Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #261
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I just learned that a tallboy is the 24oz can. I've never actually used the phrase but thought it referred to the 650ml bottles.

So what are the 650ml bottles called?
Those are called bombers.

Size for beer small to big

A can , tallboy can, Bomber, Beer Bullit also called a crowler/holwer then Growler.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #262
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

More and more recently I've been 'discovering' family connections between celebrities that I didn't know existed and it pleasantly blows my mind.

When Diana Rigg died, her obituaries mentioned her daughter being actress Rachael Stirling. I like Stirling from The Detectorists and Rigg even played her mother on there. I had no idea.

Last month I found out that John Mortimer (well known barrister and prolific writer, creator of the Rumpole series), an author I admire was the father of Emily Mortimer, an actress I also like.

Just now I found out that Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLaine are brother and sister. Not even half or step siblings, but actual full siblings. I'm a bit of a cinephile, read about and watch classic movies and its blowing my mind that I never came across that tidbit in my entire life until just now.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #263
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
According to Davidovits’ theory, the blocks were not quarried and transported to Giza but rather cast in place in wooden molds. This would account for the extreme precision of the pyramid’s construction, as the initial liquid state of the limestone concrete would have made the blocks self-levelling and allowed for extremely thin seams between blocks. This technique was also ideal for use on the Giza plateau, which has abundant supplies of soft, crumbly limestone otherwise unsuited to large-scale construction.

In his laboratory, Davidovits succeeded in creating a reconstituted limestone concrete using only four ingredients readily available to the ancient Egyptians: water, crushed limestone, quicklime, and natron, a mixture of salt and sodium bicarbonate found on the banks of the Nile and widely used in mummification. When Davidovits sent out samples of his lab-made concrete for blind analysis along with pieces of actual pyramid stone, every laboratory reported that the two samples were identical in composition. The result appeared definitive: Davidovits had finally cracked the age-old riddle of how the pyramids were built. In 1988 he published his results in a book titled The Built the Pyramids.

Yet despite the chemical evidence backing Davidovits’ theory, it immediately attracted overwhelming scorn and hostility from mainstream egyptologists. Among Davidovits’ greatest critics is Zahi Hawass, former Egyptian Minister of State for Antiquities Affairs, who of the theory stated:

“It’s highly stupid. The pyramids are made from solid blocks of quarried limestone. To suggest otherwise is idiotic and insulting.”

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ient-concrete/

Love the well thought out rebuttal.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #264
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently some concussions or TBIs can lead to pituitary gland dysfunction where a number of different hormones become deficient - and it can take months to years manifest
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:45 PM   #265
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Apparently some concussions or TBIs can lead to pituitary gland dysfunction where a number of different hormones become deficient - and it can take months to years manifest
Game-changing saliva test could rapidly diagnose concussions for athletes

Biological markers for concussion found in saliva have the potential to be the basis of a new fast test

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/apr-...etes-1.5971244

Quote:
In the study, the concentration of these molecules in saliva increased 1000 times within two to three minutes in players identified as having a concussion. The concentration were elevated in some cases for hours, or even days.

Belli identified a panel of 14 saliva biomarkers present in concussed players. They applied the test to the entire 2018-19 season with 94 percent accuracy in concussion detection.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2021, 03:24 PM   #266
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Game-changing saliva test could rapidly diagnose concussions for athletes

Biological markers for concussion found in saliva have the potential to be the basis of a new fast test

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/apr-...etes-1.5971244
This is excellent.

I suffered, well probably too many concussions in my life.

All my boy wants to play is physical sport, rugby, lacrosse, hockey, wrestling and recently he told me he wants to box. It worries me.

This would make me feel better, but I am pushing back on boxing, I mean punches to the head?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 07:48 PM   #267
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You should lubricate the springs on your overhead door. Apparently a product like fluid film works good for that.
If you don’t, they will bind over time, they excessive wear will cause them to break.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #268
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
You should lubricate the springs on your overhead door. Apparently a product like fluid film works good for that.
If you don’t, they will bind over time, they excessive wear will cause them to break.
I don't have fluid film. Unless... is that a fancy name for WD-40?
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #269
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I don't have fluid film. Unless... is that a fancy name for WD-40?
No. I M no expert, but was told not to use wd40. Fluid film is an oily substance that you can buy in a spray can (same spray can as wd40).

Edit.
Google fluid film. I am on my phone and not smart enough to embed it here.

Last edited by Doctorfever; 04-07-2021 at 08:39 PM.
Doctorfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:44 PM   #270
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
No. I M no expert, but was told not to use wd40. Fluid film is an oily substance that you can buy in a spray can (same spray can as wd40).

Edit.
Google fluid film. I am on my phone and not smart enough to embed it here.
You reminded me of Kub Kars. I had no clue how to do these when my boys first got into them. I was told by someone to grease the wheels. I used WD-40. Slowest. car. of. the. night.

One of them told me that I should have used sewing machine oil. So I bought some and cleaned up the wheels and used sewing machine oil for the regional meetup a couple weeks later. He took 3rd in the region. One of the people who beat him was my friend's son who also used my sewing machine oil.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 09:10 PM   #271
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

My cooking and guitar playing have both improved immensely in the past year.

Pre-COVID I was competent, but unambitious in the kitchen. I’d try new things once in a while but generally would shy away from making things from scratch that I hadn’t tried before, and reserve baking for once or twice a year.

Since COVID hit I’ve become a weekly baker, and I’m trying new recipes almost weekly. Tonight I made butter chicken from scratch for the first time ever, a week ago my wife and I made pasta dough for the first time. Sunday afternoon I made a pot of chicken soup just from whatever we had in the kitchen. So it’s been nice to really hone my skills in the kitchen.

As much as I do miss eating out, it's helped that I've been able to dump some of our date night money into higher quality ingredients to have on hand.

Spoiler for tasty food pics:
Spoiler!

And we’ll guitar… it’s a healthy distraction from doom scrolling.

Last edited by Regular_John; 04-07-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 09:36 PM   #272
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That Walt Anderson the founder of White Castle was the father of the modern American Hamburger. Originally the hamburger was basically a meatball in between two slices of white bread.

Anderson invented the modern Hamburger when he lost his temper at an impatient customer and squashed one of his meatballs on the cooker inventing the flat patty which cooked faster and more thoroughly. He then married it with a dinner roll because it was cheaper then two slices of bread.

White Castle was McDonald's before McDonalds.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 09:44 PM   #273
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This is excellent.

All my boy wants to play is physical sport, rugby, lacrosse, hockey, wrestling and recently he told me he wants to box. It worries me.

This would make me feel better, but I am pushing back on boxing, I mean punches to the head?

Same, every sport has the element of injuries and head injuries. But boxing just seems to ask for concussions, especially as kids get older and stronger.

I tell everyone to really take an interest in their coaches no matter what the sport. Are they trained on concussion awareness and safety, do they teach contact the right way? I mean with football we have to take safe contact, making headway, and ethical decision making before we can ever take the field. I'm sure its the same now in Hockey and Rugby as well, but its always a good question to ask when you're picking your kids team.

But boxing? As much as I used to love it, and I did box for a while (two concussions) its just got too many possibilities of going wrong.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #274
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Same, every sport has the element of injuries and head injuries. But boxing just seems to ask for concussions, especially as kids get older and stronger.

I tell everyone to really take an interest in their coaches no matter what the sport. Are they trained on concussion awareness and safety, do they teach contact the right way? I mean with football we have to take safe contact, making headway, and ethical decision making before we can ever take the field. I'm sure its the same now in Hockey and Rugby as well, but its always a good question to ask when you're picking your kids team.

But boxing? As much as I used to love it, and I did box for a while (two concussions) its just got too many possibilities of going wrong.
Yeah. There are some things that you can modify to make safe (or at least safer) from a head injury perspective.

I dont think getting punched repeatedly in the head is on that list.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #275
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I just found out that CP has a wiki page and so finally found out where Fata comes from (I know nothing about hockey)
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #276
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I just found out that CP has a wiki page and so finally found out where Fata comes from (I know nothing about hockey)
WTF? Hahahaha

:Popular and site-favorite user "TheScorpion" continues to establish his credentials of becoming a journalist as his contributions towards the site have increased as his exposure within the hockey media world."
Titan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:58 PM   #277
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
WTF? Hahahaha

:Popular and site-favorite user "TheScorpion" continues to establish his credentials of becoming a journalist as his contributions towards the site have increased as his exposure within the hockey media world."
That must be recent I’ve never seen that before on that page
Old 04-08-2021, 10:40 PM   #278
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This is excellent.

Same here. Played hockey right up to 18 and football at university. I've had several concussions that you'd be taking time off with what's known today. Back then, right back on the field. I'm convinced it has led to psychological changes in me as an adult. I have daughters that don't play contact sports and I'm happy for that. I've seen my nephew suffer concussions in high level hockey and hope he doesn't suffer long term affects.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 10:59 PM   #279
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan2 View Post
WTF? Hahahaha

I think it's hilarious tbat Scorp gets a mention here with no sign of sureLoss. I wonder if sureLoss wrote it?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:44 AM   #280
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammer403 View Post
That must be recent I’ve never seen that before on that page
20th Mar according to the history. Actually if you compare random revisions in the history, there's been plenty of vandalism and things written about various posters.