Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2020, 02:43 AM   #81
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't Matthew, Marner and Tavares make more money than all of Columbus's forwards combined?

Don't see how they could afford to sign Brodie.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:03 AM   #82
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're right. They don't really have the cap-space to sign Brodie. But they also pretty much have to sign a bigger-name defenseman though. Barrie and Ceci are both UFAs who played 20+ minutes a night with them throughout the season.

Barring trades, the forward group is pretty much static. A couple role players like Spezza will need to be re-signed/replaced but the top 9 is all locked down except for Mikheyev who's likely going to sign some type of show-me contract.

Ceci's contract coming off the books more or less is eaten up by Muzzin, Holl and (likely) Mikheyev and Dermott's more expensive contracts taking effect next season. Lehner's off the books next year but more or less they will have ~3M to sign a defenseman to replace/re-sign Barrie and internal replacements to replace Ceci.

Not a favourable position. Which is why many people expect that one of the 'second tier' forwards in Johnsson, Hyman Kapenen or Kerfoot would be moved either for a defenseman or the cap-space to sign one. Or maybe a bigger change in one of the big forwards, namely Nylander, being moved out.

Brodie being targeted by the Leafs before they had to settle with Barrie in the Kadri trade, and them needing to sign a top-4 defenseman, makes the Leafs are pretty reasonably candidate for someone like Brodie.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:29 AM   #83
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already. Brodie had a really good bounce back season and while it would be nice to keep him I'm not sure you break the bank (or if the team is in position to) and TBH for all we know he could have his mind made up to move on from Calgary. The reality of a salary capped league is that you can't keep every player you want and sometimes good players have to go and if he leaves we just have to hope the organization finds a suitable replacement.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:38 AM   #84
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
No one outside of Flames fans would classify Brodie as a shut down / good at D defenseman. And I didn’t say he was a poor Defender. I said he wasn’t a good defender. He’s average at D

He is an above average puck moving D who struggles when in his own zone . His points have gone down on a PPG basis for 5 straight games

For a lot of his tenure he has been average to below average

There’s a reason they looked to move him and not the others (Of course return played into it too) - But the team shouldnt make an emotional signing based on half a year for an aging Defenceman

If the term and price is right - sure. 6 million for Brodie ? You won’t be happy in a few years

This is Ricardodw-esque.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #85
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

‘Extend Brodie’ seems a little presumptive, no?

Is that even up to the Flames? Does Brodie want to resign here? For how much? How long? Will another team offer more dollars or term? Is this really the player you want to resign at a high cost in a flat cap world? Do Brodie and his wife want to be closer to home? There’s a little bit more to it than the Flames just sliding an offer across the table with a pen for TJ to sign.

I would say it’s less than likely he resigns unless he is very comfortable here. Even then, I’m sure there are a lot of things to weigh. Pretty sure we’ve seen the best and worst of Brodie over the past 2-3 seasons. is TJ Brodie worth more than what he’s getting now? I don’t think so. If he’s not paired with Gio, I would argue he’s overpaid at 4.65. If another team wants to pay him more, let them.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #86
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

So you can never talk about re-signing a player, because you can't be certain that they actually want to stay?

(obviously, signing him implies he wants to sign, and he has only been a Flame since they drafted him in 2008)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:20 AM   #87
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This will be unpopular: For the same amount of money, I would rather sign Tyson Barrie than resign TJ this offseason.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:29 AM   #88
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So you can never talk about re-signing a player, because you can't be certain that they actually want to stay?

(obviously, signing him implies he wants to sign, and he has only been a Flame since they drafted him in 2008)
Talk all you want, but I don’t think he’s coming back. It’s been reported he was nearly dealt twice this past season. Once in the Kadri deal and another for Tyson Barrie. It was also speculated Treliving was looking to move either he or Hamonic throughout the season. I know you kind of have to squint to see it, but kinda seems like the Flames don’t see Brodie in their plans moving forward. I could be reading into it too much though.

If the Flames and Brodie intended to move forward, he would have been extended by now. The pandemic may change things, but, hypothetically, if the Flames were to extend Brodie, I wouldn’t do it for over 4.0 per. Max term would be four years and there would be no NMC’s. I would want the ability to expose him next year.

Last edited by TOfan; 08-11-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #89
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Talk all you want, but I don’t think he’s coming back. It’s been reported he was nearly dealt twice this past season. Once in the Kadri deal and another for Tyson Barrie. It was also speculated Treliving was looking to move either he or Hamonic throughout the season. I know you kind of have to squint to see it, but kinda seems like the Flames don’t see Brodie in their plans moving forward. I could be reading into it too much though.

If the Flames and Brodie intended to move forward, he would have been extended by now. The pandemic may change things, but, hypothetically, if the Flames were to extend Brodie, I wouldn’t do it for over 4.0 per. Max term would be four years and there would be no NMC’s. I would want the ability to expose him next year.

Well, if the maximum you’d pay him is 4 years at $4M, with zero NMC protection, you are correct, he’s not coming back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #90
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
You're right. They don't really have the cap-space to sign Brodie. But they also pretty much have to sign a bigger-name defenseman though. Barrie and Ceci are both UFAs who played 20+ minutes a night with them throughout the season.

Barring trades, the forward group is pretty much static. A couple role players like Spezza will need to be re-signed/replaced but the top 9 is all locked down except for Mikheyev who's likely going to sign some type of show-me contract.

Ceci's contract coming off the books more or less is eaten up by Muzzin, Holl and (likely) Mikheyev and Dermott's more expensive contracts taking effect next season. Lehner's off the books next year but more or less they will have ~3M to sign a defenseman to replace/re-sign Barrie and internal replacements to replace Ceci.

Not a favourable position. Which is why many people expect that one of the 'second tier' forwards in Johnsson, Hyman Kapenen or Kerfoot would be moved either for a defenseman or the cap-space to sign one. Or maybe a bigger change in one of the big forwards, namely Nylander, being moved out.

Brodie being targeted by the Leafs before they had to settle with Barrie in the Kadri trade, and them needing to sign a top-4 defenseman, makes the Leafs are pretty reasonably candidate for someone like Brodie.
Cap space trades will be nearly impossible to make this year, as nearly everyone will be at or near the flat cap. Without a trade, the Leafs will have about 4.5M to sign six players. They will only have two top four D under contract, so will have to sign two more. Even if they managed to trade Kapanen for futures only in a cap dump (again, unlikely or at least very difficult with the flat cap), they would only have about 8M to sign seven players, including two top four D. If Brodie's cap hit is even as low as 4M, that would leave them with 4M to sign another six players, including another top four D.

Even if they trade Nylander for futures only, they only have 11.5M to sign seven players, including two top four D. So, with Brodie at the bargain price of 4M and another top four D at the even more amazing price of 3M, that leaves a whopping 4.5M for the remaining five contracts, or basically league minimum. Oh, and let's not forget, as you mentioned, that three of five remaining contracts are RFAs that will be getting raises from their entry-level deals.

Even with the best possible deals on Brodie and another top four D, the only way the Leafs can make this work is by trading one of the big three in a straight cap dump.

As an added bonus, the Leafs have neither a 1st nor a 3rd in the upcoming draft to sweeten a deal for cap relief.

Maybe the Flames should help the Leafs out here by trading Brodie's rights at the end of the playoffs straight up for Nylander (for the Leafs, more or less a straight cap dump, with the added bonus of being able to negotiate to re-up Brodie before he goes UFA). Then maybe try to flip Valimaki onto Gio's right side and see if he can be the next Brodie (ideally, this would be Kylington, but he's not ready yet).

Last edited by Macindoc; 08-11-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #91
Braden
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I could also see Brodie not wanting to be in the lime light of Toronto, not sure if its just me but I think he rarely interviews anymore and that seemed even more so after his wife got diagnosed.
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #92
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
This will be unpopular: For the same amount of money, I would rather sign Tyson Barrie than resign TJ this offseason.
I see the reasoning behind it. With Gio's production dropping off the Flames did not get enough O from the D this past season. Barrie would certainly help that.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #93
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I see the reasoning behind it. With Gio's production dropping off the Flames did not get enough O from the D this past season. Barrie would certainly help that.
He’s also a RHS D
Old 08-11-2020, 10:21 AM   #94
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
He’s also a RHS D
That too.

He also logs big minutes over his career.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #95
FranksandBean
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Pietrangelo will get in the 8 million area. At least he should.

No way does Barrie get 5.5. He’ll be lucky to get 4 million.
No disagreement from me but from who? With a flat Cap there are very few teams that can pay that and most of them have a full defence or are at the bottom of the standings for a reason. I think there will be many players who take short term contracts for less than we think to maintain a chance to win.
FranksandBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #96
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post

No way does Barrie get 5.5. He’ll be lucky to get 4 million.
That’s hilarious. I know you’re angry as a fan, but come on.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #97
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope we are able to Extend Brodie, but for the right term. 5 years at 5.5 will be ideal IMO, though I have a feeling he would want to go somewhere else (given the health based rumours). He has been great for us in his career so far, and had an excellent season once again.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #98
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I sat with TJ at the Flames poker tournament this year (which seems like five years ago and in a different universe now) and he said that Toronto would probably be the last place he'd want to go and he definitely would like to stay here.

Doesn't mean that he'll come back but he appreciates what he's got here.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tacoman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #99
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Yes, it will be unpopular - for good reason.

Brodie is a better defenseman. Period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #100
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If players didn't want to re-sign with their current team, just because they were involved in trade talks in the past, pretty much every player ever would walk from their current team.