Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2021, 10:24 AM   #481
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Sorry, where does anyone suggest its value wouldn't be affected there? Those are actual responses to it being affected.

Twitter price took a hit and it has since started to rise again... which is exactly what those posters suggested, and it is entirely likely it continues over the following months.

What point are you making? That it dropped in the first place? Like... something that was news a week ago and the posts you're quoting are literally responding to? Hot take.
Those quotes are directly implying the price is low so buy now, or even more directly, its already recovered. It hasn't started to rise again, the price is below from when those poster noted.

On a thread about Twitter removing Trump, I posted an update two weeks later about the stock price.

A "hot take" beyond this isn't needed- it fits within the scope of the thread, on a social media forum.

If its not interesting or relevant to you, fine, move on.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:26 AM   #482
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Weird to take the time to insert the quote shortcuts but remove the actual posts and poster. Ah well. I’m with “mull”, all the people saying Twitter would be fine are wrong! It’ll be a Penny stock by month end.
I removed the names because of lazyness, I had one window open and copied the quotes over.
I never said or implied it would be a penny stock, I think it will loose value.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:46 AM   #483
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Those quotes are directly implying the price is low so buy now, or even more directly, its already recovered. It hasn't started to rise again, the price is below from when those poster noted.

On a thread about Twitter removing Trump, I posted an update two weeks later about the stock price.

A "hot take" beyond this isn't needed- it fits within the scope of the thread, on a social media forum.

If its not interesting or relevant to you, fine, move on.
Yeah, when the price drops on a major tech stock due to a random event, it's probably a good idea to buy, because the chances are it will recover. Literally all of them take dips over hours and days. Elon Musk kicked the stock price of Tesla in the teeth with one tweet, which would have been a phenomenal time to buy, since the price has risen about 500% since then. But sure, after 12 days you got it figured out.

Again, what are you even arguing? You're posting quotes about people reacting to the price being affected after saying people said the price wouldn't be affected. These aren't the same thing.

You showing that you don't understand stock prices is not that interesting. Nobody said it would go unaffected, multiple people said it would be a good time to buy... because it probably was and still is....

Your post can be justified or not by its content, not because you tell us it's on a social media forum. We know where we are.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #484
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

...yeah, Pepsi picked up what I was putting down. My point wasn't actually to go make a financial bet on it, but that someone who makes that bet based on the assertion that the stock is now trending downward because of a whopping 12 days of price action after a random event is going to have a bad time.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #485
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Lol, twitter will be a penny stock.

That's pretty hilarious.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #486
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Wow, the NYT have published all of Trump's Twitter insults since 2015. It's interesting browsing. There's a lot!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...sult-list.html
What a strange thing. I sorted it chronologically and started with the oldest ones. It's just non-stop complaining about how stupid everyone else is, and how unfairly he's being treated. I gave up around February 2016 because he just keeps repeating the same insults. I don't really know why he hated Macy's so much back then, but weekly he was dumping on them.

Whiny loser.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #487
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Hah, my guess is that Macy's has a piece of real estate he's coveted (that flagship store in NYC where the parade is held? It's truly amazing to visit) and told him to pound sand.

And that probably happened in 1992 and he's still salty, as his grudge holding skills are well documented.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #488
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Macy's stopped carrying his (or Ivanka's) signature clothing line somewhere around that time because of the everything.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #489
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darockwilder View Post
What a strange thing. I sorted it chronologically and started with the oldest ones. It's just non-stop complaining about how stupid everyone else is, and how unfairly he's being treated. I gave up around February 2016 because he just keeps repeating the same insults. I don't really know why he hated Macy's so much back then, but weekly he was dumping on them.

Whiny loser.
Isn't it weird how when non-Republicans raise legitimate grievances they would be considered "whining snowflakes", but when Trump whines like a spoiled child they would rush over to his defense like a helicopter parent.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 01-21-2021 at 02:01 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #490
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Remember when posters here said banning trump won't impact Twitters value?

I remember reading that and thinking, how in the world could someone think that, given the advertising and users Trump gave Twitter

Well...
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/twitter-...-500-1.1551743
Where to start...

The fact that Trump had millions of followers is irrelevant, unless those followers actually leave twitter. Certainly, some will. But for how long? Will they stay away? Because if they come back - and they most assuredly will, IMO - and the stock is down because of their numbers, then it is nothing but a buying opportunity.

Second, stock prices are volatile. I see nothing on the charts posted that suggests the stock is hurting. It looks like a stock that had a nice run of more than 100% since Covid hit (from mid-twenties to about $55) and is seeing a bit of a correction from that. Can we attribute that correction to Trump? Maybe, but we can't say for sure.

Most importantly, there is a small tidbit of information in that article that you quoted that is FAR more likely to be the reason that it has had a bit of a correction: "and that the move could “further push Congress to move ahead with its anti-monopoly activities.”

Now that is something that will impact the stock price!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #491
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never got the point of Twitter really, other than allowing idiot sports stars and actors to eff their careers up, it has always struck me as an app/idea/company with a built in limited lifespan
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 02:49 PM   #492
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #493
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I never got the point of Twitter really, other than allowing idiot sports stars and actors to eff their careers up, it has always struck me as an app/idea/company with a built in limited lifespan
It's great for breaking news and updates. It's critical on Trade Deadline Day.

Use it for news and follow a few novelty accounts (Super 70s Sports, Thoughts of a Dog, etc.) and it's not so bad. I also follow a few comedians to keep informed on when they're touring...if that ever happens again.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:16 PM   #494
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, when the price drops on a major tech stock due to a random event, it's probably a good idea to buy, because the chances are it will recover. Literally all of them take dips over hours and days. Elon Musk kicked the stock price of Tesla in the teeth with one tweet, which would have been a phenomenal time to buy, since the price has risen about 500% since then. But sure, after 12 days you got it figured out.

Again, what are you even arguing? You're posting quotes about people reacting to the price being affected after saying people said the price wouldn't be affected. These aren't the same thing.

You showing that you don't understand stock prices is not that interesting. Nobody said it would go unaffected, multiple people said it would be a good time to buy... because it probably was and still is....

Your post can be justified or not by its content, not because you tell us it's on a social media forum. We know where we are.
I wasn't aware I was arguing anything.
I posted a bit of info, and you keep responding.

This thread is about Trump and Twitter, I posted an update about... Trumps impact on Twitter.

Correlation without causation? Who the heck knows but I think its causation.

I also said people here said (or perhaps to be perfectly accurate implied) it would rebound quickly or immediately, and that appears to be wrong.

That is all.

I see no "argument" and I don't know why you are in such a fuss.

It is odd to me.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:09 PM   #495
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't aware I was arguing anything.
I posted a bit of info, and you keep responding.

This thread is about Trump and Twitter, I posted an update about... Trumps impact on Twitter.

Correlation without causation? Who the heck knows but I think its causation.

I also said people here said (or perhaps to be perfectly accurate implied) it would rebound quickly or immediately, and that appears to be wrong.

That is all.

I see no "argument" and I don't know why you are in such a fuss.

It is odd to me.
Nobody is in a fuss my guy. You just keep suggesting people said things they didn't, which is weird, and people are pointing out that your conclusions don't really jive with the nature of the stock market, especially with tech. People aren't taking issue with "the info," just pointing out your comments around "the info" don't line up with reality.

You post things, people respond, you respond, get more responses. This is called a conversation. Kind of how it works. Why? I don't know, human history up to this point in time, I guess.

Keep giving a play by play of what you posted, who is responding, and what the thread is about, though. There's like 12 posts to go through and the thread title is the thing you have to click to enter it, easy to miss. Nice to get a recap
Old 01-21-2021, 04:15 PM   #496
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody is in a fuss my guy. You just keep suggesting people said things they didn't, which is weird, and people are pointing out that your conclusions don't really jive with the nature of the stock market, especially with tech. People aren't taking issue with "the info," just pointing out your comments around "the info" don't line up with reality.

You post things, people respond, you respond, get more responses. This is called a conversation. Kind of how it works. Why? I don't know, human history up to this point in time, I guess.

Keep giving a play by play of what you posted, who is responding, and what the thread is about, though. There's like 12 posts to go through and the thread title is the thing you have to click to enter it, easy to miss. Nice to get a recap
I don't agree the quotes don't jive with the conclusions I posted and actually can't see your perspective on this, despite trying.

I never questioned why people are responding to me, please don't put implications in my mouth. I was responding to your comment about arguing, that's all.

I also don't' think I was giving a "play by play" of what I posted, only summarizing the facts of why I posted it, as you kept changing my intent, so.. one has to on-going go back to the original statement- which I did.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:34 PM   #497
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I don't agree the quotes don't jive with the conclusions I posted and actually can't see your perspective on this, despite trying.

I never questioned why people are responding to me, please don't put implications in my mouth. I was responding to your comment about arguing, that's all.

I also don't' think I was giving a "play by play" of what I posted, only summarizing the facts of why I posted it, as you kept changing my intent, so.. one has to on-going go back to the original statement- which I did.
lol yeah it would be super weird to decide what another poster was implying or change their intent to fit your point. Definitely really, really weird. You're right.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Buy some twitter stocks while you're at it.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:39 PM   #498
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
lol yeah it would be super weird to decide what another poster was implying or change their intent to fit your point. Definitely really, really weird. You're right.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Buy some twitter stocks while you're at it.
Are you implying I am miss quoting posters intent by saying they felt twitters fall was extremely short term and already over, when one of the quotes was:

"too late already starting its recovery"

I think buying twitter right now is crazy, but hey, I don't trade stocks for a career so easily could be wrong.

You know the best part? In a month, 2, or 6 months, we will know the answer, twitter will be up or down. If its roaring high, whoppie for those who own it, I have been wrong about things in my life that mattered a whole lot more than this!
Old 01-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #499
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems like a potentially good development:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-...ation-n1255552

Twitter has been working toward a sort of community-driven fact-checking system called Birdwatch, similar to Wikipedia. I think it's potentially more effective than internal fact-checking, which is always going to have political and revenue pressures pulling it.

It sounds like they're aware of, and working to prevent the sorts of manipulation attacks that this sort of approach is subject to.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote