Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:
Default What if Sam Bennett has another good playoff performance?

What if Sam Bennett is still the playoff warrior that we remember? Can he make a difference in the series against Winnipeg? His still shoots a lot and he still hits a lot. Can Calgary count on him elevating his play as per usual?

This quick blurb over at Dobber's site got me thinking. He is still seen by some as a potential 20G 40 point forward that plays on the edge. Surely, if Calgary is done with him and especially if he has a great postseason, they can package him in a trade that helps both him and the Flames.

Quote:
Sam Bennett
Here's a fun fact: if we include Bennet's one game played in 2014-15, his ice time has been declining for six seasons. The 2019-20 season saw him fall to a career-low 12:31 per game. The only Calgary forward who played less per game than Bennett at 5-on-5 was Tobias Rieder, and he's no longer in the NHL. It seems as if he's fallen out of favour with the team. (Yes, he did suffer injuries this past year. Surely that factored in somehow. It still doesn’t discredit his continual TOI decline for a half-decade.)
To me, Bennett feels like one of those "change of scenery" trades in the making, like Cody Hodgson or Alex Galchenyuk. Whether he ever lives up to the fourth overall selection status remains to be seen. But I just can't help but think a guy who is just 23 and has been getting his role cut for years is on the trading block.
Bennett does two things that fantasy owners should enjoy: he shoots a lot and he hits a lot. His shot attempt rate at 5-on-5 over the last three years is 14.33 per 60 minutes at 5-on-5. For reference, that's about the 80th percentile among forwards league-wide, and higher than names like Matthew Tkachuk, Brad Marchand, Mike Hoffman, and Brock Boeser. He's also in the 83rd percentile for hits per 60. In other words, with more ice time, there is a mutli-cat monster lurking here.
The question is whether he gets the ice time to do it. That depends on a lot of things. All I'm saying is that with decent TOI allocation, there are 20 goals, 40 points, 180 shots, and 150 hits here. That will play very well. Keep a sharp eye on Calgary's transactions whenever the offseason hits.

Last edited by SportsJunky; 06-12-2020 at 11:03 AM.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's seemingly a pretty low bar for "heroic playoff performance". He was solid in the playoffs.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's definitely a player that would do well with a change of scenery, however it's clear he's not the player the Flames and Flames fans hoped he would be when he was drafted and will never be. Maybe on a different team he finds fit with some more skilled linemates than he's accustomed to playing with but the best you could hope for is a 20 goal/40 point player with an edge to his game. He will likely never score 25+ goals nor will he likely eclipse 50 points.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #4
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im hoping they deal him for Josh Anderson. 6'3 220lbs, plays with an edge as well, and has a right shot. 17, 19 and 27 goal seasons before struggling with some injuries this season. Both guys could use a change of scenery IMO.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It seems pretty clear that Bennett would be a 20 goal, 40 point guy with decent linemates and a consistent top nine/six role.

Unfortunately I think his undisciplined played has hindered his chances of moving up the lineup. At some point you have to let him sink or swim. He has the tools to be an extremely effective player, although not the high end point producer we had all believed initially due to a lack of hockey IQ.

I doubt it happens in Calgary at this point despite how much I would love to see it.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

They need to at least play him on the 3rd line.

Why is he continuously stapled to Jankowski even though it has been fairly obvious for years they don’t play that well together?

Dube and Bennett had some promising looking chemistry when together on a line, why shut that down and move him back down to the 4th line?

It seemed they cared more about resurrecting Lucic than they did about actually developing their highest draft pick in history.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Bennett-Ryan-Dube
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

^ that's the only Bennett Trade I'd be ok with (Josh Anderson) unless he was thrown in to get an elite player.

The argument goes around and around every time his name gets brought up. He'd get more points if he had more time with better line mates, but he has to earn that time and capitalize when he does.

For me I see two things as the main factors in why Bennett hasn't been what we hoped. (or just one if you want to combine them into mismanagement.) But the first is position. He was drafted to be the teams future first line centre and after a strong rookie season he still didn't get tried as a centre. You can say that is for a whole bunch of reasons similar to what was mentioned above but what I saw this past season when he covered for injured Ryan was he seems to be far more comfortable playing down the middle and I think it suits his game much better. That was the best hockey I have seen from Bennett outside the playoffs as a flame. It's time to make him a permanent centre.

The second is consistency of line mates. And when I say this I mean consistency in who he is playing with and consistently getting to play with decent players. Again it said a lot that the best he has played outside of the playoffs was when he got multiple games with Dube and Lucic. they aren't even world beaters but he got to be the centre on a line with good players and it showed a glimpse of what he could do.

So, I think Bennett needs to be the 3rd line centre to start in the playoffs for two reasons. 1. We already know that he elevates in the playoffs but he also has chemistry with Dube and Lucic. 2. Ryan may make that line slightly better but the numbers were actually very close, but Ryan has also already proved that he can elevate guys into an effective 4th line. I'd like to see him do it again giving the flames 4 trusted lines.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
What if Sam Bennett is still the playoff warrior that we remember?
Remember? You mean manufacture. Bennett played very little and scored some really lucky points on the PP. His impact n the series against Colorado was not felt in any way. Bennett is a change-of-scenery player who will likely be out of the NHL in two years. I hope Treliving can turn him into something useful at the draft.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Out of the NHL in two years? I'd be surprised... he can score, hit, and is 23. Guys like that usually stick around and thrive once expectations get a little lower. Look at Colin Wilson.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #10
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what bothers me the most about Johnny Gaudreau? He never had to toil on the fourth line and earn his spot through Jankowski time. How do they know if he has gumption?
Old 06-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #11
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Out of the NHL in two years? I'd be surprised... he can score, hit, and is 23. Guys like that usually stick around and thrive once expectations get a little lower. Look at Colin Wilson.
I don't think he'll be gone in two years, but it would be more unlikely if he didn't take so many boneheaded penalties, but he does.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Remember? You mean manufacture. Bennett played very little and scored some really lucky points on the PP. His impact n the series against Colorado was not felt in any way. Bennett is a change-of-scenery player who will likely be out of the NHL in two years. I hope Treliving can turn him into something useful at the draft.
If he's still in the league in two years will you promise to stop posting here? Put your money where your mouth is if you are going to make ridiculous comments like this.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:22 PM   #13
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If he's still in the league in two years will you promise to stop posting here? Put your money where your mouth is if you are going to make ridiculous comments like this.
Shut up Erick. You're the last person who should ever be making a demand like this. You're the king of ridiculous comments.

i don't see the claim as being ridiculous. WTF has Bennett done to garner such accolades and trust that he'll hang around? For crying out loud, every single year his results get worse. He's already a 4th line player and he's trending in the wrong direction. A contract decision is due after next season, and I think the Flames walk away from him. I sure as Christ wouldn't pony up the money its going to take to retain his rights. In two years he'll be 26. He'll likely be coming off a 1 year prove it contract. Do you think anyone will give a damn about his draft pedigree at that point? No. Bennett will be on the bubble to make a team and will have plenty of competition from subsequent draft classes. I mean, he's been surpassed by Mangipagne and Dube in Calgary! He's where Toby Reider is right now. He's got AHL future written all over him.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #14
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Just passing through, just passing through, this looks like fun, anybody want a pizza? Popcorn?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #15
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
It seemed they cared more about resurrecting Lucic than they did about actually developing their highest draft pick in history.
I'm not sure that's a problem. At least Lucic contributes something.

If Bennett was even a 21 year old, the argument of developing him properly would be one I could get on board with. But we've missed that boat. Whether it was the Flames or Bennett or injuries or what, at what point does his draft pedigree stop to matter?

He's a 2014 draft pick. Think of all the failed 2013 high draft picks that teams have given up on (and subsequently became Flames!). By that logic the Flames should still have been trying to develop Lazar, Rychel, Shinkaruk, Poirier and Klimchuk too...
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #16
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Just passing through, just passing through, this looks like fun, anybody want a pizza? Popcorn?
Sure, pass me a slice of the best pizza there is, barbecue chicken.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #17
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
^ that's the only Bennett Trade I'd be ok with (Josh Anderson) unless he was thrown in to get an elite player.

The argument goes around and around every time his name gets brought up. He'd get more points if he had more time with better line mates, but he has to earn that time and capitalize when he does.

For me I see two things as the main factors in why Bennett hasn't been what we hoped. (or just one if you want to combine them into mismanagement.) But the first is position. He was drafted to be the teams future first line centre and after a strong rookie season he still didn't get tried as a centre. You can say that is for a whole bunch of reasons similar to what was mentioned above but what I saw this past season when he covered for injured Ryan was he seems to be far more comfortable playing down the middle and I think it suits his game much better. That was the best hockey I have seen from Bennett outside the playoffs as a flame. It's time to make him a permanent centre.

The second is consistency of line mates. And when I say this I mean consistency in who he is playing with and consistently getting to play with decent players. Again it said a lot that the best he has played outside of the playoffs was when he got multiple games with Dube and Lucic. they aren't even world beaters but he got to be the centre on a line with good players and it showed a glimpse of what he could do.

So, I think Bennett needs to be the 3rd line centre to start in the playoffs for two reasons. 1. We already know that he elevates in the playoffs but he also has chemistry with Dube and Lucic. 2. Ryan may make that line slightly better but the numbers were actually very close, but Ryan has also already proved that he can elevate guys into an effective 4th line. I'd like to see him do it again giving the flames 4 trusted lines.
I agree with this fully!

He looked great down the middle with those 2.

Jankowski and Reider are not players who have played well enough to be considered regulars and given that Ryan is going to be 34 next season we really should be taking longer looks of Bennett at C.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #18
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I'm not sure that's a problem. At least Lucic contributes something.

If Bennett was even a 21 year old, the argument of developing him properly would be one I could get on board with. But we've missed that boat. Whether it was the Flames or Bennett or injuries or what, at what point does his draft pedigree stop to matter?

He's a 2014 draft pick. Think of all the failed 2013 high draft picks that teams have given up on (and subsequently became Flames!). By that logic the Flames should still have been trying to develop Lazar, Rychel, Shinkaruk, Poirier and Klimchuk too...
Bennett is younger than Mangiapane who we are currently developing by playing him in situations where he can succeed.

Playing Bennett with Jankowski and Reider is not doing him any favours.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #19
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett will be in the NHL in two years let's not be ridiculous
Old 06-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #20
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett is an NHL player despite the constant BS and disdain for his failure of being a 4th OA pick.

I don't give up on Bennett until he's 25. For me he's been insanely misused by the Flames and I am pretty not okay with that. Any time he got traction exterior thing happened. 1st he lost his LW slot to Tkachuk immediately as soon as they announced his name at the draft podium, and thats totally okay and warranted. Then Gulutzan came along and wrecked everyone. Then this season he started clipping along and then yanked for Ryan once he got back which was infuriating. He succeeded when given the opportunity and then slapped back down after. Its all about traction and every time he's just getting rolling the flames duffed it. Yeah he doesn't really help his situation when he's stuck slogging along the players he's been saddled with and thats fine to say too.

But the guy just has this thing that gets up for big games like the playoffs. And I think its funny the sidestepping happening to stuff his playoff performances off. Its not a one off event for him, he's been a consistent figurehead in every playoff game he has played.

End of the day though, as much as I want Bennett to succeed here in a Flames jersey, I do think he'd be better off elsewhere. Its a damned bloody shame how this has unfolded. I hate it.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:

Tags
irrational hate , sammy benzo