Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #2461
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Now the argument has shifted to the Flames failing because they didn't sign him last season? Holy hell.

Were you this vocal about it when he wasn't signed last year? No? Because it was a reasonable decision at the time? Then shut up already.

Oh and it's hilarious Granteed that you're so delusional you didn't realize how sarcastic MMF's original post was that you quoted. The post that send you down a rambling mess of uneducated posts.

Last edited by Bandwagon In Flames; 03-05-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #2462
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

My theory is that Treliving understands the contract restraints we are under this year, and realized we would be in a situation next year with more room for Djanko. Pair that with the fact that he gets more development time, and we could possibly get a more effective impact player on his ELC.

Jankowski signing after his 4th year works out for Calgary on the long run.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #2463
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Last year some people even argued that they'd prefer the compensational 2nd rounder that we get if we don't sign him. This year people are actually scared that he doesn't sign with us. Pretty hilarious..

The best part will be when he only puts up 25 points for Utica or the Marlies next season we'll flip flop again.
druetetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #2464
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

nvm
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #2465
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Nvm

Last edited by druetetective; 03-05-2016 at 10:21 AM.
druetetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #2466
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

nah that was actually flawed logic on my part I think. The timeline would have been different (if he had gone to the USHL, he could have become a UFA a month after the end of his season; but now he'd have to wait longer - until August I believe), but I think teams get a compensational 2nd rounder regardless of any circumstances if they don't sign a 1st rounder, so the Flames would get the compensation in either case. My bad.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #2467
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by druetetective View Post
The best part will be when he only puts up 25 points for Utica or the Marlies next season we'll flip flop again.
If he's playing for Utica or Toronto, we'll have turned on him long before his point totals are determined.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #2468
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

2016 Hobey Baker nominees announced
http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the...rial-award/v4h
No sign of Jankowski
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:52 PM   #2469
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

If he decides to bolt, I certainly won't agree that making him play his senior year was "right". Not when Hunter Smith is skipping his overage year.
How did I miss this, or how did no one else call him out on this.

One has nothing to do with the other. Being an overaged player in the CHL has little to do with being a senior in College. Hunter Smith being 20 and one of two-three 20 year olds per club has nothing (NOTHING) to do with a College player being 21 and playing his senior season.

Keenan Kanzig is the oldest player on the Hitmen this season, he was returned to the WHL has an overaged player by the Flames. Kanzig is one of three 20 year olds that have been regulars for Calgary, the oldest guys on the team. Kanzig regularly plays against 17-18 year olds.

Mark Jankowski is 21 and would be right in the middle age group on his team and in College. He reguarly plays with and against guys 22, 23 and 24 years old.

Both would be considered final years but there is no comparison between the two. It's a sloppy lazy thing to say and a downright ignorant comparable.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #2470
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

if we won the draft lottery it would mean we have backlund bennett monahan matthews and stajan down the middle. If this were to happen do u guys think jankowski could feel he wouldnt get a chance to play centre here and decide to test free agency?
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #2471
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
if we won the draft lottery it would mean we have backlund bennett monahan matthews and stajan down the middle. If this were to happen do u guys think jankowski could feel he wouldnt get a chance to play centre here and decide to test free agency?
the last possible date for Jankowski to be done is April 9th, which is also the last day of the NHL regular season. The draft lottery will probably take place 1-2 weeks later (last year it was on April 18th), so I guess there's a big chance that Jankowski will be signed before the lottery. If the Friars don't go to the finals again, I'm sure Jankowski will get the Hanowski/Agostino/Gaudreau/Arnold treatment.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #2472
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't matter anyways really.

As much as I like Janko, if we had Matthews, Monahan, Bennett and Backlund down the middle I'd be fine taking the 2nd round compensation pick if Janko didn't want to compete for a spot with the Flames.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:57 PM   #2473
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Doesn't matter anyways really.

As much as I like Janko, if we had Matthews, Monahan, Bennett and Backlund down the middle I'd be fine taking the 2nd round compensation pick if Janko didn't want to compete for a spot with the Flames.
I wouldn't be ok with that at all. A second round pick that might be a player seven years after Jankowski got drafted? You make signing him a priority, as a big talented near NHL ready center would fetch a better return for the Flames than a second rounder on the trade market, like an established player we could use right now.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #2474
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
I am not sure that would change Jankowski's chances much, if at all.

Unless someone has Jankowski pegged at competing for the top 2 center spots, adding Mathews doesn't change anything. I don't think any of Monahan, Bennett or Mathews would be playing 3rd line center moving forward in the organization. Jankowski would still be competing with Backlund long-term for that 3rd line center spot.

It would slightly reduce his chances of playing top 6 wing - as one Monahan, Bennett or Mathews would be moved over to the wing. That is about all though, in my opinion.

If he thought that competition was too much for center, he would have opted to return to college on his own last season instead of hoping to turn pro, as the Flames looked good with Bennett coming out of the playoffs, as he would be counting the days for free agency.

I am sure one thing he realizes well is how badly the Flames need a big, skilled player on the wing to play with Gaudreau and Monahan, or a big skilled 3rd line center to help shut-down the other big centers in the western conference. Seeing him step up in the NCAA championships and compete very well head-to-head with Eichel leads me to believe he can indeed make a good career for himself at this role in Calgary, while still creating some offence.

If I were to guess, I bet he ends up securing a top-6 wing position in the long-run with Calgary.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #2475
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
the last possible date for Jankowski to be done is April 9th, which is also the last day of the NHL regular season. The draft lottery will probably take place 1-2 weeks later (last year it was on April 18th), so I guess there's a big chance that Jankowski will be signed before the lottery. If the Friars don't go to the finals again, I'm sure Jankowski will get the Hanowski/Agostino/Gaudreau/Arnold treatment.
thank you i did not realize that. I thought the lottery would happen before.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #2476
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice Player View Post
I wouldn't be ok with that at all. A second round pick that might be a player seven years after Jankowski got drafted? You make signing him a priority, as a big talented near NHL ready center would fetch a better return for the Flames than a second rounder on the trade market, like an established player we could use right now.
I wasn't saying I wouldn't try to sign him, just that it wouldn't be as devastating of a blow if we had all those other centers already, and he didn't want to sign.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:58 PM   #2477
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames will sign Jankowski after the Friars end their season. Jankowski knows he won't be a 1st or 2nd line centre and if he wants a chance to play the Top 6 minutes, he will have to switch to a RW. As a centre, I have to say he is a 3rd line C but having Backlund in the organization, he'll be happy to play the 4th line C position. I like this kid and I think he will help the Flames someday. He is a big guy(in height not weight) and he can play two-way hockey and can score as well. I am sure he will start in Stockton to learn professional hockey then play for the Flames the season after. Stajan might be gone by then.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #2478
FeyWest
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I understand the idea that given how our center depth is (or seems to be) that losing Djanko to compensatory 2nd round pick isn't as brutal as it may have been, but I counter that that would really suck no matter how much center depth we have. Thing is for years the Flames couldn't find centers not named Langkow for years, and finally when we have some promising guys as depth options and bottom liners, we're willing to part with a guy who has the potential (yes it's not substantial but you can't doubt it's there) to be a top-6 center or an extremely viable #3 center. Just blows my mind, I think you can't have enough potential centers in the mix and I think the amount of time we've been patient with him is enough to warrant everyone wanting to get him signed, not shrugging their shoulders like "eh, at least we got a 2nd". Not trying to put words in the mouths of anyone just the overall sense I get around here nowadays.

Although, it's nice to see a lot more of you shifting over to the Djanko bus!
"As far as I'm concerned I take it one day at a time because if you look too far down the road that's when you get yourself in trouble. You've gotta enjoy the process and not be burdened by the outcome." - Jon Gillies
FeyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FeyWest For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #2479
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

If we had Jankowski, Monahan, Bennett, Backlund, Stajan and Jooris next year, I assume Stajan gets bought out and Backlund gets packaged for a RW.

It would be sick to have Monahan, Bennett, and Jankowski down the middle (assuming Bennett and Jankowski stick as centremen). You already have one impact winger in Gaudreau, so it's just a matter of filling the wings, which is the easiest position to fill. Especially when we have Shikaruk, Poirer, Agostino, Bouma, Colborne, Frolik, etc already in the system, as well as Laine/Puljajarvi.

But certainly Jankowski would be stuck down the depth if we drafted Matthews. Unless he's converted over to wing.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #2480
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Extremely unlikely that Jankowski makes the big club next year, IMO.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:

Tags
have some patience people