Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Data Centers in Cagary

Hello,

I am looking at the option of moving our IT infrastructure to a Data Center.

The company I am with is very cost aware and so I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the cost is, how its charged etc. I am just looking for a ballpark setup/monthly cost so I know if its worth my time to investigate. We would be looking for colocation? service.

Right now we have a full height rack at our office, with 14U of space used (not including UPS (which I assume wouldnt be required).

We would also require a Fiber connection to an ISP, I assume that is a different cost paid to the ISP and not the data center?
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I deal with Scalar in vancouver (https://www.scalar.ca/en/), I know they have an office in Calgary but do not know if they have a data center but I would imagine so. Costs can very wildly depending on what you want to do. Obviously there are charges for rack space, power and AC but also the level of service you require.

Fiber would be a separate charge and depending on the size of the pipe it is not cheap. Not sure what the dark fiber is like in Calgary but a 1GB connection in vancouver is roughly $1500, that is just for the fiber no internet connectivity. I deal with Optic Zoo in Vancouvver, no idea if they are in Calgary. But Shaw would be an ok place to start on the fiber side.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

One of our partners is DebianIT here in Calgary and I know that they provide everything from managed services to cloud services and hosted services.

At the very least it wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

http://www.debianit.com/

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
Hammertime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pricing for Colocation varies widely based on the type of facility and operator.

In Calgary the big players are Q9 (owned by Bell) and Rogers (formerly Pivot or Carefactor). Both have a variety of different facilities at different price
points.

Right now the market is definitely a Buyers market. They overbuilt during the boom, and now have alot of vacant inventory which costs them money. You can get into a newer Tier 3 facility at price points lower than what was sold even 3-4 years ago.

Pricing is usually based on Power Usage, with a minimum fee per Rack. There may also be setup charges, etc.

For connectivity, based on availability within the specific facility you're looking at, you can either purchase directly to an ISP of your choice (and pay a small fee to the DC operator for cross-connects), or purchase from the facility directly. If it's not a complex requirement, I would suggest purchasing from the facility for a single "throat to choke" for support and implementation, often the pricing is better because the facility negotiates bulk discounts on behalf of their tenants.

Let me know if you'd like more information. I was a salesperson in this industry, but have moved on to another completely unrelated product set.

Last edited by Hammertime; 03-30-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stop, Hammertime.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
Hammertime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Stop, Hammertime.
At first I was confused - thought you didn't want me sharing my insight.

Then I came to the realization that you can't touch this.

Last edited by Hammertime; 03-30-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hammertime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

With this level of legitness, there is no quitting in your future.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

You just need to call them for quotes. It varies for everyone but negotiate. I was at Rogers and peeked over the wall and saw tons of empty space. It's a buyers market.

It also depends on what location you want. You can rent just a locked cage rack at one of the downtown ones for pretty cheap.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I don't know what is required but a sponsor of this site is IVRnet, perhaps look them up.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

SHAW has also invested heavily in their DC as well, their new building in the SE is really nice. Not aware of the costs, but in terms of features/layout/functionality, it's become one of my favorites DC's to work in.

http://business.shaw.ca/Advanced-Solutions/Data-Centre

possible benefit here, is that it's still really new, and has lots of empty space. So I'm guessing with the market conditions, they may be pretty flexible on the pricing to start filling the place up.

Last edited by MrCallahan; 03-31-2017 at 09:03 AM.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

DataHive is less expensive than the big guys, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.datahive.ca/

Prices vary wildly based upon requirements and workload, but generally speaking you are looking in the range of $300 - $1000 monthly for the average 2U server.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colocation , data center , isp , servers