Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2024, 08:18 AM   #21
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I love the frank and openness of Conroy when talks about the trade and all this associated with the Flames.
Yup.

Gave the fan base lots of insights into how the trade worked and what was going on behind the scenes.

But didn't actually say anything that puts any other teams or his players in a spot where they might be annoyed with what was said.

The candidness is so refreshing from any NHL GM, not just comparing him to Treliving.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:37 AM   #22
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As long as we don’t start calling him The Wizard, I’m fine.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:17 AM   #23
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Conroy has earned everything compared to Tree . Conroy also doesn't need.to.operate on his own island.
Including the scouts that scouted and the players that played and the coach that's coaching helps.
Yeah....its early but the blunders won't be there .
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:18 AM   #24
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Conroy has earned everything compared to Tree . Conroy also doesn't need.to.operate on his own island.
Including the scouts that scouted and the players that played and the coach that's coaching helps.
Yeah....its early but the blunders won't be there .
How did Trelving not earn a GM spot? He came up pretty much the same way Conroy did.

But yeah the island thing is a huge one for me in the wake of Treliving moving on. Just not a modern way to manage a complex business.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 09:30 AM   #25
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
How did Trelving not earn a GM spot? He came up pretty much the same way Conroy did.

But yeah the island thing is a huge one for me in the wake of Treliving moving on. Just not a modern way to manage a complex business.
I don't remember Tree doing the scouting or having the one on one with players , potential prospects and learning the way Conroy has . Likely I didn't research the facts before posting and criticizing Tree but to me watching Conroy , hearing Conny do all the things he's done has made me more comfortable as a fan .

He to me sat and shut his mouth while watching someone do the opposite of what he wanted.

Example....I was floored to hear he always wanted to give prospects a shot but it never materialized until he was given some power. And he also likely ran it by the other execs on the team before the idea could be tried instead of acting like Tree.

Almost like someone saying do what I say and not what I do. Tree wasn't a leader in any respect that Conroy is in my mind.

Conroy is what he is ....I don't see magic or wizardry ....I see transparency, honesty and he'll admit and take Immediate accountability for F ING up stuff is all I'm seeing and saying.

Wasn't trying to offend anyone
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 09:52 AM   #26
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yup.

Gave the fan base lots of insights into how the trade worked and what was going on behind the scenes.

But didn't actually say anything that puts any other teams or his players in a spot where they might be annoyed with what was said.

The candidness is so refreshing from any NHL GM, not just comparing him to Treliving.
That was my one concern about Conroy as gm. Loose lips. But he’s been doing a good job so far.
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 10:06 AM   #27
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I don't remember Tree doing the scouting or having the one on one with players , potential prospects and learning the way Conroy has . Likely I didn't research the facts before posting and criticizing Tree but to me watching Conroy , hearing Conny do all the things he's done has made me more comfortable as a fan .

He to me sat and shut his mouth while watching someone do the opposite of what he wanted.

Example....I was floored to hear he always wanted to give prospects a shot but it never materialized until he was given some power. And he also likely ran it by the other execs on the team before the idea could be tried instead of acting like Tree.

Almost like someone saying do what I say and not what I do. Tree wasn't a leader in any respect that Conroy is in my mind.

Conroy is what he is ....I don't see magic or wizardry ....I see transparency, honesty and he'll admit and take Immediate accountability for F ING up stuff is all I'm seeing and saying.

Treliving was a second hand man doing all the same scouting duties in Arizona that Conroy did here.

On top of that he founded a hockey league.

I think Craig Conroy is great, but lets pump the breaks on the Treliving hatred. The guy was known to be tireless with a high work ethic.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:35 AM   #28
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischy13 View Post
What I like about the approach of “let’s see what we got”, Zary didn’t project in the AHL like the way he is in the NHL. Not often, but some players are better in the NHL than AHL for what ever reason. Think the game higher but don’t have the talent around them in the AHL maybe. Kuzmenko is another, his NHLe was half of what he put up in his first year. See what you got. The odd one will surprise and you have a gem.
Martin Pospisil
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 10:39 AM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

These points all speak more to the island comment than to not earning the position. Bingo only challenged the not earning it part.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:00 AM   #30
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoch root View Post
martin pospisil
100%
Goriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:02 AM   #31
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I also appreciated his comment about continuing to push, challenge, and demand improvement from the young players.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:08 AM   #32
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Treliving was a second hand man doing all the same scouting duties in Arizona that Conroy did here.

I think Craig Conroy is great, but lets pump the breaks on the Treliving hatred. The guy was known to be tireless with a high work ethic.
I don’t think we need to pump the brakes on the hate but we should target what is accurate and not make stuff up. Burke hyped Treliving as one of the hardest working guys in the league when he hired him almost 10 years ago. It did seem like he was in on everything and by all accounts a tireless worker.

He did put the team in the mess they are in now with his shortsighted planning and knee jerk reactions that resulted in the team losing their core players in some cases for nothing and in other cases paying to move them. The return he got for Tkachuk has set the franchise back 9 years potentially with the poison pill contract he gave to Huberdeau. The fact he quit on these he made has me hope he does not have any professional success in the NHL moving forward.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:17 AM   #33
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t think we need to pump the brakes on the hate but we should target what is accurate and not make stuff up. Burke hyped Treliving as one of the hardest working guys in the league when he hired him almost 10 years ago. It did seem like he was in on everything and by all accounts a tireless worker.

He did put the team in the mess they are in now with his shortsighted planning and knee jerk reactions that resulted in the team losing their core players in some cases for nothing and in other cases paying to move them. The return he got for Tkachuk has set the franchise back 9 years potentially with the poison pill contract he gave to Huberdeau. The fact he quit on these he made has me hope he does not have any professional success in the NHL moving forward.
How many times can we argue this stuff?

I'll just leave it as your interpretation in paragraph two and call it a day.
Old 02-03-2024, 11:50 AM   #34
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
As long as we don’t start calling him The Wizard, I’m fine.
A Sorcerer is more powerful than a Wizard.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:05 PM   #35
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How many times can we argue this stuff?

I'll just leave it as your interpretation in paragraph two and call it a day.
That’s fine but who is arguing in favor of the work Treliving did? The Monahan trade is fresh and opens up the wound and then the chatter will pick up because the wound is fresh again. When comparing GM’s it will be common to compare the current GM to the previous one.

I agreed with your point of not making stuff up about him but you can’t expect people to just let it go and move on when we saw what happened with Monahan and the national response is how great the Habs did and how it was a massive failure for the Flames. Fans have a right to be pissed as they strip this team down yet remain tied to several boat anchors he left when he decided to quit on the team.

I would say it likely dies out in the summer when the Flames really can chart their new course under Conroy in my humble opinion.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 12:55 PM   #36
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
That’s fine but who is arguing in favor of the work Treliving did? The Monahan trade is fresh and opens up the wound and then the chatter will pick up because the wound is fresh again. When comparing GM’s it will be common to compare the current GM to the previous one.

I agreed with your point of not making stuff up about him but you can’t expect people to just let it go and move on when we saw what happened with Monahan and the national response is how great the Habs did and how it was a massive failure for the Flames. Fans have a right to be pissed as they strip this team down yet remain tied to several boat anchors he left when he decided to quit on the team.

I would say it likely dies out in the summer when the Flames really can chart their new course under Conroy in my humble opinion.
Nobody loved the Monahan trade. I understood it, but it felt like a steep price.

But this website has what 80 pages of people patting him on the back for the Tkachuk trade, and most saying you have to just give Huberdeau the same contract and know the last three years might suck.

Now they're all mistakes that most at the time felt were the right move?

Honestly the way Monahan's season in Montreal went after the trade was exactly why Treliving felt the need to play him. He wanted another top six and didn't think Monahan would be durable enough to do the job. In that he was right.

Just seems like a lot of over thinking and hind sight to me.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 01:12 PM   #37
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Nobody loved the Monahan trade. I understood it, but it felt like a steep price.

But this website has what 80 pages of people patting him on the back for the Tkachuk trade, and most saying you have to just give Huberdeau the same contract and know the last three years might suck.

Honestly the way Monahan's season in Montreal went after the trade was exactly why Treliving felt the need to play him. He wanted another top six and didn't think Monahan would be durable enough to do the job. In that he was right.

Yup.

Oooodles of it throughout the forum on multiple topics.

Its amazing how many are smart AFTER the fact on things.
Old 02-03-2024, 01:26 PM   #38
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Yup, Treliving made some pretty big gambles that, in the end, didn't work out and because they were risky, had some pretty negative consequences. That's just the way high risk actions sometimes turn out.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 01:44 PM   #39
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

High work ethic, kind of a clown in terms of results. His last year as a Calgary flame:

- lose Johnny for nothing
- give Tkachuk leverage to force a trade
- knee jerk reaction to sign Huby to 8 x $10.5 bonus laden, nmc that is the worst contract in NHL
- trade Monahan and a first
- team misses playoffs; enters rebuild with Huby contact a boat anchor for 8 seasons

It was a complete dumpster fire. Outside of the trades for Hamilton and Lindholm/Hanifin, nothing of his tenure was memorable in a good way.

I increasingly wonder if Tre worked the media to create an aura about himself and people ate it up. He has a lot of connections.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 02:24 PM   #40
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
High work ethic, kind of a clown in terms of results. His last year as a Calgary flame:

- lose Johnny for nothing
- give Tkachuk leverage to force a trade
- knee jerk reaction to sign Huby to 8 x $10.5 bonus laden, nmc that is the worst contract in NHL
- trade Monahan and a first
- team misses playoffs; enters rebuild with Huby contact a boat anchor for 8 seasons

It was a complete dumpster fire. Outside of the trades for Hamilton and Lindholm/Hanifin, nothing of his tenure was memorable in a good way.

I increasingly wonder if Tre worked the media to create an aura about himself and people ate it up. He has a lot of connections.
Did you hate every one of those when it happened?

Because I remember a pretty strong majority loving the Tkachuk trade, and hoping Huberdeau signed.

Maybe it was just me though.