Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2019, 11:19 PM   #81
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
According to IMDB, Kurtzman is only involved in 1 episode of Picard in regards to the writing. And Orci doesn't appear to be involved at all. Stewart himself was also reported to be heavily involved in the process. I think this show will be fine.
A good Picard story has nothing to do with a 'chosen one' kicking stuntmen off a staircase.

Picard's most badass moment is when he hops over the bannister in Yesterday's Enterprise to take control of tactical and allow the Enterprise-C to escape. Otherwise, every time you see Patrick Stewart in a fist fight, you should recall elderly Malcolm McDowell kicking the #### out of him. 25 years ago.

They could get this right, but they've arguably swung and missed on every single Star Trek project since Voyager ended. That's not good.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:22 PM   #82
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

God they wasted Malcolm McDowell in that movie.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #83
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
And Shatner.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #84
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
And Shatner.
never forget that Starfleet's greatest captain is buried under a pile of rocks on a backwater planet in the Beta quadrant. at least the first time Spock died he got a proper funeral and was shot into the raging inferno of the Genesis planet.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 09:27 AM   #85
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This entire series is just 'Cultural Appropriation' of 'The Equalizer in Space.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:28 AM   #86
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny because Shatner wrote a series of books of the ongoing adventures of Kirk after his death. First of all, I want to state that Shatner is a really good writer, his books on the Star Trek conventions and his two books on making the series and the movies are really good reads, and more importantly he realizes as he's writing these books that he was a complete jerk and every member of the cast really hated him.

but his star trek novels were pretty well written. But somewhat bizarre. He's bought back to life by borg technology, we find out that the V'ger home world was the borg home world, then Kirk goes through to the mirror universe and completely kicks a$$ beating the crap out of mirror Picard and mirror fat Riker.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #87
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Those books were awesome. He met up with Scotty and McCoy again too, iirc.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #88
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
According to IMDB, Kurtzman is only involved in 1 episode of Picard in regards to the writing. And Orci doesn't appear to be involved at all. Stewart himself was also reported to be heavily involved in the process. I think this show will be fine.

According to IMDB, Gene Roddenberry has written 10 episodes, and other writers for only 2. I think its safe to assume that the actual writers for the rest are not confirmed yet. So it could be Kurtzman and Orci involved in more, or maybe not.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #89
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
According to IMDB, Gene Roddenberry has written 10 episodes, and other writers for only 2. I think its safe to assume that the actual writers for the rest are not confirmed yet. So it could be Kurtzman and Orci involved in more, or maybe not.
That's some trick, being dead and all. I mean, I see it on IMDB, I just don't get it.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0734472/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr3

Does he have a son with the same name?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:03 PM   #90
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Those books were awesome. He met up with Scotty and McCoy again too, iirc.

We also learned that Mirror Kirk had Chekov and mirror scotty and mirror McCoy hung.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #91
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I've always felt Generations suffered from a split personality of sorts. It wanted to be this cerebral movie that kept true to spirit of The Next Generation, but wanted to be a Hollywood action movie. It failed at the later, but Soran's obsession with mortality sort of worked (if you ignore some giant nonsensical story holes, like Picard and Kirk choosing to exit the Nexus right when #### is about to hit the fan, not, say, three days earlier.)

McDowell had some brilliant line; philosophical gems. I agree he could have been better utilized, though.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #92
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's some trick, being dead and all. I mean, I see it on IMDB, I just don't get it.

Looking at that page, it looks like they're giving him writing credits because all these series are based on the original Star Trek. I tried to count but he literally has credits for dozens of stuff after his death, and they all say:

Quote:
Based upon Star Trek created by Gene Roddenbury

Maybe an estate thing.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:26 PM   #93
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Hes more prolific that George RR Martin and hes still alive!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:21 PM   #94
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I've always felt Generations suffered from a split personality of sorts. It wanted to be this cerebral movie that kept true to spirit of The Next Generation, but wanted to be a Hollywood action movie. It failed at the later, but Soran's obsession with mortality sort of worked (if you ignore some giant nonsensical story holes, like Picard and Kirk choosing to exit the Nexus right when #### is about to hit the fan, not, say, three days earlier.)

McDowell had some brilliant line; philosophical gems. I agree he could have been better utilized, though.
I read somewhere that the writers were working on the finale and generations at the same time, with the finale getting their A effort and them mailing it in with generations.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #95
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most of the writers were announced last year, and neither Kurtzman or Orci's names were included. It's possible that Kurtzman could be involved in more than just the 1 episode, but I'm sure they would have announced that by now.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/9...ar-trek-series

Quote:
Kirsten Beyer (Star Trek: Discovery), Michael Chabon (John Carter), Oscar winner Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind), Diandra Pendleton-Thompson (Lucky Night), and Emmy nominee James Duff (Major Crimes).

Last edited by direwolf; 08-01-2019 at 08:04 AM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:50 AM   #96
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kurtzman is more of franchise supervisor at this point, overseeing all the various new TV projects. He won’t be doing any actual writing or directing. Orci hasn’t done anything tangible with Star Trek since Into Darkness (he was canned off Beyond) so I’m not sure why he’s even being brought up.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #97
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

but his star trek novels were pretty well written. But somewhat bizarre. He's bought back to life by borg technology, we find out that the V'ger home world was the borg home world, then Kirk goes through to the mirror universe and completely kicks a$$ beating the crap out of mirror Picard and mirror fat Riker.

Sounds autobiographical.

How is Shatner 88? He looks and acts 20 years younger than his stated age.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #98
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Sounds autobiographical.

How is Shatner 88? He looks and acts 20 years younger than his stated age.

Shatner should be appointed Governor General.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #99
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Shatner should be appointed Governor General.
Not sure we the budget can accommodate all that extra speaking time that would be required for Shatner to get through his speeches.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #100
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I first got into Star Trek with Voyager (ya, I know...), then delved into DS9 and absolutely devoured it. When I tried to get into TNG after that I just couldn't, the writing and acting of everyone save Picard just didn't compare to DS9. I really liked how in the latter there wasn't a made-up science solution for everything, they didn't have a magical deflector array to solve all of their problems. Sometimes the DS9 crew just lost and had to deal with the aftermath, it made the series have some real weight to it instead of every episode ending with a reset so they could have a clean slate for the next
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote