Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #121
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The whole foreign students thing is a disaster in Canada right now, I believe they are receiving the full CERB allotment as well, so really no net gain to Canada.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #122
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
####ing China. Nobody should be surprised by this.

Don't get distracted by Russia, China is the real threat to democracy around the world.
Porque no los dos?
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #123
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Don't get distracted by Russia, China is the real threat to democracy around the world.
100%. The CCP is the new modern Nazi party. They have just replaced genocide of one ethnic minority for another. They need to be stopped. Their expansion along the new silk road and destruction of coral reefs in New Zealand shouldn't be accepted. The concentration camps shouldn't be accepted. The world needs to act before it's too late.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #124
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
100%. The CCP is the new modern Nazi party. They have just replaced genocide of one ethnic minority for another. They need to be stopped. Their expansion along the new silk road and destruction of coral reefs in New Zealand shouldn't be accepted. The concentration camps shouldn't be accepted. The world needs to act before it's too late.
Oh lordy...no, they're not. That's all I will say on the matter.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #125
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Godwin's law, no they are not Nazis. I think the problem is two-fold Russian-Chinese issue. World democracies are politically paralyzed at the moment with Russian misinformation and electoral interference campaigns that created deep seeded weakness in leadership. While world democracies are in chaos, China gets away with more and more political prosecution and power grabs.

The cold war never ended and chaos in the West is by Russian design, the Chinese are just capitalizing on it. The West needs to get its act together and focus and cleaning up corruption, corporate greed, and potential existential crisis within its ranks so it can properly address these external attacks on democracies. If it doesn't, Hong Kong will just be step 1.

Last edited by FlameOn; 08-10-2020 at 11:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #126
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is an insane number of officers to go and arrest and search the offices of one guy LOL. That would be like the FBI sending in officers to FOX headquarters to arrest people and search their offices if they found proof that they were aiding Trump and spreading misinformation with Russian influence.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #127
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
That is an insane number of officers to go and arrest and search the offices of one guy LOL. That would be like the FBI sending in officers to FOX headquarters to arrest people and search their offices if they found proof that they were aiding Trump and spreading misinformation with Russian influence.
MAGAs are actively pushing for President Tucker Carlson in 2024 so...
Old 08-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #128
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Fine.

Then the Dems go with Jon Stewart and Tucker gets destroyed in every debate.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #129
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Russia is a funny country. I don't think most ordinary people in Russia, or even those in leadership roles, see Russia ever getting into a conventional war with the U.S. or Western powers. They play the adversary role because it makes them more relevant and gives them power. If they aligned with the EU and U.S., their voice on the world stage wouldn't be nearly as loud.

With China, I get the sense that their leaders and much of the population expect there to be a reckoning with the West at some point. Their contention with the West seems more ideological than utility driven.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #130
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Oh man, please, pleeaaaasssseeee get him on that ballot.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #131
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
With China, I get the sense that their leaders and much of the population expect there to be a reckoning with the West at some point. Their contention with the West seems more ideological than utility driven.
Hmm I actually view China differently. I don't think they have a desire to get into any sort of war with the West or to invade and conquer foreign land and foreign people. I feel like they'd be fine if the West didn't try to influence the world's view on China's policies and how they govern the people of China. A bit of a mind your own business because we don't care about what you do to your people in America.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #132
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Hmm I actually view China differently. I don't think they have a desire to get into any sort of war with the West or to invade and conquer foreign land and foreign people. I feel like they'd be fine if the West didn't try to influence the world's view on China's policies and how they govern the people of China. A bit of a mind your own business because we don't care about what you do to your people in America.
The West cannot ignore China when China is using its economic weight to pressure our businesses to act on their behalf in terms of censoring and free speech and whatnot. The West cannot ignore Chinese human rights violations because to avoid a slip into autocracy and bigotry we need to keep advocating for democracy and tolerance. America, in particular, needs those reminders now more than it has in other recent years. "Just stay out of China's business" is an impossible solution, and thus not a solution at all.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #133
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It seems like a lot of the weaponry they have been developing lately is more about projecting power over distances. Not that I can hold that against them, because they are from the first, nor are they historically the worst. I agree that their first choice would be to be left alone, but they are simultaneously exerting power and influence on a global level. If you use the U.S. as an example of a country that does the same thing, armed conflict looks like a probable outcome eventually, likely in the form of proxy wars.

Recall their "Peace behind us, War in front of us" ad campaign last year:

Old 08-10-2020, 01:51 PM   #134
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Chinese Military has fully transitioned from a regional defense force/navy/airforce to one that can project power and carry out invasions, or pummel an enemy from a distace.

Their bigger hunger is around resources, energy independence and food independence. They've had their eyes on the ownership of disputed regions for a long time.

This is an aggressive Chinese government with an aggessive China Military that has been fighting a new version of way (Cyber) for years.

I don't buy that they just want to be left alone, they see themselves as the inner dragon of the Far East.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #135
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think every heinous, human-rights violating, atrocity sanctioning, power hungry nationalist government world round would prefer a ‘mind your own business’ approach.

Thankfully, we don’t tend to accept that.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #136
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The Chinese Military has fully transitioned from a regional defense force/navy/airforce to one that can project power and carry out invasions, or pummel an enemy from a distace.

Their bigger hunger is around resources, energy independence and food independence. They've had their eyes on the ownership of disputed regions for a long time.

This is an aggressive Chinese government with an aggessive China Military that has been fighting a new version of way (Cyber) for years.

China has changed a lot since Xi took over and started collecting titles within the government. He is building a bit of a personality cult among his supporters. Although things which promote personality cults are officially banned by the constitution, it seems to be happening probably more than any past leader since Mao.

I don't buy that they just want to be left alone, they see themselves as the inner dragon of the Far East.
I can't find it now, but I watched a mini-documentary a while back that talked about how the "Century of Humiliation" is taught in China, and how it affects how they see their place in the world now that they have power.

I can't claim to have any personal knowledge, but the message they were trying to make was that young people in China are excited about a new era where they finally get the respect they deserve. Like the pendulum has swung in their favour and they are not going to let the opportunity slip away.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #137
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not the Golden Phoenix of the Oriental Kingdom?
Old 08-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #138
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Are they on skip the dishes?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #139
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are they on skip the dishes?
No that's the Golden Phoenix of the Oriental Kitchen
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #140
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Jimmy Lai's arrest HKPF sent over 200 cops to arrest 1 guy and did so while refusing to produce a warrant. They also illegally searched and tried to seize one of Jimmy Lai's newspaper publication's computers/equipment, and harassed journalists until lawyers showed up. Turns out HKPF warrant didn't cover anything they did at the newspaper.

I expect upcoming changes in the National Security law to address this type of oversight

Quote:
The police arrested Li Zhiying, the founder of Next Media, on suspicion of "collaborating with foreign forces" in violation of Article 29 of the "Minato National Security Law". At the same time, they sent nearly 200 police officers and agents into the "Apple Daily" building to search.

Reporters have been asking the police to produce a warrant. Although the police claimed to have a warrant, they have always refused to show it. The police officers entered and exited the room without authorization before the lawyer arrived, and even revealed the papers on the reporter's desk. But during the reporter's live broadcast, a police officer asked the reporter to stop filming because he would take down personal and news materials.

In addition, employees present were required to register their identity. Police officers blocked the entrance of the building, and employees must register their identities at the entrance when returning to the company. After the lawyer arrived, the police began to let the lawyer check the search warrant.
https://www.facebook.com/10525919744...9341530557448/

Last edited by FlameOn; 08-10-2020 at 09:10 PM.