Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Hockey Now accountability thread - questions, comments ...

Sometimes sources don't work out the way you hoped. But you also can't believe everything your read after a blockbuster deal is sealed. So many motivations come into play, and nobody gains from naming names after the fact.

The bottom line for me is I'm not a clickbait Twitter blogger. I pride myself on a long history of unbiased reporting and trying to dig for the truth. My reputation is a voice or reason.

Being part of a network of sites with sources coming through other hubs is new to me, and there will be times I have to trust what's being given to me through the chain.

Regardless of what you believe, I'm here to answer questions as best I can (I can't offer names of sources, etc.) or just take a beating if that's what you want to do. I show up to the Dome after writing controversial pieces for accountability, and I offer to do the same here.

Also, you can read about Tkachuk's reaction here.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...hel-nhl-trade/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:04 PM   #2
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have appreciated the quality of your articles and especially the quantity, reading a bunch of flames stuff. Also appreciate your involvement in the CP community. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-04-2021, 03:17 PM   #3
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Macfarlane View Post
Sometimes sources don't work out the way you hoped. But you also can't believe everything your read after a blockbuster deal is sealed. So many motivations come into play, and nobody gains from naming names after the fact.

The bottom line for me is I'm not a clickbait Twitter blogger. I pride myself on a long history of unbiased reporting and trying to dig for the truth. My reputation is a voice or reason.

Being part of a network of sites with sources coming through other hubs is new to me, and there will be times I have to trust what's being given to me through the chain.

Regardless of what you believe, I'm here to answer questions as best I can (I can't offer names of sources, etc.) or just take a beating if that's what you want to do. I show up to the Dome after writing controversial pieces for accountability, and I offer to do the same here.

Thanks for your hard work, not hard to see how easily a rumor can take on a life of its own.
DazzlinDino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:18 PM   #4
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Appreciate your insights. It is a tough business, I’m sure, and appreciate your accountability too. All the best in this relatively new venture. Will definitely be tuning in regularly to check out the articles
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #5
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think you did anything wrong by compiling the source and the content into your writing. We were all duped it seems.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #6
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

The big takeaway from the last couple of weeks especially is how many parties seem able and willing to manipulate the media by planting information (fake or otherwise) in order to trigger specific reactions.

I could see either scenario being possible following the Tkachuk rumour and subsequent denial:

A) Buffalo wants Krebs, but Vegas won't include him so they "leak" Tkachuk's name in order to get Vegas to ante up and include Krebs.

B) Vegas made their final offer as reported and Buffalo is still dragging their feet, so Vegas leaks the Calgary "offer" to put significant pressure on Buffalo to get something finalized. We saw reports that Buffalo was suddenly really feeling the heat to get something done ASAP.

C) Or if you're Eichel's agent and sick of waiting, releasing information to put pressure on Buffalo also seems like a realistic scenario.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
The big takeaway from the last couple of weeks especially is how many parties seem able and willing to manipulate the media by planting information (fake or otherwise) in order to trigger specific reactions.

I could see either scenario being possible following the Tkachuk rumour and subsequent denial:

A) Buffalo wants Krebs, but Vegas won't include him so they "leak" Tkachuk's name in order to get Vegas to ante up and include Krebs.

B) Vegas made their final offer as reported and Buffalo is still dragging their feet, so Vegas leaks the Calgary "offer" to put significant pressure on Buffalo to get something finalized. We saw reports that Buffalo was suddenly really feeling the heat to get something done ASAP.

C) Or if you're Eichel's agent and sick of waiting, releasing information to put pressure on Buffalo also seems like a realistic scenario.
It begs the question of whether it truly is wise to be "in" on everything if you're ultimately just being used as a pawn to play against bigger fish. With so many "in it, but never close" situations piling up, the credibility of this franchise can't be all that hot. This could end up being another roadblock standing in the way of building a winner.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am curious Steve, for you, how many sources do you typically need before you run with something? One - but that one is well known to be connected? More than one, all the time?

Just curious how much "truthing" goes into it before taking a lead to the masses.
dustyanddaflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

My takeaway from Steve's article is that the convo between BT and Chucky was "brief". Likely Brad saying "Ignore any of that crap, none of it is true, like Darryl said in his presser. Get ready for Dallas. See you at the rink."

Hopefully we can now get back to business and get the players we need to signed to new or extended contracts.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taxbuster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #10
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you think was the best offer the Flames made, either specific players/pieces or in general terms?

Where do you get most of your info from? Agents or those within teams?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #11
Knut

Exp:

Tkachuk could have also been in a potential deal this summer and then pulled from it this fall after the season started and the Flames and Tkachuk had mended fences. Someone hears this and assumes it is still in the offer.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #12
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

My one question/observation about that whole debacle was..

did you or anyone else stop and ask yourself if Tkachuk made any sense in a deal for Buffalo that had stated since day 1, that futures were to be the biggest part of any return.

You do that and immediately im guessing you are going to want further corroboration which likely leads to killing it as a "story"....no?
Old 11-04-2021, 03:49 PM   #13
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyanddaflames View Post
I am curious Steve, for you, how many sources do you typically need before you run with something? One - but that one is well known to be connected? More than one, all the time?

Just curious how much "truthing" goes into it before taking a lead to the masses.
Don't like to do anything with a single source unless it's confirming what's already out there through a second source ... if that makes sense? The source game is challenging because of all the motivations so you try to find two that wouldn't be from the same 'side.'
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #14
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
What do you think was the best offer the Flames made, either specific players/pieces or in general terms?

Where do you get most of your info from? Agents or those within teams?
Agents are great for some aspects but league executives offer different insights. In this case, the sources were not mine but another writer from the Hockey Now network.

I'm not sure in terms of an official offer but from a cap perspective, it's impossible that the Flames could have done this without one of Tkachuk or Monahan, or another higher-priced member of the Flames going back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #15
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks for the write up. Can you be more specific. You said you don't expect Adams to come out and throw Treliving under the bus what does Adams have to gain from protecting Treliving by lying about his availability?

I think the sources were wrong and trying to spin it into "what else is Adams going to say" is not being straightforward with what you know. Your source likely was working with Buffalo to drive up the price.

Tkachuk even as a rental would likely get a big haul so if he was available I'd say buffalo would have taken it.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #16
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
My one question/observation about that whole debacle was..

did you or anyone else stop and ask yourself if Tkachuk made any sense in a deal for Buffalo that had stated since day 1, that futures were to be the biggest part of any return.

You do that and immediately im guessing you are going to want further corroboration which likely leads to killing it as a "story"....no?

Yes, absolutely. In days leading up to the actual trade being finalized last night, the Sabres were backing off the idea of just futures based on their strong start to the season. And Tkachuk is a heck of a player. So he absolutely made sense from a cap perspective for the Flames and an impact player for the Sabres.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #17
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Thanks for the write up. Can you be more specific. You said you don't expect Adams to come out and throw Treliving under the bus what does Adams have to gain from protecting Treliving by lying about his availability?

I think the sources were wrong and trying to spin it into "what else is Adams going to say" is not being straightforward with what you know. Your source likely was working with Buffalo to drive up the price.

Tkachuk even as a rental would likely get a big haul so if he was available I'd say buffalo would have taken it.
Adams has a lot to lose if he comes out and says Tkachuk or Gaudreau or Mangiapane or any specific Flames player was part of the offer and we chose the Vegas package instead. One, it opens him up to criticism from his own fan base if they disagree. Also, you can't burn another NHL GM by disclosing what they were offering and potentially creating a rift there that prevents further trades that were seeded during these talks.

You're right. The sources may well have had the price-driving motivation. That's a risk sometimes but it wasn't what I believed at the time and I'm still feeling confident it wasn't the intention now.

Tkachuk as a rental might be attractive to most teams but after what Buffalo has gone through with Eichel, I don't believe they would want to deal with the Tkachuk negotiations and potential for him to walk out as a UFA after next year while Eichel is lighting it up with the Golden Knights.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #18
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also, you don't need to really explain yourself. Everyone that knows you knows you're not a clickbaiter. I've followed you for years and have a lot of respect for your work.

I just think some sources sometimes have other people feeding them misinformation to get out what they want.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #19
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious that the info you were getting or speculating on was based on Tkachuk being offered? Is it also likely/possible that it was actually the ask?
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:06 PM   #20
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Macfarlane View Post

Any Flames content is appreciated.

Am I wrong or was it you guys that mentioned that Chuck and Money had been given permission to speak to Buffalo? I bit hard on that little tidbit

Speaking of accountability, how does this affect your press credentials with the Flames or is there such a thing? I imagine that this business is cutthroat and vengeful. I imagine that Kevin Weekes will not be getting any tidbits from Tree any time soon