Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #1121
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apple Watch is a tech gadget.

The tech gadget is more to the watch end because of the milled case and the sapphire crystal display and fashion strap accessories. But is still a tech item.

Where Apple missed the boat, mind you it could have been on purpose, was to not treat it as more of a tech item by allowing the watch to be serviced long term. That is to build and support long term replacement of battery and tech core driving the watch, so that it's value isn't made obsolete.

It's to hard to justify an investment in a fashion piece that will be outdated. Where as truly well made watches have parts made and service available for decades.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #1122
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Picked up this Raymond Weil Freelancer a little while back. Face looks a lot better in person (not so flat and matte)[/IMG]
Nice. I really like the Raymond Weils. I was left a small sum from my Grandpa when he passed and wanted to get something as a keepsake instead of just spending it. Might have to revisit them. Did you buy that locally?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #1123
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Nice. I really like the Raymond Weils. I was left a small sum from my Grandpa when he passed and wanted to get something as a keepsake instead of just spending it. Might have to revisit them. Did you buy that locally?
I didn't. I checked out Calgary jewlery but the best the would do was still about 30% more then I got if for off Amazon, with a full manufacturers warranty (some are warranty through the seller so keep any eye out for that). Surprisingly I didn't get hit with tax or duty...so came away very happy.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #1124
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
I didn't.
Thanks. I'll have a look. There was a really sharp Freelancer I tried on in New York that I've always liked. Brown strap, yellow accents on the hands. Was it direct from Amazon or a seller on Amazon?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #1125
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine was direct from Amazon but it's a mixed bag in there. I know the freelancer you're talking about and I've seen some decent deals on them on eBay recently, if you're comfortable with that kind if purchase. It's a nice watch and one I considered for a while before going with the black one.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:42 AM   #1126
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not to be a naysayer, but I would like to see the watch go in for inspection. Would be interesting.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:24 AM   #1127
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Property Manager DB View Post
Admittedly not a huge watch/tech guy so I have a question;
Is the apple watch just a fancy ipod nano that has talking features and a bracelet?
This is my take.

The Apple watch, is the watch for the guy who hates watches.

A decent watch should be something you see yourself wearing 20-30 years from now. I know a couple guys that are wearing the same Submariners they got in the 80's. And with regular factory service/refurbishment, they still look amazing.

You'll be lucky to get 2 years out of an Apple watch before it's considered a paper weight. Unless Apple plans to have a factory upgrade plan for them, especially on the ones that creep into the thousands, it's a total waste of money.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2015, 03:26 AM   #1128
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just want to know what the reasoning is for getting a lot of nice watches. To me, it seems like a waste since the whole point of a watch is to tell time and that has been taken over by a phone.

Just want to know what the mindset is. I'm quite interested to know. I don't have nearly the appreciation for watches as I think that I should and it kinda bothers me. Maybe I am missing the point.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:32 AM   #1129
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Not to be a naysayer, but I would like to see the watch go in for inspection. Would be interesting.
Admittedly it's a risk I took. You never really know when buying online. That said i did spend considerable time researching the watch and viewing it at a local dealer before ordering. My online purchase was packed in the same order, with the materials as online unboxing videos suggest. It appeara to have all legit papers. The watch itself feels and smells identical to what I viewed locally. I've taken time to inspect and compare the movement from what's visible....I'm convinced it's either legit or a very very very good knock off...all that said, you never know until it goes for service.

I'm happy with it so that's good enough for me.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #1130
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
I just want to know what the reasoning is for getting a lot of nice watches. To me, it seems like a waste since the whole point of a watch is to tell time and that has been taken over by a phone.

Just want to know what the mindset is. I'm quite interested to know. I don't have nearly the appreciation for watches as I think that I should and it kinda bothers me. Maybe I am missing the point.
It's the same rationale as for cars and many other things. Why buy a Porsche when a Corolla will get you from A to B? Part of the watch game is appreciating the 'technical artistry' of them. As with any hobby, what seems like a waste to one person seems completely sane to another.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #1131
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Where Apple missed the boat, mind you it could have been on purpose, was to not treat it as more of a tech item by allowing the watch to be serviced long term. That is to build and support long term replacement of battery and tech core driving the watch, so that it's value isn't made obsolete.
Apple knows exactly what it's doing. There's no point in trying to make cutting-edge tech items for the long-term. Trying to keep your Apple watch relevant into the next decade would be like you rocking a Motorola Razr right now. The people who buy the gold-plated ones for 10k should know that they are buying something that will be virtually worthless in 5 years time unless they melt it down for the tiny bit of gold. Instead of trying to support outdated tech, Apple will just gladly sell you a new must-have.

Funnily enough, the only reason mechanical watches are a decent long-term buy is because they are totally technologically irrelevant. As soon as quartz came around, they became obsolete in terms of their tech. There was quite a sales dip in mechanical watches at the time, but since then, they've sort of repositioned themselves in terms of what they mean to us. Today, they are treated more like jewelry or objet d'art...cool because of their materials, mechanical intricacies and craftsmanship. They are rather terrible at telling time, and yet nobody cares.

The Apple watch is just pure tech gadget....or at most, tech jewelry. But in 10 years, people will care about their Apple watch about as much as they care about that yellow portable CD player that's been sitting in their closet for the last decade. Meanwhile, a 50 year old Speedmaster will still be sold and worn by people everywhere. Past it's time...yet timeless.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #1132
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

And some will increase in value. Like the Paul Newman Rolex Daytona, as an example.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #1133
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys are kidding yourself if you think new generations growing up with Apple Watches are going to want old watches that can't send emails or phone calls.

There may be niche markets in the future for them, but they're going to go the way of the dodo. And fast.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #1134
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
You guys are kidding yourself if you think new generations growing up with Apple Watches are going to want old watches that can't send emails or phone calls.

There may be niche markets in the future for them, but they're going to go the way of the dodo. And fast.
Yeah, you are totally missing the point.

1. Mechanical watches are already technologically obsolete...they have been for decades. Why haven't they gone the way of the dodo then? I grew up when calculator watches were around...should I refuse to wear any watch that can't do math now?

2. Your $10 Timex might be going away, but a $10K Rolex will be here to stay as long as people will value things like luxury, craftsmanship, vanity, and status. High-end watches are already a niche market, because they are seen as jewelry and pieces of art. They are luxury items, and luxury items don't need to make sense or need to do things to have value.

3. You're going to look like quite the jack-ass making a call into your wrist.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #1135
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

Mechanical luxury watches were obsolete the second quartz watches came out. Yet they still have a massive market 40 years later. Table 5 pretty much covers it.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #1136
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

by this logic, rappers must be the the biggest Luddites in the world. all those fancy diamond studded rings, bracelets, chains, earrings, and none of that junk can even take a phone call or track calories burned.

remember when Biggie said to throw your rollies in the sky and wave them side to side? maybe it's cause his watch couldn't lock down a good enough GPS signal.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #1137
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post

I really don't know if there is a point...lol.

To me, nice watches to men, are what nice shoes are to women. Some guys have the fetish, some don't. In the odd instance I have forgotten my watch in the morning, I feel 'off'. I just need to have one on my wrist. Even though the time is in the bottom corner of my computer screen, and on my phone, I don't look at it, I will still look at my wrist. And I think some of the old school guys that remember growing up without those conveniences, it became habit.

When I meet someone new, or a new client, the first thing I look at is their watch. And it tells you a lot about the person in front of you. Just a natural instinct.

I used read the watch sections over and over in Consumers Distributing catalogues and Sears catalogues as a kid. Didn't really know what I was looking at, but they fascinated me. I used to sync my watch to channel 4 time, once a week. I used to take apart my digital watches to find out how they worked. Why my mind became so interested in them, who knows. But it is something you can never shake, no matter how hard you try. And the older you get, the more you start to appreciate the high end stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #1138
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some people spend thousand dollars every year chasing a little white ball across a park. Some people travel the world to visit a winery that makes a product that you can buy in the store down the street. Some people like to drive cars with less technology than a Tata Nano. And some people are fascinated by watches that are mechanical pieces of wonder, yet are functionally redundant.

None of it make sense if you try to think about it too much... yet these stupid little things are what make us happy and define us as individuals.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:14 PM   #1139
Doodlebug
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Interesting concept...the netjet of high end watches, started by a former netjets exec. Too bad its only in the US for now, would be a very nice way to test drive some watches.

https://www.elevenjames.com/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/arielada...-month-option/
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doodlebug For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #1140
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
Interesting concept...the netjet of high end watches, started by a former netjets exec. Too bad its only in the US for now, would be a very nice way to test drive some watches.

https://www.elevenjames.com/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/arielada...-month-option/
That's fascinating. I wouldn't sign up for it, but I love the concept. Instead of spending $1,800 per year (the cheapest option), I'd rather just buy a watch of my own each year, but I can certainly see the appeal in wearing some of these gorgeous time pieces that would be out of my regular price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote