Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #201
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I pulled in my first rainbow today worth keeping. I bought all the gear to clean and fillet, and tonight I'll be frying one up for the first time .
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #202
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that the Tigers have just been stocked or maybe not quite yet. They were selecting where to stock them this summer and at this point they might have put them in, or might still be doing that through the end of the summer/early fall? I'm not entirely sure.

Here's a listing I found though that might or might not be accurate. http://afgmag.com/tiger-trout-update-july-3-2015/

Scroll down for the list at the bottom. Unfortunately most of these places don't look very close. I think that the Chain Lake referenced there is up north somewhere and not the one west of Nanton.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #203
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A highly recommended trip for any Alberta fly rodder who has not done so is to fish the Elk, Wigwam, Kootenay & St. Mary rivers in south eastern B.C. (there are many more great streams in the area as well) Great opportunity to catch a very large Bull along with some of the best dry fly fishing for both Westslope & Yellowstone Cutthroats anywhere. The Elk & St. Mary are fly fishing only.

*Make a pit stop at Jim Smith / Wasa Lake for Bass, they are lot's of fun on a 6 weight fly rod.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:47 PM   #204
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
Hence why in that area of the Highwood, you can keep 2 Brookies at any size. I think we will start doing that more often, not a bad snack to have!

I'll be sure to take better pictures next time we go.

Where can we fish for Tiger trout? I would love to see one of those up close.

Oh, and I only got 80%, 32/40. Some of the lake trout and browns I got wrong. Boo.
Exactly. I am a diehard C&R fisher but when you know purging a certain species of fish is to the benefit of the native fish population it is a little easier to bonk them.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:31 PM   #205
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So, I have been looking up Canadian companies that make nice fly rods. Can anyone suggestion a good, local company that makes custom rods we should support?

I really have no idea. I would guess most parts are made overseas and assembled here, so maybe not the best plan to try for "Canadian made." I just like to spend locally and help support the community if possible.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #206
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=215613

http://www.amundson.ca/ffishingrods

http://www.pierowayrods.com/#

Last edited by troutman; 08-31-2015 at 06:49 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:09 PM   #207
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ya, I was taking a look at those but I'm not too sure who to go with. I want to find a place that has a good warranty and someone to deal with locally. Pieroway seems like a good option but I will have to do a bit more research.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:12 PM   #208
Buzzcock
Draft Pick

Quote:
Ya, I was taking a look at those but I'm not too sure who to go with. I want to find a place that has a good warranty and someone to deal with locally. Pieroway seems like a good option but I will have to do a bit more research.
Pieroway is local but I've never owned any of their rods so I can't speak to their warranty. TFO has local distribution so if you head down to their facility you can get same day rod replacement.

Pretty much all others will require you to ship the rod away for warranty service and most have a lifetime (or 25 year) warranty.

My only warranty experience is with Sage and St. Croix. Sage was good - they couldn't replace my broken tip so they sent me an entire brand new rod for free although it took them a couple of months.

I have a soft spot for St. Croix rods as I really think their rods generally offer the best value for money and their warranty includes an upgrade program. You can either have your rod repaired or trade it in for a higher value rod. I did this with a 15 year old St. Croix Imperial and upgraded to a Legend Elite for a healthy discount.
Buzzcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #209
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzcock View Post
Pieroway is local but I've never owned any of their rods so I can't speak to their warranty. TFO has local distribution so if you head down to their facility you can get same day rod replacement.

Pretty much all others will require you to ship the rod away for warranty service and most have a lifetime (or 25 year) warranty.

My only warranty experience is with Sage and St. Croix. Sage was good - they couldn't replace my broken tip so they sent me an entire brand new rod for free although it took them a couple of months.

I have a soft spot for St. Croix rods as I really think their rods generally offer the best value for money and their warranty includes an upgrade program. You can either have your rod repaired or trade it in for a higher value rod. I did this with a 15 year old St. Croix Imperial and upgraded to a Legend Elite for a healthy discount.
That is really good to know, I was taking a look at the St. Croix rods last night and like what I see. I might go that route. Sounds like they have great customer service.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #210
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
A highly recommended trip for any Alberta fly rodder who has not done so is to fish the Elk, Wigwam, Kootenay & St. Mary rivers in south eastern B.C. (there are many more great streams in the area as well) Great opportunity to catch a very large Bull along with some of the best dry fly fishing for both Westslope & Yellowstone Cutthroats anywhere. The Elk & St. Mary are fly fishing only.

*Make a pit stop at Jim Smith / Wasa Lake for Bass, they are lot's of fun on a 6 weight fly rod.
I will say that the Elk is a great river with amazing cutthroats and its tribs hold some awesome fall bull trout fishing but there is a monster BUT attached to fishing in BC if you are non resident (not an income tax paying resident)

IF you want to fish the Elk there is on top of your non residence fishing license (20 bucks a day or 36 bucks for 8 consecutive days) you will also have to purchase a classified waters permit valid only for the day listed and for the river/ creek/ stream listed (Class I is $40 a day or Class II is $20 a day)

The Elk river is a class II river so if you wanted to go for the long weekend you are looking at

$36 for an 8 day license which you will only use 4 days of
4X$20 bucks for classified water
$116 bucks plus tax for 4 days of non guided fishing

Or for a years worth of fishing I go to Montana for $70 i get a full year of fishing plus a discounted rate at some of the campgrounds.

Because of this reason (as well as some of the "conservation" reasoning's) I have not wet a line in BC since the rule changes

BTW for a resident of BC to fish in Alberta.... WIN card(good for 5 years) $8
and $28 for a full year.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences/
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/lic...assifiedWaters
http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/license/av...eLicenses.html
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cavalera403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #211
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalera403 View Post
I will say that the Elk is a great river with amazing cutthroats and its tribs hold some awesome fall bull trout fishing but there is a monster BUT attached to fishing in BC if you are non resident (not an income tax paying resident)

IF you want to fish the Elk there is on top of your non residence fishing license (20 bucks a day or 36 bucks for 8 consecutive days) you will also have to purchase a classified waters permit valid only for the day listed and for the river/ creek/ stream listed (Class I is $40 a day or Class II is $20 a day)

The Elk river is a class II river so if you wanted to go for the long weekend you are looking at

$36 for an 8 day license which you will only use 4 days of
4X$20 bucks for classified water
$116 bucks plus tax for 4 days of non guided fishing

Or for a years worth of fishing I go to Montana for $70 i get a full year of fishing plus a discounted rate at some of the campgrounds.

Because of this reason (as well as some of the "conservation" reasoning's) I have not wet a line in BC since the rule changes

BTW for a resident of BC to fish in Alberta.... WIN card(good for 5 years) $8
and $28 for a full year.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences/
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/lic...assifiedWaters
http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/license/av...eLicenses.html

The classified waters fee is what keeps it a world-class fishery. All funds are returned to conservation efforts and enforcement. It was nearly tapped out before it was classified class II.

It prevents the casual fisherman from just stopping on the side of the highway and fishing.

It is well worth the $20/day as a non-resident.

The burn is if you actually own property in BC, but your primary address is Alberta, you are unable to buy the classified annual.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #212
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
The classified waters fee is what keeps it a world-class fishery. All funds are returned to conservation efforts and enforcement. It was nearly tapped out before it was classified class II.

It prevents the casual fisherman from just stopping on the side of the highway and fishing.

The burn is if you actually own property in BC, but your primary address is Alberta, you are unable to buy the classified annual.
Is it though, or was the push to keep Alberta guides from crossing the line and taking clients there? BC has some great fishing I guess, but its very expensive. Like the other poster I've been going to Montana for the past few years and it's great. Not much in terms of added cost, if at all, and none of those day fees.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #213
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

And that is what burns me. If you want to call it for conservation make it catch and release only (which it isn't) you can keep 1 trout/ char per day. If they really want to protect the fishery put in a maximum number of rod days like some of the rivers in Montana or put them on draws (IE the smith) all they are doing now is milking it for whoever will pay not actively looking to protect anything.

The Bow river, the Mo, Hell even the Kootenay river in Libby are all world class rivers that have the same or better access the places like the Elk for road stopping.

It is a cash grab nothing more nothing less.
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cavalera403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #214
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalera403 View Post
And that is what burns me. If you want to call it for conservation make it catch and release only (which it isn't) you can keep 1 trout/ char per day. If they really want to protect the fishery put in a maximum number of rod days like some of the rivers in Montana or put them on draws (IE the smith) all they are doing now is milking it for whoever will pay not actively looking to protect anything.

The Bow river, the Mo, Hell even the Kootenay river in Libby are all world class rivers that have the same or better access the places like the Elk for road stopping.

It is a cash grab nothing more nothing less.
It is pure catch and release in the most sensitive/accessible area above Elho:

ELK RIVER
(above Elko Dam)
Bait ban, June 15-Oct 31
Trout/char release June 15-Oct 31: from Lower Elk Lake to Forsyth Cr, from Line Creek bridge to CPR bridge at Sparwood, from Hwy
#3 bridge at Hosmer to the northern Hwy #3 bridge at Fernie, AND from the bridge at Morrissey to Elko Dam
All other parts: trout/char daily quota =1 (none under 30 cm), June 15-Oct 31
No powered boats
Class II water when open, including tributaries

If you fished the Elk a decade ago, and then fished it today, you would see the benefit of the classified waters.

We will agree to disagree.

For the record, I would love to see classified waters put on the Bow from Bearspaw to Highway 24, and would gladly pay the annual fee. The result would be less clowns carrying plastic bags of trout away from the river.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #215
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have any of you guys used Tom Thumb flies in Alberta? Someone in a fly shop on Vancouver Island recommended them to me in April. I wasn't sure so I thought why not give it a try. They don't seem to mimic anything in particular, so is a mystery to me why trout like this fly.

Anyway, I have been looking in stores and online, everyone is either sold out or don't know what I am talking about. Does anyone know of a good place to buy bulk flies in Canada, so I know they deliver. Ie, trusted sources. I do use Icky fly works now but they are sold out and only carry 1 size.

What are you guys' favourite flies that you swear by?
Old 09-01-2015, 03:20 PM   #216
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
What are you guys' favourite flies that you swear by?
The Adams always produces for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adams_%28dry_fly%29

Hatch Charts:
http://www.armanglers.com/charts.php#mountain

Last edited by troutman; 09-01-2015 at 03:25 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #217
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Is it though, or was the push to keep Alberta guides from crossing the line and taking clients there? BC has some great fishing I guess, but its very expensive. Like the other poster I've been going to Montana for the past few years and it's great. Not much in terms of added cost, if at all, and none of those day fees.
I don't profess to know the politics, or motivation, behind the initial move to classified waters. I just see a marked improvement in the fishery.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #218
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I can relate to both sentiments. It's expensive when you make a correlation with what we pay to fish annually here in Alberta. It is very worthwhile, if only once. Once you splash the Elk, it's hard not to return however. If you compare it to what people pay to float the Bow with a guide, it's cheap.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #219
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

this is the Tom Thumb, definitely my favorite. Caught my first rainbow on this fly on my fly rod and I hope to catch many more.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #220
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had a lot of fun this weekend dragging some beautiful lake trout out of Namur Lake in Northern Alberta where my boss has a cabin.

schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:

Tags
bow river , fishing , fly fishing