Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #3581
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a driver, there are a few comments and/or questions I would like to add from my perspective:

I am more than willing to share the road with cyclists. If they want to take up a whole lane for themselves I am fine with that too (exceptions below) HOWEVER it is a two way street folks. If you expect me to treat you as another vehicle then you need to behave like one ALL THE TIME. You can't pick and choose which rules to obey and which are optional. This morning for example, cyclist in the curb lane. No problem, I can get past him simply enough but when I pull up to a red light the guy proceeds to squeeze me on the right, go through the red light and carry on so now I get to pass him again. Repeat this every time we come to a red light. You can't have it both ways, you are a vehicle or you are not.

Secondly a question: what is the logic or reasoning on insisting on riding on the road when a bike path is available literally right beside that road? There are two places on my commute where this happens and most cyclists actually go out of their way to ride on the road when a path exists. I don't get it. One in particular really puzzles me. It is a major construction zone with narrow lanes and is very busy yet I pass this one guys every morning riding along at 20km/h in the right hand lane. Nobody can pass him so he is holding up large volumes of vehicles. And there is a pathway running right beside the road. I know paths are not always handy but when they are why on earth would a cyclist choose to use the road? This is an honest question.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #3582
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Lubicon, the first guy is an @ss. No one should be going though a red light.

The path vs road thing is tough. I try to be as considerate to drivers as possible. I know I get anxious when I'm passing a cyclist in my car. I'm sure it's worse for some non-cyclist drivers. They want to give lots of space but have cars on the other side to worry about too.

In the construction zone situation I would definitely take the path. However, there are many spots along my route where I could take a path instead of the road. As I've become more comfortable riding with cars I've stayed on the road more. The reason is that you're allowed to go faster on the road than paths. There's a 20km/h limit on paths. I don't know any cyclist that obeys this all the time but if the path is busier I'll opt for the road instead of trying to pass people on the path. I also find drivers are more confused (might not be the right term) by cyclists on paths when they have to go from path to road to path. Things like intersections. Either they don't see us because we're going faster than pedestrians but I've found most of salty interactions with drivers are a result of intersections I have to go through because the pathway goes through it.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #3583
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Lubicon, the first guy is an @ss. No one should be going though a red light.

The path vs road thing is tough. I try to be as considerate to drivers as possible. I know I get anxious when I'm passing a cyclist in my car. I'm sure it's worse for some non-cyclist drivers. They want to give lots of space but have cars on the other side to worry about too.

In the construction zone situation I would definitely take the path. However, there are many spots along my route where I could take a path instead of the road. As I've become more comfortable riding with cars I've stayed on the road more. The reason is that you're allowed to go faster on the road than paths. There's a 20km/h limit on paths. I don't know any cyclist that obeys this all the time but if the path is busier I'll opt for the road instead of trying to pass people on the path. I also find drivers are more confused (might not be the right term) by cyclists on paths when they have to go from path to road to path. Things like intersections. Either they don't see us because we're going faster than pedestrians but I've found most of salty interactions with drivers are a result of intersections I have to go through because the pathway goes through it.
Fair enough, and entirely logical. I'd do the same I suppose.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #3584
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Did they stop? Hopefully you heal fast.
I don't think they were aware I was there or I went down. Looked like an old lady from the quick peek I had. That being said - a woman in the car behind us did pull over to see if I was ok which was very nice of her.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #3585
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd also like to add some of the paths are in rough shape (ie bumpy and pitted) so going your regular speed is tough (> 20km/hr) adding in pedestrians only makes it harder.

As for red lights if there is any appreciable amount of traffic on a road no cyclist should be running red lights (or stop signs). However i will admit to cruising through red lights and stop signs when there are no cars on the road (while also slowing down and making sure the intersection is safe - I'm not advocating blasting through intersections willy nilly).
Old 08-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #3586
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
A
I am more than willing to share the road with cyclists. If they want to take up a whole lane for themselves I am fine with that too (exceptions below) HOWEVER it is a two way street folks. If you expect me to treat you as another vehicle then you need to behave like one ALL THE TIME. You can't pick and choose which rules to obey and which are optional. This morning for example, cyclist in the curb lane. No problem, I can get past him simply enough but when I pull up to a red light the guy proceeds to squeeze me on the right, go through the red light and carry on so now I get to pass him again. Repeat this every time we come to a red light. You can't have it both ways, you are a vehicle or you are not.
I dislike cyclists running red lights as much as anyone. I especially dislike it when I am cycling, and am waiting for the light. A cyclist will go through it, and yet will be slower than I am. I'll have to go around him once the light turns green. The problem with your statement, is that you expect a bike to obey the laws of the road all the time. You are saying there isn't a situation where they can break the law, but here's the thing. Drivers don't follow the laws all the time either. They run red lights, blast through stop signs, don't follow yield/merge rules properly, speed, etc. There are many threads on this site with posts about terrible drivers, and ones breaking the law. You can't expect all cyclists to obey every law, when as drivers, you don't follow them all the time either.

When talking with drivers, they often point out how many cyclists they see breaking the law, compared to cyclists they see obeying the law. My theory, based only on my own thinking, is it's based on the route they choose. There are thousands of cyclists every day that you don't see as a driver. They are the ones on bike paths, and road designated as bike lanes. For the most part they are more cautious, and obey the rules of the road more. They take these paths because they are safer, and there are less/no cars on them. Drivers don't see them. Drivers do see the ones who ride the main roads with the automobiles. They, in general, are more aggressive, have less fear, and care less about whether the light is red. Since these are the most visible cyclists to drivers, then drivers generalize and think all cyclists are like this. If all you see are cyclists behaving like that, then I don't fault you for thinking that the rest of them are the same.

The key link to all this, is people. It's not cyclists, drivers, or pedestrian groups that are the problem. It's that people are making these decisions. The mode of transportation is not the problem.

Quote:
Secondly a question: what is the logic or reasoning on insisting on riding on the road when a bike path is available literally right beside that road? There are two places on my commute where this happens and most cyclists actually go out of their way to ride on the road when a path exists. I don't get it. One in particular really puzzles me. It is a major construction zone with narrow lanes and is very busy yet I pass this one guys every morning riding along at 20km/h in the right hand lane. Nobody can pass him so he is holding up large volumes of vehicles. And there is a pathway running right beside the road. I know paths are not always handy but when they are why on earth would a cyclist choose to use the road? This is an honest question.
As a cyclist, I ride on roads/paths that are dedicated for cyclists whenever possible. My daily commute is about 2 kms longer each way (not a big distance), so that I can go on designated bike routes and car free lanes. I always wear my helmet, stop at red lights/stop signs, and use hand signals before turning. There are times when I'm not on a cycle path, and the reasons vary. Sometimes they aren't available where I'm going. Other times they are cycle/pedestrian/rollerblader shared paths (e.g. Seawall in Vancouver), and are extremely dangerous to cyclists. Sometimes I'm in a hurry, and need a more direct route. The number one reason for me though, is I won't go on a poorly designed cycle route. There is one place on my commute where it's a death sentence to ride on the barricaded cycle path, because there are cars turning right at several spots that don't see you, and cars coming out the other way that put the nose of their car in the path. I ride on the main road for this, as I am allowed. I never ride on sidewalks. That's illegal. There are a few articles I've read on why cyclists choose to ride on the road.

One thing though, is it is wrong for cyclists to go as far to the right as possible when riding on the road. This is how you get clipped. When you give that much room, cars will pass you more aggressively. They think there is more room, so they don't pay attention and will go faster. I'm not saying a cyclist should bike in the middle of the lane, especially if there is only one lane, but somewhere between the two extremes is correct. If a cyclist is going down a road where there are cars parked intermittently, they should not weave out of traffic when there is a break in the parked cars. Just stay in the lane, and obey all laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point

Last edited by squiggs96; 08-02-2016 at 11:04 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #3587
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
As for red lights if there is any appreciable amount of traffic on a road no cyclist should be running red lights (or stop signs). However i will admit to cruising through red lights and stop signs when there are no cars on the road (while also slowing down and making sure the intersection is safe - I'm not advocating blasting through intersections willy nilly).
When I first heard of the Idaho roll through stop signs, I was against it. I thought cyclists would abuse it, and drivers and cyclists would have even more disdain for each other. After biking more and more, I'm in favour of trying it out. I think it would work. Until then I'll still stop when I'm supposed to, but if the law changes, I can see the benefits.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #3588
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
If a cyclist is going down a road where there are cars parked intermittently, they should not weave out of traffic when there is a break in the parked cars. Just stay in the lane, and obey all laws.
Some great stuff in there but this is HUGE. Had to educate my wife on this. Hold your line. If you're in and out where cars park, they can't see you. Be predictable.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #3589
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
When I first heard of the Idaho roll through stop signs, I was against it. I thought cyclists would abuse it, and drivers and cyclists would have even more disdain for each other. After biking more and more, I'm in favour of trying it out. I think it would work. Until then I'll still stop when I'm supposed to, but if the law changes, I can see the benefits.
Well considering a good % of cyclists already do this I'm with you and think it would help.

On a side note, I dont think I've ever blown through so many stop signs or went as fast on the pathways as I did on Saturday trying to make it home before the hailstorm hit. Thank goodness I did because I missed golf ball sized hail hitting my head by about 2 minutes
Old 08-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #3590
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
Well considering a good % of cyclists already do this I'm with you and think it would help.

On a side note, I dont think I've ever blown through so many stop signs or went as fast on the pathways as I did on Saturday trying to make it home before the hailstorm hit. Thank goodness I did because I missed golf ball sized hail hitting my head by about 2 minutes
If you yelled STTTTRRAAAAAVVVVAAAAAA while doing it, I'll allow it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #3591
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If you yelled STTTTRRAAAAAVVVVAAAAAA while doing it, I'll allow it.
I did yell something along those lines repeatedly, all though it had more C's, F's, K's and U's if i recall correctly. Cant remember exactly what it was....
Old 08-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #3592
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dislike cyclists running red lights as much as anyone. I especially dislike it when I am cycling, and am waiting for the light. A cyclist will go through it, and yet will be slower than I am. I'll have to go around him once the light turns green. The problem with your statement, is that you expect a bike to obey the laws of the road all the time. You are saying there isn't a situation where they can break the law, but here's the thing. Drivers don't follow the laws all the time either. They run red lights, blast through stop signs, don't follow yield/merge rules properly, speed, etc. There are many threads on this site with posts about terrible drivers, and ones breaking the law. You can't expect all cyclists to obey every law, when as drivers, you don't follow them all the time either.

When talking with drivers, they often point out how many cyclists they see breaking the law, compared to cyclists they see obeying the law. My theory, based only on my own thinking, is it's based on the route they choose. There are thousands of cyclists every day that you don't see as a driver. They are the ones on bike paths, and road designated as bike lanes. For the most part they are more cautious, and obey the rules of the road more. They take these paths because they are safer, and there are less/no cars on them. Drivers don't see them. Drivers do see the ones who ride the main roads with the automobiles. They, in general, are more aggressive, have less fear, and care less about whether the light is red. Since these are the most visible cyclists to drivers, then drivers generalize and think all cyclists are like this. If all you see are cyclists behaving like that, then I don't fault you for thinking that the rest of them are the same.

The key link to all this, is people. It's not cyclists, drivers, or pedestrian groups that are the problem. It's that people are making these decisions. The mode of transportation is not the problem.

That wasn't my intention. My point was cyclists (some) pick and choose which rules they will obey yet are often the sames ones who demand to be treated equally on the road. They can't have it both ways.

I cannot agree more with your second point, it is the people - both in cars and on bikes - who are the ones making the poor decisions. There are certainly many many vehicle drivers who are equally poor at operating.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #3593
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
As a driver, there are a few comments and/or questions I would like to add from my perspective:

Literally have never heard these complaints before.

1. Most vehicles only give cyclists a foot or two when passing, which is fine but don't be upset when cyclists re-pass at a red light.

2. It probably wasnt worth it to hop the curb and then re-enter traffic 100-200 m later. Or the cyclist had a turn to make. Deerfoot is parallel to MacLeod so I guess all vehicles have to take Deerfoot by your logic.

Sorry you got held up a bit on your commute today, but next time go to the WRGMG thread.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #3594
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I don't think they were aware I was there or I went down. Looked like an old lady from the quick peek I had. That being said - a woman in the car behind us did pull over to see if I was ok which was very nice of her.
Wait... so a car caused you to OTB crash and you didn't chase the car holding your seatpost-saddle hatchet and go legend of Zelda on her hood?

That sucks. Heal fast.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #3595
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Wait... so a car caused you to OTB crash and you didn't chase the car holding your seatpost-saddle hatchet and go legend of Zelda on her hood?

That sucks. Heal fast.
HAHA - I wish I had thought of that. I still had one foot clipped in when I landed - I'm sure it wasn't a pretty site. LOL.

Some road rash and a couple bruises - lucky in the grand scheme of things.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #3596
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

This probably should be in the gear grinding thread, getting 5 blocks from home and it starts to pour. Eff you, mother nature.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #3597
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noticed something on two rides with Strava this week:

https://www.strava.com/activities/664789946

https://www.strava.com/activities/662535019

For both of these rides I was relatively close to another cyclist for a portion of it, upon finishing the ride it shows my ride with them listed too. I don't follow either of them on the app. Possibly a new feature to let you expand your following/followers list?
Old 08-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #3598
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dont have the app here. Is that Fly-by your pointing out?
Old 08-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #3599
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what fly-by is, if it's a premium thing I'm not on that. When you complete the ride and upload it it is showing that I did the ride with "one other", click for details and it lists the rider that was on part of my route too.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #3600
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Not sure what fly-by is, if it's a premium thing I'm not on that. When you complete the ride and upload it it is showing that I did the ride with "one other", click for details and it lists the rider that was on part of my route too.
Its not a Premium feature, its part of the Fly-By Labs. Basically it detects if you ride near another rider for a certain % of the time. If its a big enough % and you proximity is close enough it will think you were riding together.

Flyby Labs is interesting if you are actually with a friend and you can see how far behind or ahead they were along the course of the ride.
Closed Thread