Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #21
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
It seems pretty clear that Bennett would be a 20 goal, 40 point guy with decent linemates and a consistent top nine/six role.

Unfortunately I think his undisciplined played has hindered his chances of moving up the lineup. At some point you have to let him sink or swim. He has the tools to be an extremely effective player, although not the high end point producer we had all believed initially due to a lack of hockey IQ.

I doubt it happens in Calgary at this point despite how much I would love to see it.
I don't think that is clear at all.

What is clear is that he has been very inconsistent and has shown multiple coaches he doesn't belong on the top two lines. Can he improve to be a 20 goal 40 point guy, maybe, but the longer time goes on, the less likely he will ever get there. He was on pace for 19 points this year which is his 5th in the NHL.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #22
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah NE and EE trading barbs. Way more fun than the depressing things going on lately.

Can’t wait for hockey to be back!!
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #23
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Ah NE and EE trading barbs. Way more fun than the depressing things going on lately.

Yeah, well you're mother is ugly and your father wears ballet slippers!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #24
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Shut up Erick. You're the last person who should ever be making a demand like this. You're the king of ridiculous comments.

i don't see the claim as being ridiculous. WTF has Bennett done to garner such accolades and trust that he'll hang around? For crying out loud, every single year his results get worse. He's already a 4th line player and he's trending in the wrong direction. A contract decision is due after next season, and I think the Flames walk away from him. I sure as Christ wouldn't pony up the money its going to take to retain his rights. In two years he'll be 26. He'll likely be coming off a 1 year prove it contract. Do you think anyone will give a damn about his draft pedigree at that point? No. Bennett will be on the bubble to make a team and will have plenty of competition from subsequent draft classes. I mean, he's been surpassed by Mangipagne and Dube in Calgary! He's where Toby Reider is right now. He's got AHL future written all over him.
That just isn't true.

Its silly really because you have so much ammo at your disposal when it comes to how disappointing Bennett has been. Why push it to the limits with statements like out of the league in two years or AHL player.

He just isn't.

His production over his career has averaged a 7th forward on an average NHL team ... last time I checked NHL teams have 13 or 14 guys that play up front. The last three seasons where he's dipped he's forward 8.5, still a third line guy.

But over his five year career he's above average third line guy, which is not what you want from a 4th overall pick.

You make yourself a target by taking it too far.

When you work in some intangibles and other metrics that suggest he hasn't had the finish that usually comes with his chance generation metrics it makes the point even more so.

Just check yourself.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #25
mrchristy31
Draft Pick

I find it ironic that 99% of the conversations get back to the Flames failing to develop Bennett (along with all other failed prospects). I am, and was as big of a Bennett fan as anybody, but ultimately, the #1 goal for management and coaching is to win. That means putting the players out that give you the best chance to win on a nightly basis. Unfortunately for Sam, his stupid penalties regularly cost the Flames and outweigh the pros.

Where the Flames failed Bennett, is not sending him back to the AHL to work on his stick control, discipline, and to gain confidence in his 20YO season. At this point, if they want to develop Bennett, make him run D positioning drills in practice without his stick.
mrchristy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #26
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristy31 View Post
I find it ironic that 99% of the conversations get back to the Flames failing to develop Bennett (along with all other failed prospects). I am, and was as big of a Bennett fan as anybody, but ultimately, the #1 goal for management and coaching is to win. That means putting the players out that give you the best chance to win on a nightly basis. Unfortunately for Sam, his stupid penalties regularly cost the Flames and outweigh the pros.

Where the Flames failed Bennett, is not sending him back to the AHL to work on his stick control, discipline, and to gain confidence in his 20YO season. At this point, if they want to develop Bennett, make him run D positioning drills in practice without his stick.
That should extend further than on a game to game basis.

It is in the organizations best interests to get as many players as they can to play at a high level.

This is what helps them win in the long run.

I just don’t understand why whenever Bennett is put in a better situation and seems to be coming around and looking more comfortable they move him back down the lineup?

I get that players shouldn’t lose their spots when they get injured but cut the kid some slack. His only consistent linemate has been Janko and they just don’t work well together.

In all honesty, as much as I love him, I hope we can compliance buyout Lucic and bring in, at least, 3 new forwards to revamp our forward group next year.

Even if Looch is still around still bring in a couple new guys.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #27
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Remember? You mean manufacture. Bennett played very little and scored some really lucky points on the PP. His impact n the series against Colorado was not felt in any way. Bennett is a change-of-scenery player who will likely be out of the NHL in two years. I hope Treliving can turn him into something useful at the draft.
Good grief, why even bother clicking on the thread if all you're going to do is post irrational hate on Bennett? You cannot deny Bennett has been the most consistent playoff performer since he's been around in the league. What does that say about the rest of our team? It means that Bennett shows up when it matters, and that we have a big problem with our top 6. We need another dynamic scorer/two-way player/difference maker up there.

I am convinced that Bennett's hits and scoring will be of use as usual in the playoffs, but I don't think we'll ever see him hit his highest potential here. He needs to go to a team that could use a top 6 LW/C. Unfortunately, we have better players in both of those positions that are not allowing him to move up in the lineup. Playing with Jankowski and Neal really didn't help either.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #28
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
They need to at least play him on the 3rd line.

Why is he continuously stapled to Jankowski even though it has been fairly obvious for years they don’t play that well together?

Dube and Bennett had some promising looking chemistry when together on a line, why shut that down and move him back down to the 4th line?

It seemed they cared more about resurrecting Lucic than they did about actually developing their highest draft pick in history.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Bennett-Ryan-Dube
I actually think Jankowski looked pretty solid in 2018/19. He put up 32 points with minimal ice time, and I thought for sure he was going to become a solid 40-50 point tweener.......then he turned into a ghost.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

Not trading barbs. I just find it annoying when fans develop irrational hate for a player. We all know Bennett has been a disappointment but there's no need to take things the extreme with outlandish remarks that have a 0.0% chance of coming to fruition. The last person I can recall as irrational as this was Moon and that's not a good place.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchristy31 View Post

Not going to disagree that he could improve his discipline but Backlund is right up there when it comes to bad penalties and he takes it a step further usually taking his bad penalties at the end of the 2nd or 3rd period putting the team in a big bind. People complained about Hamilton's discipline as well but I think that's a tradeoff anyone will take for one of the highest scoring defensemen in the league. Discipline is not the reason Bennett has disappointed. I would take a player with jam over a ghost like Jankowski anyday. His game just hasn't progressed from his days as a junior player. He probably would have benefitted from a year in the AHL but eventually he's going to have to figure it out himself.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #31
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I just hope that Bennett, and several other players on this team (including the entire top line), realize they have a lot to prove this playoffs. If they come into the playoffs with the attitude they had this off-season, their careers are going to take a significant downturn.

This really is a turning point. Gio isn't getting any younger, and Gaudreau only has 2 years left under contract. Ownership will be looking at major changes either this off-season or next.

If Bennett doesn't show up, he's likely soon to be traded as a reclamation project. Although this does give him a fresh start, it also potentially puts him on the trajectory that leads out of the NHL.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #32
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What if Sam Bennett has another good playoff performance?

We win the cup?? Not to sure if a guessing game or not? 🤪
scobel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #33
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just realized that Bennett is 24 years old. I still think 18 year old Sam Bennett was the best version, I wonder what happened.....
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:12 PM   #34
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not going to disagree that he could improve his discipline but Backlund is right up there when it comes to bad penalties and he takes it a step further usually taking his bad penalties at the end of the 2nd or 3rd period putting the team in a big bind. People complained about Hamilton's discipline as well but I think that's a tradeoff anyone will take for one of the highest scoring defensemen in the league. Discipline is not the reason Bennett has disappointed. I would take a player with jam over a ghost like Jankowski anyday. His game just hasn't progressed from his days as a junior player. He probably would have benefitted from a year in the AHL but eventually he's going to have to figure it out himself.
But you know what Backlund has done, score 20 goals in a season and get close to 50 points. Bennett can't play defense like Backlund and doesn't gel with a player like Tchachuk. He is a low 3rd line player or a 4th line player.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #35
Mitt31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I agree with lots on this board in saying "he's not a point producer" or ever be a top 6

I agree with everyone who is saying "give him a chance to have the same solid line"

My thoughts:
1: I like Bennett
2: I Like his tenasity
3: He can stick handle the puck
4: He can skate
5: He can hit
6: He can fight

I think every team would be licking their chops to get him for a playoff run if they could.

Sam Bennett if given the chance can likely produce 50-60 points in my mind.

Problem A - Whole flames team has this - Head Coaches - Never mind the individual head coach and their strategy, the Flames coaches every friggen year or two and all of them have different styles.

I couldn't imagine where this team could be if we had just one coach for 6 or 7 years.

Well minus Gully, i'd not want this team under him for that long.
Im even willing to give Ward a chance, but stop changing coaches.

Problem B - Bennett gets bounced around like a utility player and while he is adjusting his game to that, it is not who he was when he was young. Give him solid players and he will look like Playoff Bennett more often then not.

I say start him with Gaudreau and Lindy for the entire game 1 and go from there.

His tenacity alone made a difference when they started to use him in the Colorado Series, unfortionetly it takes more then 2-3 players to win in playoffs.

Bennett will never be the defensive player that Backlund is but he is the Scrappy player we need for any playoffs.

My thoughts

"I'll have to photocopy that for my kids.
One day, I'll be trying to talk hockey and they'll be saying, 'The game has passed you by, dad.' I'll be able to say, 'Ovechkin's on it, and he's still lighting it up.' " - Jarome Iginla
Mitt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #36
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mitt31. I like your take on the subject. I don't know if Bennett on the top line is a sound playoff strategy, as the regular season is to test methods to be used later in the playoffs.

One thing that has been tried has been the duo of Bennett and Dube. I would make that part of the third line, and the Lucic - Ryan duo the fourth line, while evening out shorthanded minutes to give Ryan more ice time.

Let any of Rinaldo-Jankowski-Rieder-Gawdin-Phillips, fall where they may.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #37
Mitt31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Harry Lime, agreed with your thoughts too.

Bennett with Gaudreau = Dont slash him ever or your dead haha

"I'll have to photocopy that for my kids.
One day, I'll be trying to talk hockey and they'll be saying, 'The game has passed you by, dad.' I'll be able to say, 'Ovechkin's on it, and he's still lighting it up.' " - Jarome Iginla
Mitt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:12 AM   #38
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think what I'd do in the playoffs is pair Johnny with Bennett as his centre on the third line. Plug and play them in sheltered spots. Don't lean on them too heavily. Take pressure off Johnny and let him play with a guy who will make room for him and always brings it in big games.

Let Lindholm/Backlund/Monahan/Ryan do the heavy lifting. Let's see this:

Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Monahan - Ryan
Gaudreau - Bennett - Dube
Lucic - Jankowski - Phillips

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:24 AM   #39
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Was Bennett even that good in the playoffs or did everyone else just suck? Honestly I'm not holding out much hope for Bennett being good in the playoffs. If he's the player that stands out in a playoff series we're getting bounced in the first round again (the play-in round this year). That's not on hating Bennett.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHawk12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 12:34 AM   #40
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yes.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
irrational hate , sammy benzo