Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-23-2019, 10:14 PM   #1
Scimitar
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default LF: Business Intelligence Job Leads

Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of companies hiring experienced BI analysts and similar positions? Maybe suggest a name or two?

I am asking for my wife who is currently working as a senior BI analyst with a major financial company in TO. We were recently married but we don't want her to move until we see about her getting a job in Calgary. She is looking for permanent positions at this time as we would rather not risk it with contract work. She is also working some leads on LinkedIn, but I thought I would try my luck here.

She has 15 years of experience in her field and has worked in telecom, utilities, transportation and finance sectors. Her technical skills include: Tableau, SAP BOBJ, Hyperion Essbase, HFR, Oracle EPMA, QlikView, SQL, Maxl, VB and C++ scripting.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Full disclosure: she is a Maple Leafs fan, but we are working on it.

Thanks everyone!
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:31 PM   #2
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have any leads but if I had any suggestions I would definitely make sure your wife does a LinkedIn job search everyday with the time filtered to last 24 hours or the last week(if you miss a day), and location filtered to just Calgary. Skim through the results and save/apply for any jobs she thinks might be a good match. Also would be a good idea to join LinkedIn groups like "Calgary jobs" for any potential leads.

I'm a recent engineering graduate but I've expanded my job search to jobs outside of Engineering and I do see some jobs looking for the skills your wife has. I believe Shaw, Plains Midstream Canada, Kelly Services, and Robert Half are a few names I've seen that post Business Intelligence/Analysis jobs occasionally. There's definitely more though.

The Calgary subreddit also has a careers discussion thread stickied at the top and updated weekly. You could also try asking there if you have an account.

Your wife's experience and technical skills sound super impressive! Good luck!
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
Scimitar
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
I don't have any leads but if I had any suggestions I would definitely make sure your wife does a LinkedIn job search everyday with the time filtered to last 24 hours or the last week(if you miss a day), and location filtered to just Calgary. Skim through the results and save/apply for any jobs she thinks might be a good match. Also would be a good idea to join LinkedIn groups like "Calgary jobs" for any potential leads.

I'm a recent engineering graduate but I've expanded my job search to jobs outside of Engineering and I do see some jobs looking for the skills your wife has. I believe Shaw, Plains Midstream Canada, Kelly Services, and Robert Half are a few names I've seen that post Business Intelligence/Analysis jobs occasionally. There's definitely more though.

The Calgary subreddit also has a careers discussion thread stickied at the top and updated weekly. You could also try asking there if you have an account.

Your wife's experience and technical skills sound super impressive! Good luck!
Thank you for the suggestions. We have both been looking on LinkedIn and Glassdoor--she has applied for quite a few jobs so far. I think her being located in ON may be part of the problem.

Thanks again.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

my suggestion is to look at some of the ERP solutions providers out there, especially the ones that either sell higher end ERP solutions or BI solutions, they always seem to have projects involving BI solutions development.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 09:41 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Also in terms of head hunting firms, groups like Kelly services isn't the way to go, I would reach out to definitely Robert Half, David Aplin, Locke and Associates who focus around technology and BA roles and management roles mainly.

Take the initiative of looking for companies that have recently transitioned their accounting or ERP systems you can usually find them by looking at the twitter accounts of ERP consultants as they love to brag, then reach directly out to those companies.

Join linkedin groups related to her specific experience sets and become active in those discussions, if she has time have her put some articles or expertise ideas in her linkedin account as people looking for her type of skill sets will find her more easily.

just some thoughts

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: