Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2024, 12:22 AM   #381
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Leafs aren't getting Saros because Nashville is too smart. If they do, the Jeannot return will look like a joke compared to what they get from Toronto.
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:02 AM   #382
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving is a puppet gm. It’s actually hilarious.

Now we need the Oilers to implode like this.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:22 AM   #383
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I don't think Markstrom would be their target. I could see Saros given the younger age. Marner + Minten or something, I could see happening. Then they'd wait the season out until Tavares' contract is done to use that money on D.
A couple problems. First, the Preds don't want to move Saros and second, Marner has a NMC and doesn't want to leave Toronto.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 08:28 AM   #384
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know we say this every year but if the Leafs lose this series I just don't see how they can return with the core four next season. I'm not sure of Marner's value with a year left on his deal. He's a really good regular season player that struggles in the playoffs and I doubt he waives his NTC. Good luck wizard.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 08:33 AM   #385
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marner is not leaving.

I wonder what Shanahan has up his sleeve and tells Treliving to do.

Keefe just got an extension. One of the first things Tre did in Calgary was sign Hartley to an extension after Burke told him too.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:12 AM   #386
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
I’m fine with a massive overpay for Saros. One less goalie available for teams like LA and the devils to acquire.
Establish that market!
Old 04-28-2024, 10:21 AM   #387
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Is Tre gonna blow this team up too? He’s gonna start to develop a reputation
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:41 AM   #388
Pipty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think Tre's rep is to actually double down and sign ufas that other teams do not want to re-sign because they are asking for too much
Pipty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:42 AM   #389
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I don't think Tre keeps his job if Shanahan goes.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:54 AM   #390
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm, but then I feel like if the Leafs get rid of Shanahan, it would be this offseason and giving Tre only 1 season as GM doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:56 AM   #391
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving is a puppet gm.

This team is run by Shanahan.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:59 AM   #392
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
No coach can help the leafs. They need to rebuild. Of course they just signed them all to extensions.

Hopefully Tavares up next 8 years 80 million
The Leafs should not rebuild. They have three of the best forwards in the game. The odds of getting a group like Matthews, Nylander, and Marner again are really small.

They need to be better at allocating cap and building a d core.

The Leafs should have never signed Tavares. They need to take that money and spread it out among improved defence and support players. They just need to build a more complete team, not one that's so top heavy but can be shut down with physical play.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 11:04 AM   #393
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Treliving is a puppet gm.

This team is run by Shanahan.
With the confirmed history of Treliving extending his last contract with the Flames only after ownership confirmed he'd be given elevated authority to make decisions (with some understandable exceptions), I don't think it makes a lot of sense that he would join the Leafs if he were a puppet and had very little autonomy.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 11:26 AM   #394
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Hmm, but then I feel like if the Leafs get rid of Shanahan, it would be this offseason and giving Tre only 1 season as GM doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The same idea as a GM wanting his own coach, a president of hockey ops would want his own GM.

I am not saying he's as good as gone, but I won't be shocked if he gets gassed as well.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 05:43 PM   #395
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Leafs defence has been fine and limiting chances. People on here saying the Leafs should have traded for Tanev? Is he a big goal scorer? I don't see how he could have helped this team create more offence. Leafs have some of the highest paid forwards in the league but can't score goals. And trading for Markstrom or Saros? It just means they lose 2-1 in OT. You aren't going to win many playoff series scoring 1.5 goals a game.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 06:06 PM   #396
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Leafs defence has been fine and limiting chances. People on here saying the Leafs should have traded for Tanev? Is he a big goal scorer? I don't see how he could have helped this team create more offence. Leafs have some of the highest paid forwards in the league but can't score goals. And trading for Markstrom or Saros? It just means they lose 2-1 in OT. You aren't going to win many playoff series scoring 1.5 goals a game.
Eh. It's not a well built team. They don't have any difference makers on defense or in the net. The core four is been an abysmal failure in the playoffs because they don't have any difference makers outside of those four players. They really need an elite defenseman like Josi, Hughes, Makar, etc.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 06:56 PM   #397
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
So what are you suggesting - do nothing?

They need better goaltending and they need better defense. Trade one of the forwards to get better balance. Then go from there.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2024, 07:00 PM   #398
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Eh. It's not a well built team. They don't have any difference makers on defense or in the net. The core four is been an abysmal failure in the playoffs because they don't have any difference makers outside of those four players. They really need an elite defenseman like Josi, Hughes, Makar, etc.

I don't agree with this personally, aside from that first sentence. You don't think Reilly is generally a difference maker? He's a number 1 on many teams. He hasn't let them down this playoffs much. The core two have mostly been tame. Matthews doesn't make others around him better, he's a pure goalscorer who will not get his hands dirty in the corners aside from using his stick. Marner is timid and does not want to be hit. Tavares can be aggressive in the sense of taking it down the middle, but his age means limited speed. He also won't hit. Nylander was injured. Domi is perfect for what he brings for the team, Knies is perfect on the second line. Reeves and Bertuzzi are inflated nothings. Jarnkrok and Kampf aren't a problem for where they are though not great (but you don't expect great from fourth line guys). Anyway, they lost because their top two didn't perform, not because of their bottom two lines didn't perform. Their back end aside from Reilly and McCabe, is mediocre, and their goaltending didn't steal one. But their true reason for losing really lies on their top guys not getting dirty and scoring. In the playoffs everyone has to push hard and do things outside their comfort zone. Matthews and Marner, specifically, for all they're getting paid do not do anything outside their comfort. As "leaders" it's pathetic.

Last edited by bluejays; 04-28-2024 at 07:03 PM.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:04 PM   #399
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

They need better goaltending and they need better defense. Trade one of the forwards to get better balance. Then go from there.
Yup, they should absolutely do nothing and continue to lose in the first round till eternity. That would make me very, very happy.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:15 PM   #400
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Where have I heard this before?

Leafs are Oilers-east and they can both stay the same way for eternity.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote