Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #2481
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think Jankowski plays 1-2 years in the minors ideally. Don't be pencilling him in anytime soon IMO. I think it would be better to keep Backlund for now.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #2482
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wouldn't count Jankowski out of next years NHL roster.

He's big enough, smart enough and defensively responsible enough to make the NHL. He was the best forward at last years development camp except for maybe Bennett and has had a very solid injury free year of progression since.

I think 3rd line Center would be a great place for him to still be sheltered while be playing enough to continue developing.

This isn't some kid coming out of junior, it's a 21 year old who has been playing against 22-23 year olds for 4 years.

I see Hayes as a comparable player and he was able to step right into the NHL and have immediate success.

And if that 3rd line center position is taken by Backlund, Jankowski can start out at wing. Hell we might even have Matthews in the mix. I think if we landed Matthews then we should trade Backlund+ for a good young RWer.

Last edited by Bandwagon In Flames; 03-08-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #2483
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post

He's big enough, smart enough and defensively responsible enough to make the NHL. He was the best forward at last years development camp except for maybe Bennett and has had a very solid injury free year of progression since.

I think 3rd line Center would be a great place for him to still be sheltered while be playing enough to continue developing.

This isn't some kid coming out of junior, it's a 21 year old who has been playing against 22-23 year olds for 4 years.

I see Hayes as a comparable player and he was able to step right into the NHL and have immediate success.

And if that 3rd line center position is taken by Backlund, Jankowski can start out at wing. Hell we might even have Matthews in the mix. I think if we landed Matthews then we should trade Backlund+ for a good young RWer.
Jankowski is all the things you said, but he's also been very slow in his progression. Whenever he goes to the next level, he takes his time finding his way.

If for only this reason, I would be surprised to see him start anywhere but Stockton. Eventually I see him as either a top 6 winger or two #3C that allows us to trade Backlund.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #2484
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Jankowski arguably hasn't completely filled out yet either. Because he was a beanpole I think you need to move him up levels slowly until he feels confident physically. I think starting him in the AHL and letting him learn the pro game there while not losing offensive confidence is key. Letting him continue to fill out and learn to use his size to his advantage in the pro game is the best way to go IMO. There's no rush. It would be only natural as a thin kid with raw skills for him to start in the minors. Could he surprise? Yes, anybody could I guess. But personally I'd be surprised if he starts anywhere other Stockton.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #2485
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's mostly how I see Jankowski. Too skinny to play a physical game causing him to shy away from much contact. It's gotten better but it would be great if he can add more muscle to gain more confidence.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #2486
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Jankowski is all the things you said, but he's also been very slow in his progression. Whenever he goes to the next level, he takes his time finding his way.

If for only this reason, I would be surprised to see him start anywhere but Stockton. Eventually I see him as either a top 6 winger or two #3C that allows us to trade Backlund.

Slow? I wouldn't call it slow, but steady. He played high school hockey when he was drafted and was very raw. Going straight to the NCAA instead of spending a year in the USHL is almost unheard of. Of course he wasn't going to be lighting it up right away, especially in a defense first system. Over the course of 4 years he's developed strength, skill and top notch defensive play.

Management said he was 3-4 years away from being NHL ready at the time of the draft. He was ready to go pro a year ago and instead was sent back to become the key piece of his powerhouse NCAA team. Well guess what, it's been 4 years and this man is ready for the NHL.

Oh and the last I've heard regarding Jankowski is that he's no longer a bean pole. Just not used to using his size yet.

Last edited by Bandwagon In Flames; 03-08-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #2487
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Management said he was 3-4 years away from being NHL ready at the time of the draft. He was ready to go pro a year ago and instead was sent back to become the key piece of his powerhouse NCAA team. Well guess what, it's been 4 years and this man is ready for the NHL.
I don't believe any of those 3 assertions is true. I don't think management said he was 3-4 years away when he was drafted, please provide a link. I don't think he was ready to go pro a year ago and that's why they sent him back. NHL ready? I don't think he is yet.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:31 PM   #2488
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

and gosh darn it, people like him!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #2489
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Slow? I wouldn't call it slow, but steady. He played high school hockey when he was drafted and was very raw. Going straight to the NCAA instead of spending a year in the USHL is almost unheard of. Of course he wasn't going to be lighting it up right away, especially in a defense first system. Over the course of 4 years he's developed strength, skill and top notch defensive play.

Oh and the last I've heard regarding Jankowski is that he's no longer a bean pole. Just not used to using his size yet.
All I'm saying is he takes a little while to get comfortable. I hope he makes the team out of camp. But I don't expect him to.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 08:45 PM   #2490
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Yeah that's mostly how I see Jankowski. Too skinny to play a physical game causing him to shy away from much contact. It's gotten better but it would be great if he can add more muscle to gain more confidence.
6'4 200 pounds. Hardly what I'd call skinny.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/11/26...-of-the-future
Quote:
Yep, the centre whose height is closing in on 6-foot-4 will fluctuate between 198 and 200 lb. depending on the day.
And like FDW said above, he's not done filling out.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #2491
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett also started as a stringbean (and very much still is), but Bennett doesn't hide from the dirty areas. Likewise with Byron. Colborne is a big boy and he tends to stray away from any physical contact.

Whether a player wants to engage in rough play is a personality trait more than a body shape IMO. I can't see Jankowski all of a sudden being an aggressive player.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #2492
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Bennett also started as a stringbean (and very much still is), but Bennett doesn't hide from the dirty areas. Likewise with Byron. Colborne is a big boy and he tends to stray away from any physical contact.
However its hard to say how Colborne would have developed had he not left college early to turn pro. If he had stayed in college and then went to the minors more physically developed he may have learned to use his size to his advantage moreso. Going to the minors later basically allows you more years of development of the prospect before you have to waive them. Colborne we had to keep on the NHL roster because of waivers and thats why TOR dumped him. If he plays 2 more years of college then he has more development time before you have to keep him in the NHL. You couldn't keep Colborne in the AHL long enough for him to learn to dominate it before you had to keep him in the NHL. We've been developing Colborne the last couple years at the NHL level because of that when it would have been better for him to have been dominating the AHL instead.

The example of Colborne IMO shows why Jankowski going back to college was a good idea. He gets in free development time in college that has very little bearing on his waiver status before moving onto the minors. Now Jankowski can stay a year in two in the minors and have had 5-6 years development before we have to worry about him needing to be waived. He can continue to fill out and learn to play pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Whether a player wants to engage in rough play is a personality trait more than a body shape IMO. I can't see Jankowski all of a sudden being an aggressive player.
Agreed. However players can learn to use their size and reach to their advantage. Jagr isn't a physical player but he's one of the best in the league at protecting the puck by using his core strength, size and reach. They more easily learn these things by dominating at whatever level they are at. Colborne has improved in this area quite a bit since he first joined the Flames, he's better at shielding the puck with his body and using his reach but he's got lots of room for improvement in that area. He's need to get stronger and more confident still.

Jankowski is going to slowly learn to use his size to his advantage but it will help to dominate at each level as he moves up. I think he's going to learn to use his size to his advantage more quickly at lower levels rather than rushing him to the NHL and risking him losing offensive and physical confidence.

Rushing prospects can be bad for them psychologically as they can struggle to put up points, lose confidence in their offensive game and then end up not achieving their full potential. That is a reason not to rush Jankowski and not to rush most prospects. Only the rare ones can step in right away and make an impact ala Sean Monahan and Sam Bennett. Best to be patient with Jankowski and let him develop and dominate each level before moving on. Skipping the minors completely doesn't seem like a smart idea for his development long term.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 03-08-2016 at 10:01 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #2493
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
6'4 200 pounds. Hardly what I'd call skinny.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/11/26...-of-the-future

And like FDW said above, he's not done filling out.
Yeah, I think it was last summer that he announced on his twitter account that he'd reached 200 lbs, so as I said, "it's gotten better" . As I said though it would be nice if he could add more muscle as he's lacked the aggressive part of the game.

In my mind he's slowly progressing and maybe one day he'll be ready.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #2494
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

When does his season end? All this talk of him making the team out of camp is fun, but we'll get to see him play a few games after his season ends, right? It'll give us a decent idea where the kid is at.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #2495
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
When does his season end? All this talk of him making the team out of camp is fun, but we'll get to see him play a few games after his season ends, right? It'll give us a decent idea where the kid is at.
His season could last up to April 9th which is the Flames last game.

Earliest his season could be done is March 25th.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #2496
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel like the when does his season end question has been address on atleast a 3rd of the last 15 pages.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:34 AM   #2497
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is tough for anyone to really pencil him in for next season, or to discount him from even making the team. At development camp last year, he really did look head and shoulders above everyone else. Given another year of NCAA development, another off-season of training - he could be 'NHL-ready'. I think he gets sent down, but will be one of the later cuts I bet. He (at least to me) screams like a player Hartley would love. The same attributes that Hartley has praised Monahan for in the past, seems like the same attributes that Leamen praises Jankowski for in the NCAA. He is the type of player that coaches seem to put trust in to play in any situation.

I do think he gets sent down, but I also do think he gets some extended looks next season. I doubt very much - unless it is due to an injury - that we see him as a center. Monahan isn't getting displaced as a center. Bennett is unlikely from here on out to be anything other than a center. The way Backlund is playing, I really can't see anyone displacing him either. Of course, there is a draft lottery, and if the Flames are fortunate enough to get Mathews, than of course what I just stated gets altered.

I see Jankowski starting off as a 3rd line winger. Probably with Bennett if Bennett is playing 3rd line while developing, or Backlund. All depends on how good Jankowski looks, and which line is playing the easier minutes - at least to start.

Seems like a good way to bring him in. I just don't know what his timetable is any longer in terms of development. I agree with what FDW stated above completely - the AHL is a GREAT place to have him play in and learn to dominate before jumping into the NHL. I just think that he COULD end up forcing a decision sooner rather than later.

In other words, and as completely stupid as this sentence sounds - 'It wouldn't surprise me if he surprised me.'
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #2498
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mark Jankowski had 2 assists on the weekend to give him an 8 game point streak and 40(15g25a) points on the season. He is the first Providence Friar to reach 40 points since 02-03.

Providence beats Merrimack 2 games to none to move on to the Hockey East Semi-Finals
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #2499
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jankowski continues his excellent season by being named a Hockey East First Team All-Star along with teammate Jake Walman.

http://www.friars.com/sports/m-hocke...031716aaa.html
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #2500
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that Janko is the first Providence team member to hit 40 points since 02/03. Having a very productive offensive season in a program that doesn't produce a lot of big point getters.

Also always forget how young he is - is a senior on his team but is still 3 years younger then the other top guys in Mingoia and Saracino.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:

Tags
have some patience people