Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2020, 11:00 PM   #281
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
Asked today if I keep Johnny or Sam, if one has to go? Right now I'd say Sam.
Discussing trading Gaudreau before he becomes a UFA is one thing but keeping Bennett over Gaudreau? Madness.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 11:24 PM   #282
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
I normally agree with a lot of your stuff. That top line hasn’t looked like a legit top line 5 on 5 for at least a year and a half. It’s great they’ve been playing better defensively, but they need to be able to score some goals 5 on 5. Something is a miss there.
Yes, something has been amiss most of this year. No question.

Some things I have noticed in the Winnipeg round.

On the positive side, the D seem to be activating more then they have since the all star break last season

On the negative side, there were some times where they were dumping it in excessively. That is not a good strategy for this line.

Hopefully they can keep the defensive intensity in their own end that emerged especially in game 4, get a quick transition game going, and play more on the rush, with more controlled zone entries.

That’s what I was getting at, noting they have been off for months. Because it seems they have made some adjustments, hopefully it’s just taking time to stick and get rolling

I hope that giving them a bit of time, we seem them gel more

*And I sure hope they keep Johnny on his off wing on the PP
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:38 AM   #283
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yes, something has been amiss most of this year. No question.

Some things I have noticed in the Winnipeg round.

On the positive side, the D seem to be activating more then they have since the all star break last season

On the negative side, there were some times where they were dumping it in excessively. That is not a good strategy for this line.

Hopefully they can keep the defensive intensity in their own end that emerged especially in game 4, get a quick transition game going, and play more on the rush, with more controlled zone entries.

That’s what I was getting at, noting they have been off for months. Because it seems they have made some adjustments, hopefully it’s just taking time to stick and get rolling

I hope that giving them a bit of time, we seem them gel more

*And I sure hope they keep Johnny on his off wing on the PP
I agree with this. The reason I feel the Flames should try trade Gaudreau in the off season is strictly asset management. If the Flames can sign Hall, keeping Gaudreau seems a little silly when you consider contract status and from all reports his willingness to return when his contract expires.
I'd also like to be able to put some money into the blueline. That's where my trading Ryan stance is coming from.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #284
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
I agree with this. The reason I feel the Flames should try trade Gaudreau in the off season is strictly asset management. If the Flames can sign Hall, keeping Gaudreau seems a little silly when you consider contract status and from all reports his willingness to return when his contract expires.
I'd also like to be able to put some money into the blueline. That's where my trading Ryan stance is coming from.
Really depends on what's coming back IMO. The Flames should definitely go after Hall, but only trade Gaudreau if it makes the team better. Just trading him off for some meh prospects or a late 1st doesn't make much sense. The Flames will always be able to get those kind of assets for Gaudreau, even just before he becomes a UFA.

I do agree with trading Ryan. Mostly to free up cap space. Plus it's time for Bennett to take a larger role on the team. Having him stapled to a line with Jankowski shouldn't be an option. Bennett should be in the role Ryan is in right now, where he essentially lead the bottom 6 with time on the #2 PP unit.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #285
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they're going to keep Bennett and have him at C, I really hope they give him some solid wingers. Josh Anderson would be a good one to snag. A line of Dube-Bennett-Anderson could be pretty sweet. Fast, gritty, mean...

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm (or Hall if you trade Johnny)
Mangipane - Backlund - Tkachuk
Dube - Bennett - Anderson
Lucic - Ryan - XXXXX
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #286
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If they're going to keep Bennett and have him at C, I really hope they give him some solid wingers. Josh Anderson would be a good one to snag. A line of Dube-Bennett-Anderson could be pretty sweet. Fast, gritty, mean...
That would be a terrifying line for other teams come playoff time
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #287
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ridiculous narrative I have heard Wills promoting recently.

“If Sam Bennett was this good all the time they would have to pay him $5-$6M a year and likely couldn’t afford him”

Does he think we are all idiots or something? It is a huge bonus our highest pick in franchise history is a mediocre bottom 6 winger during the season so we can pay him $2.5M to be a difference maker in the playoffs where the team had been 2-12 since they beat the Canucks prior to the series against the Jets.

It is awesome that Bennett turns it up in the playoffs and he is even more valuable this year as he has moved over to center and filled a huge need for the team. To argue it is a blessing he is not this good all the time because it saves the Flames cap space is a brutal take but typical for Wills.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #288
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Those three need to learn how to cycle in the offensive zone without having an extra man. I can't remember the last time they held the zone for a full shift without coughing up the puck or retreating.

Lindholm knows how to protect the puck with his body but Gaudreau trips himself up and coughs it up and monahan doesn't like to hold on to the puck for more than a few seconds at a time. And none of them do well supporting the other by orbiting close enough to be passed off to so as to keep possession. It's rush / one and done / turn it over/ retreat.

They could do with some edge and sandpaper along the boards and a little more grind in their game. Again, strictly at ES. They're fine on the PP.
Agreed wholeheartedly. Problem with the top line is they’re strictly a counter punch line. They can also use their speed to create turnovers on the forecheck, but I’m not sure that’s sustainable for an entire season. That line really could use that big power forward or big heavy centerman that can cycle the puck down to make that line less predictable.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #289
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think he's staying.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #290
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Bennett has earned a solid contract. He's been dynamite in every playoff series he has been in.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #291
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I think Bennett has earned a solid contract. He's been dynamite in every playoff series he has been in.
He still has a year left on his current contract. Let's see how he does next season first. Hopefully they keep him at center and give him decent wingers and, oh...I dunno, maybe increase his ice time a little. I swear to god if they bury him as a 4th line winger again with crap line mates for 12~ minutes a game I will flip the #### out.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #292
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

This really feels like his break out moment, much more impactful than previous playoff outings. He is doing things and getting the puck in places he just never had before.

Major props to Dube and Lucic as they're the kind of competent players we have been clamoring for to line with Bennett.

Despite a wishy washy call on a standard hockey play and a charging call today, I really think his play out shone his pims by a pretty significant margin.

I think it also has to do with the fact he takes those penalties and Ward keeps putting him out there. And its making Ward look good.

Last edited by dammage79; 08-16-2020 at 05:55 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #293
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
He still has a year left on his current contract. Let's see how he does next season first. Hopefully they keep him at center and give him decent wingers and, oh...I dunno, maybe increase his ice time a little. I swear to god if they bury him as a 4th line winger again with crap line mates for 12~ minutes a game I will flip the #### out.

I don't believe the Flames have managed him well, I remember times when it seemed like he had no confidence!! I wonder why??

That slapper..., and some people have said in past threads he couldn't shoot! Flames should be honing those skills, not holding him back!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:50 PM   #294
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think it also has to do with the fact he takes those penalties and Ward keeps putting him out there. And its making Ward look good.
It definitely has to help with his game mentally that if he does take a penalty (whether justified or not), that he won't have to worry about being stapled to the bench, or demoted in the lineup. For competitive players like him that can make #### happen, you put those players right back out there after a mistake, so they can make up for it. Especially if his style of play is going to result in penalties happening from time to time. You don't want to tame him if it allows him to be the most impactful player he can be.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:23 AM   #295
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what’s incredibly impressive?

Sam Bennett has 7 points in 8 games. I believe he’s also leading the playoffs in hits.

...he’s also doing it in only 14:38 AVG TOI.

From a point perspective, he ranks 11th in the playoffs (9th if you count active players) with those 7 points in 8 games. Of the players ahead of him point wise, Monahan (18:11 AVG TOI) and Toews (18:46 AVG TOI) are the closest to Sam in ice-time - everyone else is over 20 minutes a night.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 12:38 AM   #296
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yep. Sam Bennett has been a ####ing star in the playoffs, AGAIN.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 12:39 AM   #297
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Many people have noted that he simply needed consistent, quality linemates.

It is nuts, the energy with which some supposed fans of the team opposed that concept.

Great to see what he is doing, being put in a position to succeed

The guys who are supposed to be the top players keep getting asked questions, and say all the right things. Bennett just goes out there and he and his line are by far the hardest to play against.

I like Tkachuk a lot, but, when he comes back, hope he knows that his 2 points in 6 games aren’t where the team needs him to be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 12:45 AM   #298
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yep. Sam Bennett has been a ####ing star in the playoffs, AGAIN.
I’m pre-excited for the Sam Bennett highlight package.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 12:49 AM   #299
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sam Bennett has more career playoff goals (11) than Leon Draisaitl (9) and Connor McDavid (10). Huh, I did not know that.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 01:11 AM   #300
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Sam Bennett has more career playoff goals (11) than Leon Draisaitl (9) and Connor McDavid (10). Huh, I did not know that.

And of those “playoff” goals, they liberally include the one-off “qualifying round” stats, where McDavid had 5, Draisaitl 3 and Bennett 2. So that counts as “playoff goals” some that were scored as the Oilers guys failed to qualify.

So in the conventional conference quarterfinals (Round of 16), it’s Bennett 9, Drai 6, McAvi 5
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:

Tags
irrational hate , sammy benzo