Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2020, 12:58 AM   #3661
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Can anyone confirm if it's Oct 1 or Oct 31 that the section from 69th st SW to 130th st SWneeds to be open?
I have heard October 1st from someone working on the project.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:58 AM   #3662
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
The map in this post remains accurate, as of now.
Any idea why they closed 37th now? I get that they’re closing it, but it would’ve been nice to wait until there was reasonable access south from there.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #3663
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The map in this post remains accurate, as of now.
Damn. Really no help for me until Oct 2021.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #3664
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Any idea why they closed 37th now? I get that they’re closing it, but it would’ve been nice to wait until there was reasonable access south from there.
They need to rebuild the westbound lanes a bit further of where they currently sit. It would have been nice for there to be another access but Alberta Transportation would have approved this sequence and said its okay for no other access to be in place.

The only consolation is that I would be surprised if the pink section in the above map takes all the way till Oct 1, 2021 to open.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #3665
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Acey, so the 69st and Westhills Way interchange will be done and open this week, along with everything down to Fishcreek Blvd, uninterrupted?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #3666
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Acey, so the 69st and Westhills Way interchange will be done and open this week, along with everything down to Fishcreek Blvd, uninterrupted?
69/Discovery interchange might not be fully done and is not required. AT said there will be an announcement if everything down to Fish Creek will not be ready on time. Based on what I can see it will be within a week if not Thursday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 09:24 PM   #3667
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

By the way, that 53 st detour is rough. Hoping they can do some gravel work to smooth it out some.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:44 PM   #3668
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarrell View Post
By the way, that 53 st detour is rough. Hoping they can do some gravel work to smooth it out some.
Rough and dusty. Don't bother washing your car if you have to use it. I'm surprised they didn't re-grade and oil it to make it more "driveable" before shutting down 37th.
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:03 AM   #3669
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

So here's the deal with that gongshow of a barrier on EB Glenmore between Sarcee and 37 St from an online information session held last week:

Quote:
In the initial draft of the contract, a permanent barrier was intended to be installed there on Glenmore to separate [the traffic]. We constructed that barrier per plan, and after it was constructed, we looked at it from a stakeholder access perspective and we were concerned that it restricted access to 37 St for a number of users. So we went back to the drawing board and we looked at changing some of the road geometry and speeds to allow for a safe weave movement, so that's the reason for the change - we are still in the middle of that change but we expect it to be implemented before the end of this week.
I had previously said such a drastic change on a billion dollar project could not possibly be occurring in the final week of a 4 year construction period, but I was wrong. Yeah you can lower speed limits through there and I guess it fixes it. But good God how do you make that decision in the last minute after pouring 800 meters of constant slope barrier and nuking it days later.

So tl;dr, you will be able to access 37 St from southbound Sarcee after KGL decides how low the final speed limit will be to allow that and paints lines accordingly.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #3670
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So here's the deal with that gongshow of a barrier on EB Glenmore between Sarcee and 37 St from an online information session held last week:

I had previously said such a drastic change on a billion dollar project could not possibly be occurring in the final week of a 4 year construction period, but I was wrong. Yeah you can lower speed limits through there and I guess it fixes it. But good God how do you make that decision in the last minute after pouring 800 meters of constant slope barrier and nuking it days later.

So tl;dr, you will be able to access 37 St from southbound Sarcee after KGL decides how low the final speed limit will be to allow that and paints lines accordingly.
I want to thank your post for providing the update and correcting the previous claim, but... but, wow. What were they thinking?

The WHOLE design of this section of road, essentially from Richmond Rd in the north, to 69th Street to the west was designed around the idea that there would be no access to 37th and now... this? "we're going to go through years of design, engineering and construction with a specific limitation built in to the design of the road, pour 800m of concrete and then take a look and go 'nah'... Yep, that'll do it" And now, the solution to this is they'll "decide" how much to neuter the capacity of the road by arbitrarily lowering the speed limit to accommodate traffic flow that the road (that was years in the making and not even done yet) technically shouldn't accommodate. There are not enough 's
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #3671
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I want to thank your post for providing the update and correcting the previous claim, but... but, wow. What were they thinking?

The WHOLE design of this section of road, essentially from Richmond Rd in the north, to 69th Street to the west was designed around the idea that there would be no access to 37th and now... this? "we're going to go through years of design, engineering and construction with a specific limitation built in to the design of the road, pour 800m of concrete and then take a look and go 'nah'... Yep, that'll do it" And now, the solution to this is they'll "decide" how much to neuter the capacity of the road by arbitrarily lowering the speed limit to accommodate traffic flow that the road (that was years in the making and not even done yet) technically shouldn't accommodate. There are not enough 's
Someone with a lot of pull lives on 37th and lost their lid that they didn't have access? I know, cynical, but...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 08:00 AM   #3672
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's ####ed up. How is this going to make the weaving safe enough in such a short distance? Even with 60km/h speed, that's a lot of lanes to cross in a very short time.

This shouldn't be happening, and it should remain permanently closed off. SB commuters should be patient enough until the overpass over Tsuu'tina Trail was built for access to the reserve; that could also be an alternative access to 37 Street.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #3673
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s especially crazy when there are so many alternative routes available. If it were the only way to access Lakeview it would be fair enough, but this is silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #3674
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

How close are they to opening Fish Creek down to 22X? It looks like the roads are paved already and the overpass on 130th is done structurally. I would think there will be a lot of traffic cutting through Evergreen from the south to connect to it at Fish Creek to head north.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #3675
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm now dreading driving through Southbound Sarcee/Eastbound Glenmore and being stuck going 50 km/h along a road designed for 110 km/h because a couple of people are going to want to weave across 6 lanes of traffic. Brutal. I hope they gave CPS a nice parking pad for the photo radar trucks.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #3676
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Could this have been something requested by the TsunTina, for access to Grey Eagle, or is the access road from the West side ready to open?
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #3677
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Could this have been something requested by the TsunTina, for access to Grey Eagle, or is the access road from the West side ready to open?
That could possibly be it, but you figured that Tsuu'Tina would've requested that the overpass that I mentioned would be built from day one. But still could be the case, and realize that they need better access from the start.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #3678
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I imagine it has to be Nation related. No amount of Lakeview complaints would get such a drastic change made last minute. Imagine that the Nation agreed to the barrier and routing via Westhills Way, and on paper it seemed fine, but then when the concrete got poured they realized how many people were going to be confused and miss the turnoff/access to GE.

I still don't understand how you can have a scope change like that on the fly. Especially if this means reducing the speed on what should essentially be a freeway. Normally the speed limits are part of the RFP and design stage and are core to the whole development. Changing that last minute is kinda a big deal, no?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 09:32 AM   #3679
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they just spent millions on crowchild to eliminate cutting across lanes, but on this brand new freeway they are going to reduce the speed limit to allow it??
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #3680
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel a CPS/emergency services request is just as likely as Tsuu T'ina. The previously discussed optimal route, i.e. backtracking via Westhills Way, would not concern Tsuu T'ina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
How close are they to opening Fish Creek down to 22X? It looks like the roads are paved already and the overpass on 130th is done structurally. I would think there will be a lot of traffic cutting through Evergreen from the south to connect to it at Fish Creek to head north.
Fish Creek to 22X target date is October 1, 2021. They appear to be ahead of schedule but based on their most recent presentations it won't be open before summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So they just spent millions on crowchild to eliminate cutting across lanes, but on this brand new freeway they are going to reduce the speed limit to allow it??
Stoney/Tsuut'ina Trail speed limit unaffected. It's a short stretch of EB Glenmore, which is already only 80 kph, that will be reduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
I'm now dreading driving through Southbound Sarcee/Eastbound Glenmore and being stuck going 50 km/h along a road designed for 110 km/h because a couple of people are going to want to weave across 6 lanes of traffic. Brutal. I hope they gave CPS a nice parking pad for the photo radar trucks.
It is not designed for 110. The section we're talking about is Glenmore (the rest of which is 80 kph), and all traffic has just come off of either ramps or flyovers so is just getting up to speed.

Stoney Trail itself has a design speed of 110, posted at 100, and is unaffected by this change.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post: