Old 11-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #3321
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Big "kick" Dominick is back for 2020.

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/article/d...ator-returning
Crucial re-signing. Hopefully Brown, Pasquotti, Büscher, Minatel, and Waterman are next.

Would love to see Malonga and Escalante back, but have the feeling both are moving on for sure.

Last edited by Thunderball; 11-28-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #3322
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I agree. The clubs aren't paying retail prices for their kits from Macron either. I'd guess that they'd be getting them at a wholesale price at most, or even less in exchange for advertising/exposure as per the sponsorship agreement with Macron.

Plus the potential missed opportunity of merch sales by going generic needs to be factored in. I'm sure that black shirts will sell well, but if I want something that screams Cavalry, I probably won't opt for "CanPL generic away black". As teams form their identities, league mandated black would seems like it would cost more in long-term branding opportunities missed than any pennies saved in the short-term.

I'm not overly fussed. As I mentioned earlier, the beauty of soccer is that the kits change frequently enough that nothing is ever around for long, for better or worse.
Well, same as OneSoccer cutting out live commentary halfway through the spring season, it all adds up. Macron may also wanted to scale back from providing that many unique skus to a league thst didn’t have probably as many eyes on it as anticipated or promised to them.

My guess is the league and club shared the kit costs.

Sure they don’t pay retail prices but when virtually every piece of the kit (shorts, socks, jerseys) were individual to each team and there was no sharing (some of the white shorts may have been the same, though I think they all had a unique stripe), it adds up in cost and availability, for the league and clubs and for Macron.

So instead of having to get an extra 3 pair of York9 away socks from Macron, now away standard design socks are from the league office.

I am sure Macron also didn’t see the financial or exposure return of providing or having 42 unique skus, when games are on a streaming service and attendance was below 2000 spectators, so now it’s down to 24 skus at most.

They made a big todo and video about all the coaches visiting the Macron facility and seeing all the designs and being bespoke; my guess is there will be no trip to Bologna this year.

No problem with the move either, though I did like the green away as it did fit the club branding and it was unique. I wonder if the sash will be gone on the new homes; they had unbranded jerseys in the shop the last handful of games that also didn’t have the sash, though I think they’re the same reddy orange color.

Last edited by browna; 11-28-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #3323
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

40% off all merch on the CPL online shop today...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 07:22 PM   #3324
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2019, 11:29 PM   #3325
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
40% off all merch on the CPL online shop today...
Thanks! I mean I didn't plan on spending $150 on gear today but oh well. I always wanted a Waterman jersey and a t-shirt and a hoodie.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #3326
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really pleased to hear that Zator will be back in the fold next season.

Ledgerwood, Trafford, Camargo, Carducci and Zator are a good place to start for next season.

I think that Bouscher is confirmed gone, judging by his Instagram.

Anyone have any other hearsay?

The player I am most nervous to hear an update on is Nathan Mavila who has a huge part of the team last year, he is a candidate to look for greener pastures.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #3327
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Really pleased to hear that Zator will be back in the fold next season.

Ledgerwood, Trafford, Camargo, Carducci and Zator are a good place to start for next season.

Anyone have any other hearsay?

The player I am most nervous to hear an update on is Nathan Mavila who has a huge part of the team last year, he is a candidate to look for greener pastures.
The unfortunate side effect of having such a good team is that all the players who had good years are going to want a raise, but the cap didn't go up. So some players will be looking for more money elsewhere.

My contact at the club that shares info didn't have any knowledge of who's staying and who's going last time we chatted. They are keeping it pretty tight lipped.

Tommy did mention in an interview that about 80% of the team would be back. Buscher and Minatel made a lot of appearances on behalf of the club before they went back home so I would lean towards them both staying. If I had to guess, I'd say Escalante, Malonga, Patino, Giantsopoulos and Fakunle are the ones leaving. Escalante and Malonga moving on to clubs for more money. Giantsopoulos tries to get more minutes elsewhere in CPL. Patino and Fakunle because they aren't going to be more than depth players.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #3328
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Tommy staying? That's the real question.

I bet CSA is snooping around, or an MLS club.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #3329
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think he just went back to Germany, that's all. I mean, it's where he's from. He's been making lots of public appearances for the Cavs, which is usually a good sign.

I'd love to have him back. One of the best players in the league, IMO.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #3330
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I think he just went back to Germany, that's all. I mean, it's where he's from. He's been making lots of public appearances for the Cavs, which is usually a good sign.

He initially had Cavalry FC in his IG bio and doesn’t anymore...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #3331
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
He initially had Cavalry FC in his IG bio and doesn’t anymore...

Ohhh.... didn't catch that. Damn, my bad.

Booo.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #3332
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

He also maybe a story saying Goodbye to Calgary, and someone said comeback soon, and he said, 'hopefully'. So who knows, but my guess is at 26 he knows that his potential earning years as a footballer are limited and that will be the most important thing for him when signing with a club.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #3333
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He also maybe a story saying Goodbye to Calgary, and someone said comeback soon, and he said, 'hopefully'. So who knows, but my guess is at 26 he knows that his potential earning years as a footballer are limited and that will be the most important thing for him when signing with a club.

It could also maybe be work visa related...

Old 12-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #3334
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the very least, it looks and sounds like he really enjoyed his time here. That's always a good thing when he goes back and tells his football peers about his experience in Calgary.

I hope he's back somehow, but if not, I'm glad his Cavs experience was a positive one. They seemed to have really, really bonded as a team, and as close friends.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #3335
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hopefully its a negotiating tactic to put pressure on the Cavs to pay him a little more.

Shame the cap didn’t go up... the league has to grow and take a bit of a risk.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #3336
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
Hopefully its a negotiating tactic to put pressure on the Cavs to pay him a little more.

Shame the cap didn’t go up... the league has to grow and take a bit of a risk.
I think that the cap wont go up until attendance goes up. Also, the league has already proven that it has very little parity in terms of attendance and calibre. That may even indicate that the cap is already to high, as its intent is to make all teams financially feasible and after that competitive.

This league for better or for worse will go only where the worst teams go. I am fine with the cap where it is, if it allows for teams to be stable and inspire expansion.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #3337
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the existing clubs have to be sustainable before we see any increase in the salary cap. The demand for what people are willing to pay for a game has been established and until that demand goes up the cap stays at a level that keeps these clubs afloat. These owners aren't going to throw money away for a fan base that may or may not grow as a result of the money spend.

I think Cavalry are in decent shape, but until clubs like York 9 are in the same shape the cap stays where it is, or sees very modest increases.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #3338
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the existing clubs have to be sustainable before we see any increase in the salary cap. The demand for what people are willing to pay for a game has been established and until that demand goes up the cap stays at a level that keeps these clubs afloat.

I think Cavalry are in decent shape, but until clubs like York 9 are in the same shape the cap stays where it is, or sees very modest increases.
Have you had a chance to talk about finances? Do you know if the team is getting the ROI they expected?
Old 12-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #3339
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Was his contract up? Wouldn't it be normal to take away your team colors and branding when you aren't signed? IG notwithstanding, I'll wait for the club to officially announce it.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #3340
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that the cap wont go up until attendance goes up. Also, the league has already proven that it has very little parity in terms of attendance and calibre. That may even indicate that the cap is already to high, as its intent is to make all teams financially feasible and after that competitive.

This league for better or for worse will go only where the worst teams go. I am fine with the cap where it is, if it allows for teams to be stable and inspire expansion.
I think they need more parity in general before they can really push the cap up. You can't have one team run roughshod over everyone else (even if it is the Cavs!) and have that be good for the league in the longer-term. If you're FC Edmonton and trying to sell tickets on a cold Tuesday night to watch your team get worked by the Cavs yet again, it's got to be tough.

Quote:
Have you had a chance to talk about finances? Do you know if the team is getting the ROI they expected?
Honestly, if they didn't blow away their ROI expectations this year, the league is doomed. That couldn't have gone any better for them, and they maximized the number of important games and at the perfect times as well! The weather was great for basically every game, and they had a great product.

Add to that that the concession and souvenir spending seemed to be continually rising right through the last game, and they must have turned a profit for the season. If they didn't exceed their expectations then those expectations must have been way too high, or as I mentioned above, this league is doomed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge