Netflix. All they need to do is get more subscribers and apparently that has been the result.

You have to have your head pretty far in the sand to not realize that Netflix has the better business model.

HBO has tremendous shows, but increased viewership is not from subscribers, but from piracy. Not a very sustainable business model.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #42
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
House of Cards has had great reception and from all accounts has been a big plus for Netflix.
It's well received critically but there are no specific numbers on how popular it is. In terms of cultural footprint, I would say it ranks far below GoT, TWD, Breaking Bad or even a Downton Abbey.

Quote:
All they need to do is get more subscribers and apparently that has been the result.
A season of House of Cards costs more than Netflix earns in a quarter, it has to do a lot more than that.

Quote:
You have to have your head pretty far in the sand to not realize that Netflix has the better business model.
HBO still generates more revenue and earns significantly more profit than Netflix. While it's possible that Netflix will Blockbuster HBO, TV is a $100+ billion industry, who's to say multiple business models won't coexist successfully.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #43
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Again, HBO has great shows. The problem is the way they deliver them.

They are leaving money on the the table because they choose to stick to an archaic business model.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #44
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Wow, twice as expensive as netflix.

Great business model.
The problem is Shaw forces you to buy a bunch of garbage to get HBO. No, I don't want your ####ty Movie Central, but I have to get it if I want HBO.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #45
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

They are leaving money on the the table because they choose to stick to an archaic business model.
No, they aren't, that's the whole point.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #46
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's hard to say, they have strong relationships with cable cos that do most of the marketing and promotion for them and provides a stable source of revenue. Enabling a streaming only option will affect those relationships.

I say it's more of a choice between a table with a known amount of money, and two tables (cable + streaming) where the total amount of money could in fact be smaller. And even if HBO itself made more money, it could have a negative effect on its sister networks which could have been bundled with it before.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #47
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
If you could get an add-on to netflix for $10-$15 for HBO I think I'd do it in a second (I don't subscribe to netflix currently).

I've never subscribed to HBO because I hate shaw and cable pricing of including garbage, so I just wait to some day watch all these great shows out of stubbornness.

But at the same time HBO probably has deals with these guys. I am sure they are looking at expanding. I imagine the capital to create a netflix streaming would be pretty awful if HBO wanted to stream themselves.
Doesn't that pricing schedule for Netflix you described sound very similar to a cable company's pricing schedule? That's kinda like paying different amounts for different channels...
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #48
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
Doesn't that pricing schedule for Netflix you described sound very similar to a cable company's pricing schedule? That's kinda like paying different amounts for different channels...
You can't just get HBO though, you have to pay $18/mo for movie central.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #49
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Being able to subscribe to a single channel like HBO would be huge. Even if it cost $20 as a Netflix add-on that is still significantly lower than even the most basic cable package.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #50
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had heard the govt was pressuring cable providers to offer a la carte channels, so I went looking for some info and found this...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/bundle...mers-1.2054603

Now Im not too sure it's a good idea, it's like revenue sharing for Hockey teams.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #51
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do wonder what the downloaders believe would be a fair price per episode.

Would they consider 3$ to expensive? At what point does someone who is getting something for free without any consequences choose to pay for it if there is no reason to do so.

The only way for HBO so solve this issue is to give added value to having the network and force you to watch it via their own distribution method. Maybe for shows like this they give you the hour long show, then an extra 20 minutes but only via their HBO GO account.

Until the average person figures out torrents HBO wont switch.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #52
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Until the average person figures out torrents HBO wont switch.
You don't think we're there yet? 5.4 million viewers for the finale, vs 5.9 million torrent downloads?

Maybe not the average person, but I would think the average person that watches HBO has figured out how to download a torrent.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #53
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Would they consider 3$ to expensive? At what point does someone who is getting something for free without any consequences choose to pay for it if there is no reason to do so.
Never underestimate the depths of laziness and the value of convenience
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #54
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
You don't think we're there yet? 5.4 million viewers for the finale, vs 5.9 million torrent downloads?
It's 5.4 million American viewers for the first-run episode versus 5.9 million downloaders from around the world. HBO claims somewhere in the neighborhood of 14+ million viewers total for that episode through repeat showings and on-demand. I'd also expect some of the downloaders probably have an HBO subscription and download a copy for archival purposes until the Blu-ray is available.

Besides, as I mentioned before relatively available shows like Breaking Bad, TWD and US broadcast network shows also show up in the top 10.

Quote:
Maybe not the average person, but I would think the average person that watches HBO has figured out how to download a torrent.
But HBO's #2 show, True Blood (which until recently drew more viewers) doesn't show up in the top 10.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #55
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Netflix gained another million plus subscribers in the US and is turning a profit now despite the high cost of their original programming.

Obviously HBO has a good head start, but don't underestimate the power of being able to consistently add subscribers.

5.9 million torrent downloads is concerning for any show. Not sure why that is so hard to understand.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #56
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
5.9 million torrent downloads is concerning for any show. Not sure why that is so hard to understand.
Maybe, but obviously can't be affecting them that much. Since we don't have access to their financials, there's really no way to know how it is affecting them. Besides the GOT DVD/Blu Ray for Season 1 is one of the highest selling TV DVD sets ever. HBO might be leaving some money on the table, but odds are its not very much.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #57
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Seeing those numbers makes me think that HBO had 5.7 million viewers that paid for their service.

Not everyone that pays for HBO will watch their most popular show, so there are more subscribers than that.

5.9 downloaded torrents. How many are in areas that have access to HBO? If we say 2/3 do have access to buying HBO (which is probably high) then 4 million potential customers are torrenting.

Let's say 1/4 will torrent regardless, that's 3 million subscribers they're missing out on.

I believe a subscription is $20 currently, and they lower the cost to $8 to be on par with Netflix to gain those subscribers.

HBO is currently getting in excess of $114 million currently; increasing that to 9.2 million subscribers at $8 per month they would be collecting $73.5 million or 64% of what they currently are getting in subscriptions.

Perhaps HBO does get it? Perhaps they are losing less money with torrenting of GOT than they are by dropping the price and getting more subscribers?

Now these numbers are mostly fictional, so they could very well be wrong, but they might not be far from the truth? What do we know?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #58
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well they don't need to drop the price. They just need to offer a way for people to legally watch their shows beyond cable subscriptions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #59
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Netflix gained another million plus subscribers in the US and is turning a profit now despite the high cost of their original programming.

Obviously HBO has a good head start, but don't underestimate the power of being able to consistently add subscribers.

I am not convinced that they would earn more money with an ala carte offering of some type.

How many people subscribe to HBO after watching the back seasons pf GoT through torrent? How much extra hype is generated by people who torrent? How many of the people who see that hype subscribe to HBO?

If they offered an ala cart service, how many people would pay the $20-$50 it would cost for 10 episodes of GoT and cancel their HBO entirely? I think it is $240 regular price for a year of HBO. I watch 2 shows and cancel the rest of the year, and still at $50 per show, I would be saving a small amount of money.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #60
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I subscribed to HBO because of GoT. I kept the subscription because they always have new episodes through out the year of shows I am interested in.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote