Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #661
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Good. I hope people in Central Canada suffer.
Even my Aunt Mary?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 07:23 PM   #662
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

That's a good point troutman. What about my childhood friend, Andrew? Why would someone hope for his suffering?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:26 PM   #663
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1353877527928909828
Old 01-25-2021, 07:32 PM   #664
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
To be fair, he isn't directly defending Qanon. He is using the the Qanon narraitve to create spin to display fake outrage to generate real outrage among his supporters about government overreach in an Biden administration.

It sounds like a really minor difference and perhaps it is, but it is a difference, and it matters.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #665
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Dominion voting systems is going after Giuliani now

Quote:
In the defamation lawsuit against Giuliani, lawyers for Dominion noted that “while Giuliani spread falsehoods about Dominion being owned by Venezuelan communists” he did not “make those claims in lawsuits he pushed on behalf of Trump.” The lawsuit also cites Giuliani’s numerous claims that Dominion aided Democrats’ election fraud attempts despite receiving a cease-and-desist letter, as well as his numerous podcast, radio show, YouTube, and network TV appearances on shows like OANN, Fox, and Fox Business — all spent attacking the voting hardware company and labeling them as a key member of a conspiracy to steal the 2020 presidential election from Trump.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other...?ocid=msedgdhp
Old 01-25-2021, 08:08 PM   #666
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Apologies I should have been clearer. BC has a provincial speculation tax (its a misnomer - its a capital tax) which applies to parts of BC including the lower mainland, Vancouver Island and the Okanagan which, unless the property is occupied or rented for at least 6 consecutive months of the year, amounts to an annual tax on the value of the property (in addition to property taxes). Its true the rate is higher for foreigners, but it did result in some residents of BC and Alberta having to sell their cottages, and caused some buyers to look elsewhere. Most of the affected municipalities strongly opposed the tax on the basis of lost investment in the local economies.
I don't know for sure this isn't true, although I would have to drive at least 6 hours from Vancouver to find a cottage affordable enough that anyone that bought it might be so 'poor' that would worry about the tax, but even so the tax has brought down and made renting in Vancouver considerably easier particularly in the entry level price range so I'm fine with it either way.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #667
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
To be fair, he isn't directly defending Qanon. He is using the the Qanon narraitve to create spin to display fake outrage to generate real outrage among his supporters about government overreach in an Biden administration.

It sounds like a really minor difference and perhaps it is, but it is a difference, and it matters.
Crystal clear.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #668
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I don't know for sure this isn't true, although I would have to drive at least 6 hours from Vancouver to find a cottage affordable enough that anyone that bought it might be so 'poor' that would worry about the tax, but even so the tax has brought down and made renting in Vancouver considerably easier particularly in the entry level price range so I'm fine with it either way.
I think Vancouver also has a separate municipal vacancy tax layered on top of the provincial spec tax but I may be mistaken.

In my view the better approach would have been to stop people flipping condos like stocks by imposing some sort of declining capital gains tax tied to years of ownership.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #669
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't even know a lot about Qanon conspiracies and don't care to dive down that rabbit hole of madness.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:02 PM   #670
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Lindell has been permanently suspended from Twitter.

If you don't know who that is then I am incredibly jealous of your existence.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:14 PM   #671
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

Not surprising, he was a pain in the neck. He only posted fluff with little support. There was no cool side, only foam at the mouth rhetoric which should leave our memory soon. I’ll have the best night sleep of my life tonight!.... pillow.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:25 PM   #672
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:33 PM   #673
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don’t know how this pillow guy is even rich and influential in the first place. They’re just pillows. Is there was some wealthy tycoon behind bedsheets and duvet covers too?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 11:42 PM   #674
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

And his business is collapsing as stores are refusing to sell his product's. He's losing a massive pillow fight becausenifbhis deranged thinking
Old 01-26-2021, 12:58 AM   #675
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No clue who that is
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 01:38 AM   #676
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
No clue who that is
Old 01-26-2021, 06:30 AM   #677
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Crystal clear.
Ya I thought about how convoluted it was when I was typing it, but I could not think of a clearer way of expressing my view!

I will 'hold your hand' through it in case I confused you:

Basically, Tucker isn't supporting Qanon, but using the attacks on Qanon to his advantage. He is acting with 'fake out rage' over the "mainstream media's' messaging about Qanon to spin a narrative that the mainstream media wants the Government to control your thoughts.

He isn't really outraged over this, he is simply trying to trick his audience into thinking he is.

If he succeeds in tricking his audience, he will have created real outrage within his viewer base.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #678
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't even know a lot about Qanon conspiracies and don't care to dive down that rabbit hole of madness.
I listened to a couple podcasts with Q fanatics and I think the whole thing can be explained pretty quickly. The early days of Q were pretty compelling, there was a clear link to trump and some of the info being dropped through Q was really interesting, but it quickly became a bloated mess and Q starting post stuff like "trust the process" and "Patriots in control" and it was impossible to pull anything useful or interesting out of Q drops. So either Q got railroaded by a more powerful group, or more likely, Trump was just really good at feeding conspiracy theorists and was able to garner fervent support built on a few crumbs of information being released.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #679
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I listened to a couple podcasts with Q fanatics and I think the whole thing can be explained pretty quickly. The early days of Q were pretty compelling, there was a clear link to trump and some of the info being dropped through Q was really interesting, but it quickly became a bloated mess and Q starting post stuff like "trust the process" and "Patriots in control" and it was impossible to pull anything useful or interesting out of Q drops. So either Q got railroaded by a more powerful group, or more likely, Trump was just really good at feeding conspiracy theorists and was able to garner fervent support built on a few crumbs of information being released.
Do you have examples of the compelling and interesting information? Hard not to notice the Q followers I've seen are uneducated morons. Can't imagine these types being dissatisfied with mainstream news based on a failure of MSM to accurately report. I mean, if they were, you'd think they'd find something with even higher standards, not lower. It seems more likely Q followers were looking for something that validated their preconceived ideas and biases.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 08:28 AM   #680
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I listened to a couple podcasts with Q fanatics and I think the whole thing can be explained pretty quickly.
It was that 400 pound guy in his mother's basement that Trump referenced in his debate with Clinton. Someone wanted to have some fun with mindless idiots and it took off, developing a life of its own.

Quote:
The early days of Q were pretty compelling, there was a clear link to trump and some of the info being dropped through Q was really interesting,
Oh, do tell. What were the compelling and interesting bits of information Q shared that weren't immediately dismissed because of critical thinking and common sense?

Quote:
but it quickly became a bloated mess and Q starting post stuff like "trust the process" and "Patriots in control" and it was impossible to pull anything useful or interesting out of Q drops.
Q is Brad Treliving???

Quote:
So either Q got railroaded by a more powerful group, or more likely, Trump was just really good at feeding conspiracy theorists and was able to garner fervent support built on a few crumbs of information being released.
Or Q was a nobody who didn't have inside information and just threw #### against the wall hoping something would stick. He was taking advantage of the ignorant and uneducated to feed their delusions of a boogeyman coming to get them. Q is the Dwayne Kessel (Eklund of hockey rumors) of the RW nut-o-sphere.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 01-26-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: