Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #761
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is the f'n worst. I spend money on merchandise, I pay for my sports packages (TV), occasionaly I buy tickets, I spend hundreds of dollars on the concourse at least 15 times a year, I follow these weak flukes even when I'm on holidays and they go lay an egg.

I really want to bail on the team - but its easier said then done.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #762
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Lots of posters have said that but with the way Elliot played, do you honestly believe that he wouldn't have let in another weak goal anyways. The high stick goal was really a blessing for him because you can't blame him for that one.

I knew the Flames were done in OT, Elliot was going to give up a weak goal, pretty much the first shot on net.

You can't really blame the refs for this one. 4-1 lead, no power plays for the Ducks, Bennett got away with a boarding on Bieksa. Elliot and Gully blew it.
If that one doesn't count I think we win the game. Also the refs were turning a blind eye to a lot of extra curricular stuff the ducks were doing. Anyway I blame the nhl war room in Toronto. I think Elliott obviously could have played better. Alot of lucky fluke goals. Deflection, referring mistake, off stone and in. He had a stinker but that's not the whole story. If that high stick goal isn't counted then we keep a 2 goal lead untill the 3rd. Close out the game like we did in the last 33 games with a lead. That 3rd goal took the wind out of our sails.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #763
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Something to consider:

Is Elliott the real problem it is he he right goalie for the wrong team?

Do the soft goals from Elliott matter if the flames have 2 more legitimate scoring threats in the top 6?

Backlund, even with 3 points, has looked rough in these playoffs, that line went from being Calgary's best line toaybe their worst between the regular season and playoffs. Backlunday be hurt, but still.

This team is struggling to score and I wonder if that might be a bigger hurdle for the team than the bad goals, the belief that once they are down by a couple that they are out of it.
They scored 4 goals yesterday.

They are 8th (right in the middle) in goals for a team in the playoffs. They aren't having trouble scoring. The Oilers have scored 5 goals and lead their series. The Blues have scored 7 goals and are up 3-0.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #764
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Something to consider:

Do the soft goals from Elliott matter if the flames have 2 more legitimate scoring threats in the top 6?

Backlund, even with 3 points, has looked rough in these playoffs, that line went from being Calgary's best line toaybe their worst between the regular season and playoffs. Backlunday be hurt, but still.

This team is struggling to score and I wonder if that might be a bigger hurdle for the team than the bad goals, the belief that once they are down by a couple that they are out of it.
I don't think a guy with a .800 save % is the right goalie for any team.

Elliott will never be a starter in the NHL again, and has cost himself several millions with this 1st round performance.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #765
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
To me that's the play that completely turned the game around. And barely anyone is talking about it. Nothing on the panel, only like 4 people on CP (including me) even noticed it. Last time I checked, it was a penalty when a player on the ice start chucking their fists at players on the bench. At the very least, a whistle. At the most, a game misconduct.

Yes that goal was weak. But it shouldn't have even counted. An official was right there telling him to leave his stick, and instead Perry start punching Flames' players. No stoppage in play. Goal.

To me that was a worse blown call then the high stick. Even as Perry was punching away, you could see the camera on the jumbotron focusing in on the event.

Is there a rule now where that's not a penalty/stoppage in play and I'm completely out to lunch?? To me that's the turning point in the game. Yes Elliott sucked taint all night. But it was 2 screw jobs that helped contribute to the loss. Perry at the bench, and the high stick. Unreal.
Yeah I noticed it for sure. Seemed like the players even expected a whistle
Old 04-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #766
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly - you can try to blame Gaudreau, GG or whoever. But if Elliott doesn't let in a bunch of terrible goals no one is talking about any of them. It should be 2-1 Flames or at least 2-1 Ducks. But its 3-0 Ducks because because Elliott has an .887 save percentage. You don't win in the playoffs with bad goaltending and the Flames have gotten it.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #767
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might be Elliott's career here.

Sadly we're stuck with Brouwer or he'd be in the same boat.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #768
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Something to consider:

Tkachuk has been a non-factor since the Doughty incident and that's clearly hurt the 2nd line.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #769
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post

They are 8th (right in the middle) in goals for a team in the playoffs. They aren't having trouble scoring. The Oilers have scored 5 goals and lead their series. The Blues have scored 7 goals and are up 3-0.
How about total even strength goals?
Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #770
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly - you can try to blame Gaudreau, GG or whoever. But if Elliott doesn't let in a bunch of terrible goals no one is talking about any of them. It should be 2-1 Flames or at least 2-1 Ducks. But its 3-0 Ducks because because Elliott has an .887 save percentage. You don't win in the playoffs with bad goaltending and the Flames have gotten it.
I don't know how people want to blame GG when the team put up 4 goals and chased Gibson. That's a plan executed to perfection as far as I'm concerned. I wish Gaudreau would shoot the puck more but he's been dangerous and his linemates are playing well. He doesn't look like a weak link.

You need good goaltending to do anything in the playoffs and the team has not had that.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #771
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Tkachuk has been a non-factor since the Doughty incident and that's clearly hurt the 2nd line.
After he missed that big hit attempt and landed on his back he's gone quiet. Clearly (well, to me anyway) he's hurt.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #772
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
How many goalies are going to get run out of this city before Sigalet is shown the door?
I have no idea how Sigalet has stuck around through the revolving door of goalies. Look at what changing the goalie coach has done for St. Louis.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #773
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

It's not a popular opinion I'm sure...but when you have a 3 goal lead with 22 minutes left...and you blow it? Mentally fragile is all it comes down to. A LOT of guys needed to be better including Elliott.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #774
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oiler fans are coming up to me at work and giving me their condolences...####!
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #775
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

you're not going to win many games with .815% goaltending, and not many series with .885% goaltending. ducks have gotten every single bounce and then some.

hope sigalet is gone in the summer
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #776
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
Oiler fans are coming up to me at work and giving me their condolences...####!
And they should be. I for one rubbed their, uber next level, non-success in their faces for many years, now its my turn.

Thanks Flames!
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #777
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

The flames have scored TWO 5-5 goal through 3 games of playoff hockey this year.

The Ducks have scored EIGHT goals 5-5.

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #778
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It's not a popular opinion I'm sure...but when you have a 3 goal lead with 22 minutes left...and you blow it? Mentally fragile is all it comes down to. A LOT of guys needed to be better including Elliott.
The team lacks leadership. Brouwer I feel was brought in to add this but clearly that signing hasn't worked out. I feel we always hear Gio say the same things over and over again and while I'm not blaming him for not being a great leader it seems there's not enough players in the locker room that have that mentality of winning at all costs as it just can't be one guy. Any time things don't go their way it seems self-doubt runs rampant on the bench.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #779
azzarish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
If I never hear another CPer whine about missed penalties and high stick goals that should have been called back, I'll die a happy man.

It's a game officiated by humans, they aren't going to be perfect. That doesn't mean that there is a league-wide conspiracy or that the Ducks have footage of Bettman sodomizing a chicken that they are threatening to upload.

We got a lot of calls our way last night, and STILL people come here to whine.

Seriously? Embarassing.
Totally disagree.

I know everything is 20/20 in hindsight but at 4-2 if that goal doesn't stand we probably see out the game. The no goal in game 2 and high stick goal last night are 2 of the most blatantly one sided calls I have ever seen go against the Flames in the playoffs. People are well within their rights to talk about conspiracies when you see crap like that. I had Wings fans texting me after the no goal in game 2 telling me we were robbed. It's not just Flames fans that can see blatantly obvious calls.

The high stick goal is not a goal any day of any week. Doesn't matter how many times or angles you view it at. The fact is that the people making the decision in a war room disagreed with it is absolutely mind boggling. Like I said last night, it was so obviously not a goal that the least surprising decision was that they ruled it as a goal. It's the equivalent of knowing you're doing the wrong thing but still going ahead with it regardless because you know you won't be held accountable. It has got to be one of the worst decisions in the playoffs in years.
azzarish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #780
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
To me that's the play that completely turned the game around. And barely anyone is talking about it. Nothing on the panel, only like 4 people on CP (including me) even noticed it. Last time I checked, it was a penalty when a player on the ice start chucking their fists at players on the bench. At the very least, a whistle. At the most, a game misconduct.

Yes that goal was weak. But it shouldn't have even counted. An official was right there telling him to leave his stick, and instead Perry start punching Flames' players. No stoppage in play. Goal.

To me that was a worse blown call then the high stick. Even as Perry was punching away, you could see the camera on the jumbotron focusing in on the event.

Is there a rule now where that's not a penalty/stoppage in play and I'm completely out to lunch?? To me that's the turning point in the game. Yes Elliott sucked taint all night. But it was 2 screw jobs that helped contribute to the loss. Perry at the bench, and the high stick. Unreal.
We were yelling about it up in our section. MAYBE you give him a free punch, but how the ref left it continue is a mystery to me.

Your stick was in the bench, leave it there and go get a new one or get off the ice.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote