Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #3021
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't bother with 1500w electric heaters, the cost to run them is too great for what they would put out. Depending how and when your garage was wired, if you have a 1500w heater sharing the same circuit as the opener you will more than likely get nuisance breaker tripping by overloading it.

As much as I hate to say it, pony up and get a gas line out there.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #3022
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I wouldn't bother with 1500w electric heaters, the cost to run them is too great for what they would put out. Depending how and when your garage was wired, if you have a 1500w heater sharing the same circuit as the opener you will more than likely get nuisance breaker tripping by overloading it.

As much as I hate to say it, pony up and get a gas line out there.
I don't disagree, but if he thinks 240v and gas is a no-go for this winter, a 120v heater is the only option he's looking at.

That said, assuming the 1500w is the same across every electric option (baseboard, oil, quartz, etc) the 1500w is all heat anyways, so efficiency is the same - I'd go with oil (either with a built in fan or add a small oscillating) given it is going to add a giant amount of thermal mass to help recover heat once the door opens.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #3023
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pay close attention to the range on the thermostat. My oil heater has a minimum temp of 18 degrees, so it wouldn’t be good for a garage. The Delonghi has an anti freeze setting of 7 degrees, so that might work well.
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:05 PM   #3024
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wood Stove and a Chainsaw...

Go Old School !!!!!
Old 09-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #3025
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before I got my gas heater I bought a 4000w 240v electric. My garage is well insulated, 700 sq ft. It could kinda heat it up, and if just keeping it 5 degrees it would probably do it, but I'm not sure I'd want it running all the time like that.

I'd really see if you could get a gas line done before winter, depending on the distance. Mine was ~$1000, and $700 for a Mr Heater from Princess Auto with an vertical exhaust. Though I dug my own trench, and did the install, other than the gas line.

Last edited by Fuzz; 09-28-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #3026
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Before I got my gas heater I bought a 4000w 240v electric. My garage is well insulated, 700 sq ft. It could kinda heat it up, and if just keeping it 5 degrees it would probably do it, but I'm not sure I'd want it running all the time like that.

I'd really see if you could get a gas line done before winter, depending on the distance. Mine was ~$1000, and $700 for a Mr Heater from Princess Auto with an vertical exhaust. Though I dug my own trench, and did the install, other than the gas line.
My yard is all low-maintenance stone so I'd have to yank up the stonework, dig a trench, have the gas line from the patio split and extended to the garage, and re-seat all the stone. Definitely a next year project, but running out of time for this year.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 05:39 PM   #3027
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You may want to look and see about a gas heater...mine can run on natural gas or propane(with an easy conversion). I wonder if you can run a hose and use a tank for the winter when needed? Then you already have the heater ready to go when you can run a gas line. No idea how quick it would go through propane though, or the rules on that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #3028
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
My yard is all low-maintenance stone so I'd have to yank up the stonework, dig a trench, have the gas line from the patio split and extended to the garage, and re-seat all the stone. Definitely a next year project, but running out of time for this year.
Wouldn't it be easier to park and do any projects in Fuzz's garage? It's already set up for you.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #3029
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

He has a big driveway so there is ample parking space for you.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #3030
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
He has a big driveway so there is ample parking space for you.
Aren't you using his driveway now that yours is covered in piles of clay and concrete rubble?
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #3031
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For those of you in the woodworking and/or contracting space, is this a good deal for this Dewalt saw + free stand? Or is the cost of the stand essentially baked into the price? And is this saw overkill for someone just doing home renos and beginner work working?

https://www.rona.ca/en/dewalt-compou...ws780-00275512

Comparable have the saw alone at $699 (Canadian Tire).
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #3032
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

The saw is not overkill for projects. It’s nice to have the 12” sliding saw so you are not limited when you come to handling larger pieces. By no means am I an advanced woodworker but I’ve been at it a while now and I still have something comparable to this.

If you need one, then buy it and use it. You’ll get a warranty if new and dewalt parts are easy to come by in the city if you do need a repair.

I don’t use my stand anymore as I have a permanent set up for my saw in my shop.

EDIT: don’t be scared to shop for used ones on Kijiji if you don’t want to spend the money up front.

Last edited by surferguy; 10-04-2020 at 03:55 PM.
surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #3033
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
The saw is not overkill for projects. It’s nice to have the 12” sliding saw so you are not limited when you come to handling larger pieces. By no means am I an advanced woodworker but I’ve been at it a while now and I still have something comparable to this.

If you need one, then buy it and use it. You’ll get a warranty if new and dewalt parts are easy to come by in the city if you do need a repair.

I don’t use my stand anymore as I have a permanent set up for my saw in my shop.

EDIT: don’t be scared to shop for used ones on Kijiji if you don’t want to spend the money up front.
I’ve been looking for a deal on a mitre saw for a while, and one tip I have is to occasionally search “chop saw”. I find they are always the lowest priced ones, guessing people selling something they don’t know much about.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #3034
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’ve been looking for a deal on a mitre saw for a while, and one tip I have is to occasionally search “chop saw”. I find they are always the lowest priced ones, guessing people selling something they don’t know much about.
So true “dur hur it done a good job 90 degree choppin of my mdf casin. Sliding compound mitre what?”
Old 10-05-2020, 12:08 AM   #3035
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

$799 for that saw would indicate to me that the stand price is built in.

Couple of years ago, I got my 12” Bosch sliding mitre saw at Rona for a bit over $400 on clearance.

If you can wait, there may be better deals out there. KMS tools has a 12” gliding Bosch with stand for the same $700 price. That’s a better saw.

https://m.kmstools.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=10657
Old 10-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #3036
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
$799 for that saw would indicate to me that the stand price is built in.

Couple of years ago, I got my 12” Bosch sliding mitre saw at Rona for a bit over $400 on clearance.

If you can wait, there may be better deals out there. KMS tools has a 12” gliding Bosch with stand for the same $700 price. That’s a better saw.

https://m.kmstools.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=10657
The bosch gravity-rise stands are amazing... after the steep learning curve of learning how to use them

For comparison, my time machine says 2017 I bought this for $199 with free stand. I have no complaints
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryo...N______583694_

Last edited by jwslam; 10-05-2020 at 08:44 AM.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #3037
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have been using my Milwakee for about 8 years now and it is a fantastic saw. I got it for 599 at HD with the stand included. It has the longitudinal motor so you can get the same range on both sides for a cut which is nice. It is very acurate, and has digital angle readout.

Would highly recommend. If your just using for renovations and the odd project this will last you a lifetime. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mil...saw/1000526692
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #3038
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my washing machine has been leaking the last while. I think I have isolated the problem to be the door gasket. It doesn't quite appear to be set right anymore and there are some tiny holes in the bottom of it.

Anyone changed one of these before? Its an LG front loading model. Something I should take an attempt at myself? Or just get someone to come look at it for me?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #3039
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I live in an old house that came with old appliances. Over the last couple of years I've had to replace numerous parts. Secret for me has been to find the right youtube videos (there really is a video for everything!). See if you can find a video for your part, and assess if it's doable for you.

In the olden days I would've just defaulted to calling someone - but now I give it a shot - most of the ones I've had to do have been easy.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #3040
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought I was going crazy replacing some lightbulbs. I was putting in new dimmable lightbulbs and I tried some new LED versions. After I installed them I couldn't figure out why they were not working, but it turns out they take probably 5-6 seconds to turn on (and I wasn't waiting that amount of time to see if they were working) Is this normal? I can live with it, but wondering if I have something weird going on.