Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #81
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
This comes off as typical uninformed crap about mental health and writing it off like it's not a thing.
If you're arguing from a perspective of informed expertise, then no doubt you can present some evidence and data to back up your assertion.

Nobody is denying that we're seeing an increase in depression due to Covid. What we're challenging is your assertion that depression has led to decreased sports viewership. Why would this be the case when the pandemic has seen an increase in other streamed entertainment?

I've never seen any data showing depressed people stop watching TV and sports. In fact, studies have shown the opposite - high levels of TV time correlate to increased incidence of depression.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-22-2020 at 07:41 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #82
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Don't worry the NHL has a big US TV contract coming up????

link

NBA down 33%
How are the ratings in Canada? This article from a month or so ago stated that they were soaring for NBA and NHL in Canada:

https://barrettsportsmedia.com/2020/...ecord-numbers/
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:03 AM   #83
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
It's easy to say this is the case because it's not previously depressed viewers not watching, it's newly depressed, newly anxious. Folks that have been adjusting to solitude.

Take the NFL. The are down a large chunk in viewership, during their regular playing period, more people home and not working, they even have some fans in the crowds. Why would they be down so much? Simple, apathy.

The NFL is in a popularity down spin since they took a political stand. Are you suggesting that it was a coincidence the NFL peaked at the exact moment that they took political action and apathy set in?

Last edited by ricardodw; 09-22-2020 at 09:26 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:34 AM   #84
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
How are the ratings in Canada? This article from a month or so ago stated that they were soaring for NBA and NHL in Canada:

https://barrettsportsmedia.com/2020/...ecord-numbers/
It is the best secret on internet.

Best I could find was http://en.numeris.ca/media-and-events/tv-weekly-top-30

In the week of the article you referenced the NHL qualifiers were #12 in ratings . It has dropped from 736 to #18 and #24 in the latest (aug 31 -sept 6) Numeris published ratings 616 and 563

NHL being beaten in the rating wars by reruns of Blue Bloods.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #85
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If you’re arguing from a perspective of informed expertise, then no doubt you can present some evidence or data to back up your assertion.

Nobody is denying that we’re seeing an increase in depression due to Covid. What we’re challenging is your assertion that depression has led to decreased sports viewership. Why would this be the case when the pandemic has seen an increase in other streamed entertainment?

I’ve never seen any data showing depressed people stop watching TV and sports. Back if I’m misinformed, I’ll be happy to be educated on the matter.
I never said they stopped watching TV. I said it affects viewing habits, due to apathy. It's a really simple concept dude. I also gave examples, as for "data" the ####ing pandemic isn't even over, and things like that time to produce.

I'm arguing as someone who is personally affected by it and seen how it has affected my viewing habits and those of my friends.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #86
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
The NFL is in a popularity down spin since they took a political stand. Are you suggesting that it was a coincidence the NHL peaked at the exact moment that they took political action and apathy set in?
Then why is Fox willing to pay 2 billion a year for NFL games? That's double from the current contract.

https://awfulannouncing.com/fox/fox-...nfl-games.html

Popularity is hardly in a down spin.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:10 PM   #87
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure last night's Monday Night football game was the highest drawing Monday night game in over 10 years.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1308526412685475842

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-22-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #88
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm pretty sure last night's Monday Night football game was the highest drawing Monday night game in over 10 years.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1308526412685475842
Broadcasters and the leagues will trip over themselves to announce this, in an attempt to convince everyone that they too should be watching the excitement. Most of it is hardly that. And the fake crowd noise is LMAO.

I think the general point here is that all the leagues enjoy high ratings when the games begin. As the season or tournament drags on, interest wanes and eventually they will all end up where the NHL is with an anticlimactic lame final.

You need the fans in the stands.

I suspect the NFL will get more bums in the seats. The league knows how to sell its product better than the other leagues do
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #89
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh, pretty sure the super bowl will do alright in the ratings
Old 09-22-2020, 07:55 PM   #90
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Entertainment options are limited now, so it should be no surprise ratings are high. I'm told our streaming radio ratings during COVID are around 3X normal. People are isolating at home with nothing much to do.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 07:59 PM   #91
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Entertainment options are limited now, so it should be no surprise ratings are high. I'm told our streaming radio ratings during COVID are around 3X normal. People are isolating at home with nothing much to do.
Someone tell the NHL.

Hockey in summer is just a tough sell, particularly in the US.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:01 PM   #92
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Broadcasters and the leagues will trip over themselves to announce this, in an attempt to convince everyone that they too should be watching the excitement. Most of it is hardly that. And the fake crowd noise is LMAO.

I think the general point here is that all the leagues enjoy high ratings when the games begin. As the season or tournament drags on, interest wanes and eventually they will all end up where the NHL is with an anticlimactic lame final.

You need the fans in the stands.

I suspect the NFL will get more bums in the seats. The league knows how to sell its product better than the other leagues do
You really seem to want the numbers to be awful just to prove the point that people aren't interested in watching sports without fans. And that's why Rogers is gonna pull out of their NHL contract (they're not, it's not happening).

I get it, it sucks. Crowd and venue atmosphere is a big part in why the professional leagues are lot more palatable in viewing on TV, and just in general. But unless you got the cure to the coronavirus, and we can all get back to having full capacity of fans in the stands this week, it's the world we live in right now.

Best can do is be patient, and hope things can get back to normal much sooner, rather than later.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote