Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #61
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the Joe Fafard horses at the old court house downtown...

They were privately funded but they are actually worth something. I wish our public art had more of an eye towards art value as opposed to simply being decorative. I know we're never going to sell or auction off our art installations. But I think you get better work when you have valued artists competing for what should be an honored position. The Fafard horses are worth millions. If we paid millions we've at least got something worth our time effort and money. With the rundlestone work we're paying for concept and installation rather than value, history and provenance.

Here is another great artist's, Alex Janvier, installation....

We're not short of real accomplished, skilled artists.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #62
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Haha! We drove by that yesterday on our way to Banff and i thought it was unfinished construction! What they were making i had no idea, but i also had no idea this was art either.

I have to agree with Chu on this one as well. If you want a Blackfoot cultural piece, then commission a Blackfoot artist or artists. They could've taken that stupid Teletubby ring in the NE and turned into a nice Hoop Dancing piece.

I am all for public art, but i believe it needs to be local. If you can't find it locally, then provincially (Edmonton excluded of course E=NG). Failing that, Canadian. But I don't think we need to go any further than that.

I am guessing it's a prestige thing, "Look at this piece it's from New York, New Yorkers know art. It really symbolizes the struggle of the Blackfoot nation...or the four seasons...or their struggle with the seasons or something. New Yorkers really understand the Blackfoot culture!"
I'm pretty sure the city could get sued for not opening up the competition to others.

In any event, I understand the want for local artists etc., but it's the same type of anti-free-trade and autarky theory that is gaining favour recently.

Frankly, if Calgary did this, Edmonton would do it. Then Vancouver, Toronto, New York, LA, Paris etc.

Calgary artists actually do pretty well internationally and we would essentially be closing off a massive portion of their income and creative streams by limiting them to a city of one million people.

Most artists would leave.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #63
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I drove down this a long while back. Some poor sod made some horrible noises and likely demolished the side of this car against those rails they installed near the walls.

I certainly avoid that road for sure now and have never seen it again.
So some moron who can't stay in a lane, probably was looking at their phone, has caused you to avoid a road altogether?
Old 08-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #64
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I have only seen the Bowfort Road art in these pictures, but I like it so far.

Because of the location, it really had to be something big. Also, the article says it's not yet complete? Maybe we should see what it looks like once it's done.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #65
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
No more horses.
If you are going to honor native history and the past, are slabs and welded rusty steel the way to do so?

Besides it being ugly, I don't like how they are trying to pass it off as some homage to the indigenous of southern Alberta. If it's going to be modern art, then so be it.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #66
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
If you are going to honor native history and the past, are slabs and welded rusty steel the way to do so?

Besides it being ugly, I don't like how they are trying to pass it off as some homage to the indigenous of southern Alberta. If it's going to be modern art, then so be it.
I think doing the typical noble warrior on his trusty steed is a little much. We've been trying to get away from those sort of images. But I can't say I know why the Blackfoot would balance a bunch of heavy rocks up in the trees like this. Seems a little dangerous if you're not working with a good welder.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #67
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
So some moron who can't stay in a lane, probably was looking at their phone, has caused you to avoid a road altogether?
It's always been a bit of tight fit there even before they added the extra mini pillars. Especially with all the buses that barrel down there at full speed.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #68
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I have only seen the Bowfort Road art in these pictures, but I like it so far.

Because of the location, it really had to be something big. Also, the article says it's not yet complete? Maybe we should see what it looks like once it's done.
The "incomplete portion" is a bunch of dirt forms on the other side of the highway. So I'm sure it will add a lot to the existing piece.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #69
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
It's always been a bit of tight fit there even before they added the extra mini pillars. Especially with all the buses that barrel down there at full speed.
It is a bit tight, but just requires attention. Thousands of people successfully navigate it daily.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #70
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think doing the typical noble warrior on his trusty steed is a little much. We've been trying to get away from those sort of images. But I can't say I know why the Blackfoot would balance a bunch of heavy rocks up in the trees like this. Seems a little dangerous if you're not working with a good welder.
Who is we? Again, if this is a homage to the indigenous, were they consulted on what they would like to see? Maybe they'd love a warrior on his horse.

If it's not a homage to the natives, then why try to half ass it and say it is?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #71
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What is the art work planned for the MacLeod and 162 Ave interchange? Also is the new 12 Street bridge going to have an art piece?
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #72
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

“The stones float in steel cribs and when you look at them you can actually see the water ripples from the lake that was here 227 million years ago. There are also fossils of animals from the seabed at that time,” said Sarah Iley, manager of arts and culture at the city.

Does she really think or believe that people in cars going 80 kmp are going to see ripples and fossils as they zip by?
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #73
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
“The stones float in steel cribs and when you look at them you can actually see the water ripples from the lake that was here 227 million years ago. There are also fossils of animals from the seabed at that time,” said Sarah Iley, manager of arts and culture at the city.

Does she really think or believe that people in cars going 80 kmp are going to see ripples and fossils as they zip by?
And I think that the fact that giant rusty steel cribs are use to suspend the stones pretty much negates any notion or sense of floating.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #74
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, it might have been a more prudent exhibit someplace where people have the time to casually stroll by and examine it, like a C-Train station or something.

As opposed to some rocks and rusty metal by the side of the highway. What are we now? Detroit? Just add a burnt out car.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #75
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It could be a very cool piece in a pedestrian area.

If you look at the artists website, Del Geist, it appears he is truly a one trick pony.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #76
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
It could be a very cool piece in a pedestrian area.

If you look at the artists website, Del Geist, it appears he is truly a one trick pony.
No kidding.

You know, if I want to look at rocks? Not going to do it in Calgary on the side of the road, when the Rockies are within an hour's drive, or even the Okotoks erratic, which is infinitely more interesting than the turds on sticks that this guy tends to build.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #77
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
No kidding.

You know, if I want to look at rocks? Not going to do it in Calgary on the side of the road, when the Rockies are within an hour's drive, or even the Okotoks erratic, which is infinitely more interesting than the turds on sticks that this guy tends to build.
This would be an interesting installation on a smaller scale, shorter uprights, at ground level where you could see the rocks, in a park or something. I don't know where in the Rockies I'd go take a look at Rundlestone with ripples and fossils so it would be cool to see. As it is it is a bit baffling.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #78
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you guys think about the trout on glenmore by Chinook? I think it's pretty nice. Too bad the entire stretch was under water right after it opened.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #79
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not especially familiar with "Rundle Rock" used in landscaping but I hear the term used all the time. I assumed that "Rundle Rock" was stone quarried from the Rundle Group which is around 350 million years old.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #80
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Wow, I had no idea that "rocks hanging on rusty metal" could be considered an art style.