Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #2441
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or the more reasonable response was that they saw they already had a pretty full Farm System, already had a lot of young first year players in the AHL/ECHL, and realized for his own development it made more sense to be the go-to offensive player on his team playing top line minutes (which he never had done in his first 3 seasons) instead of coming and battling for minutes on the AHL team.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #2442
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless Jankowski is an idiot, I think he would now tell you now that going back for his 4th year was the best thing for him.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #2443
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Unless Jankowski is an idiot, I think he would now tell you now that going back for his 4th year was the best thing for him.
I don't really think he's taken much of a step this year. he's playing more minutes with better players, but he's pretty much where he was at the end of last year. The numbers just look better, the play is the same. I think being in the AHL would have seen him take a bigger step in his own game.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #2444
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just glad that we are worried about him signing here because he has shown so much promise over the last couple of years. Many posters were ready to give up on him.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #2445
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If we doesn't sign we still get that sweet compensation
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #2446
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just send Conroy with the jet again the night Janko wins the Frozen 4. Bring Gilmour to Calgary in the jet too, just because. It worked on Gaudreau and Arnold.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #2447
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't really think he's taken much of a step this year. he's playing more minutes with better players, but he's pretty much where he was at the end of last year. The numbers just look better, the play is the same. I think being in the AHL would have seen him take a bigger step in his own game.
????

Hasn't taken much of a step this year? That statement sounds preposterous.

I think it's best for players to have offensive confidence at each level before moving on. This season was huge for his offensive confidence knowing he could dominate at this level.

Now he can move on and try to dominate at the AHL level. It's going to be a big step up. I think moving there last year would have been premature.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #2448
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
????

Hasn't taken much of a step this year? That statement sounds preposterous.

I think it's best for players to have offensive confidence at each level before moving on. This season was huge for his offensive confidence knowing he could dominate at this level.

Now he can move on and try to dominate at the AHL level. It's going to be a big step up. I think moving there last year would have been premature.
I fail to see how a player needs 4 years of NCAA while his not-rushed age-group peers (Poirier, Maantha, Shinkaruk) are in their second year pro learning the game at a steady pace.

Jankowski finished last season strong and seemed to have figured the NCAA game out. All this year is doing is showing the rest of the world that he's pretty decent. I don't think he's suddenly figuring anything out offensively that he didn't a year ago and I don't think he was any less AHL-ready than most 19-20 year old rookies out of Junior are.

Is he discovering how to score goals? No, he had 13 in 39 as a sophomore. He has 15 in 34 which is a marginal improvement but not an epiphany.

Is he discovering how best to make plays? He's on pace for a few more assists on a better team in a better role, but I'm not seeing him play very differently.

Him playing his senior year isn't hurting him but I'm not convinced it's notably helping him. He would be an AHL rookie right now not unlike Klimchuk. And I say this while I fully support sending Kanzig back and feel Hunter Smith should be playing his overage season in the O. I just personally fail to see the reward out-weigh the risk in Jankowski's case. JMO, feel free to disagree.

If he decides to bolt, I certainly won't agree that making him play his senior year was "right". Not when Hunter Smith is skipping his overage year.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 03-04-2016 at 05:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 05:20 PM   #2449
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I fail to see how a player needs 4 years of NCAA while his not-rushed age-group peers (Poirier, Maantha, Shinkaruk) are in their second year pro learning the game at a steady pace.

Jankowski finished last season strong and seemed to have figured the NCAA game out. All this year is doing is showing the rest of the world that he's pretty decent. I don't think he's suddenly figuring anything out offensively that he didn't a year ago and I don't think he was any less AHL-ready than most 19-20 year old rookies out of Junior are.

Is he discovering how to score goals? No, he had 13 in 39 as a sophomore. He has 15 in 34 which is a marginal improvement but not an epiphany.

Is he discovering how best to make plays? He's on pace for a few more assists on a better team in a better role, but I'm not seeing him play very differently.

Him playing his senior year isn't hurting him but I'm not convinced it's notably helping him. He would be an AHL rookie right now not unlike Klimchuk. And I say this while I fully support sending Kanzig back and feel Hunter Smith should be playing his overage season in the O. I just personally fail to see the reward out-weigh the risk in Jankowski's case. JMO, feel free to disagree.

If he decides to bolt, I certainly won't agree that making him play his senior year was "right". Not when Hunter Smith is skipping his overage year.
Two things to keep in mind with regards to Jankowski - Poirier was not seen as much of a 'project' at all - definitely was not an 'nhl ready' prospect when drafted, but he was not considered a project pick. Jankowski was very much considered a project pick when drafted, and thus did need more time adjusting.

Secondly, if he did go to the AHL, there would be a reasonable chance that he would not be getting top-line minutes. Some guys - like Smith - are not seen as top 6 players, and having a player like that develop in the bottom 6 in the AHL is not a terrible way to approach it. I would argue that Jankowski was better off being 'the guy' on the NCAA squad, and getting tonnes of ice-time and different opportunities and situations than he probably would have received in the AHL this past season.

It isn't so much that he wasn't ready for the AHL - it is that the NCAA would give him more opportunities in terms of ice-time, and different important situations against the best in his peer group.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 05:22 PM   #2450
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

He needed 4 years because he was a beanpole and has needed years to fill out and grow into his body. It helps his confidence to use his size to his advantage now that he is finally starting to be close to filled out and he's playing against college players still. Much better that then having him struggle in the AHL this year and lose all confidence. This guy was taken as a project. I think keeping him at a level until he's physically dominating it is best for his long term confidence and the development of his game. Much better to have him playing in all situations for a top level NCCA program then playing 3rd or 4th line minutes in the AHL IMO. You disagree?

You think it's risky for him to stay in college. I think it would have been risky for him to go to the AHL early.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #2451
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Two things to keep in mind with regards to Jankowski - Poirier was not seen as much of a 'project' at all - definitely was not an 'nhl ready' prospect when drafted, but he was not considered a project pick. Jankowski was very much considered a project pick when drafted, and thus did need more time adjusting.
I agree with that but I also think that where he was at physically in April 2015 was a level of a young AHL player.

Quote:
He needed 4 years because he was a beanpole and has needed years to fill out and grow into his body. It helps his confidence to use his size to his advantage now
He finished last season brimming with confidence in his size.

Quote:
I think keeping him at a level until he's physically dominating it is best for his long term confidence and the development of his game.
The same could be said for Bennett and Kylington. All players who still need to get stronger and are doing so while developing as rookie pros.

Again, Jankowski finished last season as physically developed as most rookie AHLers. Stockton is a great place to continue to grow physically while playing at a higher level, in a system that lets him use his creativity better. And under contract.

Quote:
Much better to have him playing in all situations for a top level NCCA program then playing 3rd or 4th line minutes in the AHL IMO. You disagree?
I think playing 68 AHL games (+playoffs?) in a pro environment and a new system would have been better than playing 35 games in the NCAA where he already played well enough in all situations to win a championship as pretty much their best forward. And I think with his talent he would have been a top 6 F on Stockton right now.

It doesn't matter now though. All that matters is him finishing up his season on a high note and getting him signed.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 03-04-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #2452
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Just send Conroy with the jet again the night Janko wins the Frozen 4. Bring Gilmour to Calgary in the jet too, just because. It worked on Gaudreau and Arnold.
If they win the Frozen Four, there won't be anywhere to fly them. The Frozen Four Final is at the same time as the Flames' final game of the season.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #2453
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will be so pissed at the Flames if he does not sign... I'm still annoyed that they messed up with Baertschi and don't even get me started with the stupid trade of Brossoit for Smid !!!
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #2454
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well this thread has, someway somehow, reached new heights of crazy.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 08:06 PM   #2455
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
I will be so pissed at the Flames if he does not sign... I'm still annoyed that they messed up with Baertschi and don't even get me started with the stupid trade of Brossoit for Smid !!!
There was very good reasons not to sign Jankowski last off-season. Brossoit hasn't proven anything yet. Just got lit up by a terrible Blue Jackets team for 6 goals.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:16 PM   #2456
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Well this thread has, someway somehow, reached new heights of crazy.

It's such a crazy roller coaster. I can't wait for the next episode.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #2457
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're coming out of the woodwork lately!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #2458
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This thread has gotten so crazy I can barely contain myself
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:51 PM   #2459
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's a theory. Maybe they knew Jankowski would walk upon riding out his 4th year and the compensatory pick was the silver lining.

He's had a pretty slow development curve and he still looks like he has a slow first few steps.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:00 AM   #2460
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will admit that I lost sleep over the gaudreau situation. Not even worried this time. Treliving said that he fully expects to get him signed. Good enough for me.

Tags
have some patience people