Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #561
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

The primary reason they even have eco modes (and why they often default to it) is to pass emissions regulations.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #562
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like drive modes if there is a perceptible difference.

In my wife's SUV, for instance, the sport mode miraculously makes the whole thing seem to come to life. Throttle response is dramatically different, the transmission holds a gear (or two) higher for much longer, etc. On the other hand, the eco mode is also noticeably reserved and almost feels like there's a cylinder deactivation (which there isn't). I usually default to sport mode, but honestly, it's a little hairy for something like the drive to school.

IIRC, the M button in my E63 M6 activated 2 addition cylinders for an extra 100hp over the norma, default 8-cyl mode. Beyond that, you could program the other settings such as traction control and transmission shift speed so the M button was a one-stop-shop for excitement - again, a very noticable change in the car.

It seems the drive modes become more appreciable if the car has greater performance... there's a lot more bandwidth for change when you have, say, 500hp rather than what you can expect to change in a 150hp economy car.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #563
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post

In my wife's SUV, for instance, the sport mode miraculously makes the whole thing seem to come to life. Throttle response is dramatically different, the transmission holds a gear (or two) higher for much longer, etc. On the other hand, the eco mode is also noticeably reserved and almost feels like there's a cylinder deactivation (which there isn't). I usually default to sport mode, but honestly, it's a little hairy for something like the drive to school.

IIRC, the M button in my E63 M6 activated 2 addition cylinders for an extra 100hp over the norma, default 8-cyl mode. Beyond that, you could program the other settings such as traction control and transmission shift speed so the M button was a one-stop-shop for excitement - again, a very noticable change in the car.

It seems the drive modes become more appreciable if the car has greater performance... there's a lot more bandwidth for change when you have, say, 500hp rather than what you can expect to change in a 150hp economy car.
I use both eco and sport mode and prior to having those modes, I loved turning on and off the "over drive" mode depending on how I wanted to drive.

Certain vehicles I've been in also somehow feel like the suspension stiffens when put into sport mode. It's lively and aggressive. I love it!

Eco mode is mainly designed for those who evaluate their driving based on how low they can get their average L/100 km. Eco I guess is also useful for making your drive smooth and slow for the comfort of sleeping passengers.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #564
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eco buttons are also useful for when you are driving around Europe, after you have to pay for your first full tank of gas.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #565
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

That's not crazy, but I'm over 500 hp in my car and I still use sport exclusively. I have a fast car, why would I want it to be slower? If on the odd time I forget to hit sport when I start it up, I'm super annoyed when I punch it and don't have all my power as fast as possible.

Could be my car, though. It's AWD so I don't have to worry about wrapping myself around a light pole on a hard launch like if I was in a similarly powered rwd or something. With a performance rwd, I could definitely see the appeal of toning things down as needed.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #566
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That's not crazy, but I'm over 500 hp in my car and I still use sport exclusively. I have a fast car, why would I want it to be slower? If on the odd time I forget to hit sport when I start it up, I'm super annoyed when I punch it and don't have all my power as fast as possible.

Could be my car, though. It's AWD so I don't have to worry about wrapping myself around a light pole on a hard launch like if I was in a similarly powered rwd or something. With a performance rwd, I could definitely see the appeal of toning things down as needed.
I mean, you and I basically had the same car with me having two fewer doors, and there is a great reason for not using sport mode and sport suspension mode exclusively: highway driving. In Efficiency mode with Comfort suspension, it's a smooth, comfortable, and economical grand tourer. That's what you want out of those modes, earlier smoother upshifts and cloud-esque suspension comfort.

No, you'd almost never use those eco and comfort modes in the city (unless you're on a date or something), but what good are the more sporting drive modes on, say, the TransCanada Highway?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:30 PM   #567
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What did you guys do to your 550s to get 500+ hp out of them?

Anyways, I stand by my opinion that as long as there is an appreciable difference in driving characteristics, the choice of different driving modes is better than not having a choice, even if you choose never to use the other modes.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:54 PM   #568
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

RENNtech tune.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #569
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What did you guys do to your 550s to get 500+ hp out of them?
I did a stage 2 tune from Pressertech in Georgia. They were really good to deal with.

Spoiler!
Old 09-25-2020, 10:14 PM   #570
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

In my car the modes change the steering quickness, suspension stiffness and throttle response, so I do end up making use of it occasionally. If it's just throttle response, then agreed, dynamic/sport all day every day.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:44 AM   #571
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting 500 / 500 at 2500 seems more than a little insane. It's a v8 Tesla folks!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #572
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sharing this here as well in the other thread, as it is certainly something automotive-minded folks will want to act on:

Council is poised to vote on Wednesday for this absurd piece of legislation to reduce the default speed limit to 40 KM/H (which impacts any road without a posted limit), and a further reduction of the limits to 30 KM/H in the future.

I wrote my councillor again expressing my complete opposition to this and I hope you will too.

Find your councillor: https://www.calgary.ca/citycouncil/f...ouncillor.html
Then go to their site, Contact [Name], and write to them expressing your opposition.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #573
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I think my Jeep purchase is down the tubes. I gave them a deposit to hold the vehicle but am already disappointed with Detroit quality. There’s a wind leak from the driver side roof panel even at medium speeds that of course the dealer “can’t hear”.

They said give them a chance to try to fix as the car hasn’t been totally prepped yet but I think I’m asking for trouble out of the gate with this purchase.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #574
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

*Chrysler quality.

Personally, I think buying a new Jeep is insane. The thing is going to rattle and squeal and clunk almost certainly. An old bush beater, sure. But 60K on a vehicle that performs and feels exactly like it’s 20 year old right out of the gate? I don’t get it.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #575
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Getting 500 / 500 at 2500 seems more than a little insane. It's a v8 Tesla folks!
To be fair, the hp @ 2500 rpm is ~250... But that torque curve is tasty!
Old 09-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #576
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're right, not sure what the hell I was looking at. 4500 peak makes way more sense.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #577
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Any former or current Subaru owners out there want to give a fellow CPer some guidance?

I am thinking about getting either the new Outback XT which has the 4 cylinder turbo, a used 2018/2019 Outback with the 3.6 liter 6 cylinder engine or the new Subaru Ascent SUV which also has turbo engine.

Any suggestions?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #578
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up a 911 (996) mostly for the fun of it and now I’m wondering where to get it serviced. Ideally I plan to DD it but I definitely want to get it brought back up to fully maintained before doing so. It’s not a mint car but as long as I can keep it reliable it’s way more car than what you’d get spending the money on something else.

Only problem is I’m pretty bad at wrenching so I need a mechanic for now. Second problem is I’m North of Edmonton so I’ll have to get it serviced there. Anyone up North have a recommendation for a good shop?

Good Calgary shop recommendations are appreciated also if I ened up needing a big service. I feel like the transmission in this car might be pooched, but whatever, the price was right. Edit: went through the search feature and Alpine Autowerks seems to be the place to go in Calgary at least.

Last edited by bigrangy; 09-29-2020 at 10:12 PM.
bigrangy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #579
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Any former or current Subaru owners out there want to give a fellow CPer some guidance?

I am thinking about getting either the new Outback XT which has the 4 cylinder turbo, a used 2018/2019 Outback with the 3.6 liter 6 cylinder engine or the new Subaru Ascent SUV which also has turbo engine.

Any suggestions?
I think they are good cars but don't age all that well compared to a boring but reliable Toyota. I've worked on quite a few I find them too delicate and finicky. Depends on how long you want to keep it.

Past 200,000km the turbos tend to develop issues.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #580
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: