Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Extend Brodie

TJ Brodie deserves an extension.

He’s been the 2nd best D on this team for seven years.

He’s been a model of consistency for seven years - six straight seasons of 30+ points heading into this year, and though this would be his worst offensive campaign since 2012-13, he’s still a respectable +7.

He’s a career +14 player even with those less effective 17 and 18 campaigns - +29 last year on the best regular season team in the conference.

He has no major leg issues in his history. He skates like the wind and can match the top players on the other team stride for stride, shift for shift.

Brodie once played 30 minutes in a 9-0 loss to the Bruins and he was Even.

He’s not to be used on the power play, but in all other aspects, he’s an invaluable piece of the blue line. I say this all the time, and I really believe it: if TJ Brodie had an NHL caliber wrist shot, he’s a $9M player.

If he had made the 2018 Olympic team because of his play with Gio, he certainly wouldn’t have embarrassed himself against elite international competition.

Even in the face of the expansion draft, I’d say he’s a more important protect than Hanifin. I think Brodie is who you hope Hanifin becomes, but Noah isn’t there yet.

Players like Brodie, your Dan Boyle/Brian Campbell types, play into their late 30s all the time. There’s no reason to forecast a precipitous decline any time on the next five years, so pay the man his money and stop spending high assets to bring in players that aren’t 50% as useful (looking at you, Hamonic).

Extend Brodie.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Agreed, I'll be pissed if they don't.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I’m not sure that Treliving can extend him. I bet he’d like to but if I’m Brodie, I’m listening to all other offers. Maple Leafs come to mind and many others.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:06 PM   #4
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I’m not sure that Treliving can extend him. I bet he’d like to but if I’m Brodie, I’m listening to all other offers. Maple Leafs come to mind and many others.
Toronto should be all over Brodie if he hits the market.

I’d hope that if the Flames come to table with a reasonable offer, TJ chooses to stick with the team that he’s been with his entire career.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like to extend him but I can all but guarantee he will want a Nmc. Also wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a 5 year deal in the market
kyuss275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #6
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely hope Brodie signs his next contract and continues playing with the Flames.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie really has impressed... i was very worried for him after his health issue.

I like Hamonic, but so far, it seems like Calgary has done ok without him...seems like he's more likely to move now, whereas the beginning of the year had me thinking Brodie would go...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #8
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been saying it all year. To think at the start of this year our GM tried trading Brodie away.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 02:19 PM   #9
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll echo what I wrote in another thread.

The Flames absolutely MUST find a way to keep Brodie. I think it's more then obvious that the GG years were the outliers and not his norm. Brodie was trending upwards before those years and he's picked up where he left off once GG left. He can skate against anybody in the league and is so dynamic when he's on. His skillset will keep him playing effectively well into his late 30s. Flames will regret losing him if he walks as a UFA. You don't find legit first pairing D on trees. When you find one, you keep him.

He took a sweetheart deal last time, so I'm okay with a bit of a bump in pay and some term. I think he will live up to his new contract. Please BT find a way to keep him.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess presuming Flames don't have to protect Valimaki in the expansion draft, if you extend Brodie, do you protect him over Gio in the expansion draft? I guess there's only a small chance Seattle would take Gio considering his age, but that'd be interesting.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:23 PM   #11
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d be happy to give him 5 year deal, maybe even go to 6 or 7 if it drops the overall yearly cap hit. He’s only 30 and I think defenceman like him can play a long time.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:23 PM   #12
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I guess presuming Flames don't have to protect Valimaki in the expansion draft, if you extend Brodie, do you protect him over Gio in the expansion draft? I guess there's only a small chance Seattle would take Gio considering his age, but that'd be interesting.
I just don’t see Seattle drafting a 38 year old pending UFA, no matter who he is. And I’m okay tossing them a 2nd to ensure they take Bennett or Kylington.

Gaudreau/Hall, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm, Backlund, Dube, Mangiapane
Brodie, Andersson, Hanifin
Goalie
Old 08-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #13
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What if he doesn't want one here?

Guy was all but traded last off season if it weren't for Kadri and his NTC.

Business is business and all that, but I'm sure that since he's gone this far I'd imagine he will want to see what's out there now.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #14
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always thought he was the weak link between him and Gio... until Gio fell off a cliff this year.

I'll take Brodie over Gio.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:27 PM   #15
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I hope Brodie takes market type into consideration if he chooses to move. Not that Calgary fans/media are soft by any means, but a team like Toronto (who should be 100% after his services) are absolutely brutal.

I think Calgary should definitely try to extend him. He's been our best D man this season & playoffs so far, in my opinion. At least it would be close between him and Anderson.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #16
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Players like Brodie, your Dan Boyle/Brian Campbell types, play into their late 30s all the time.
Brian Campbell and Dan Boyle also got paid. Neither were great moves by their signing teams.

Dan Boyle was threatened (his words) by Tampa's management and ownership to waive his NTC. Likely amounted to being placed on waivers if he refused. Brian Campbell was part of the cap-hit purge done by the Hawks after the win due to his huge cap-hit. They traded him 1 for 1 for Olesz who was eventually bought out by the Hawks himself. Both of them ended up fairing better with their next teams for awhile, but neither truly lived up to their contracts and were of negative value before they ended.

If Brodie wants to come back short-term, or is willing to sign a longer contract with a low enough cap hit, understanding that he could also be taken by Seattle (due to Andersson, Hanifin, maybe Valimaki if he plays this post-season, maybe Giordano, Kylington etc.), I don't see a problem with that.

But if he is looking to cash in and/or get certainty that he won't be selected by Seattle (NMC), which I wouldn't blame him for doing either, I think it might be best to stay away. He'll be paid as a top-pairing guy from a top-pairing who can produce offensively, and could get a significant premium for it.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #17
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
What if he doesn't want one here?

Guy was all but traded last off season if it weren't for Kadri and his NTC.

Business is business and all that, but I'm sure that since he's gone this far I'd imagine he will want to see what's out there now.
I get this feeling too. Why not explore the free market to see first, and then decide if he wants to re-sign with Calgary. A year ago, he was in all sorts of trade rumours. Might as well see what's out there.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #18
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Brodie is not worth a max contract. Therefore, whether the GM should extend him or not depends on what extension Brodie will accept.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #19
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, though I’ve heard that his wife’s condition could play a factor in him choosing to leave for warmer weather. If that’s the case then I can’t hold it against him if he leaves.

I’d love to see him back though.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #20
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Been saying it all year. To think at the start of this year our GM tried trading Brodie away.
I think is why Brodie won't be re-signing here.

Get Pietrangelo?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote