Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #21
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Played the Beta yesterday and was pleasently surprised.

When I played the Alpha, there were only a few buggy situations but the game as a whole was visually stunning and the concept was intriguing.

The Beta has not disapointed and the game has defenitely taken steps forward in terms of glitches and game play smoothness.

Im still a little skeptical about the multiplayer mode and how that is going to work with end game raiding. But if the Alpha and Beta have shown anything, its that the devs do have plan and are executing it.

In terms of content and playability, the Beta is very similar to the Alpha except now you can access the subway tunnels. But the Beta is still limited to the same missions.

I think the biggest change has been to the UI and customization. It has been expanded but you cant access much of the content.
But I feel its much more straightforward now.

*If anyone is looking to link up and run through the DZ and pick some fights, hit me up. My mic is broken so im stuck using Kinect ATM though.

XBL: Xx ZparX xX
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #22
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

My biggest question centers entirely around combat mechanics. How does the game feel?

It looks super bullet spongey and stiff. I want it to be good

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #23
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
My biggest question centers entirely around combat mechanics. How does the game feel?

It's definitely not a FPS type feel. It's a little lacking tbqh but hopefully it developed as time goes on.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:08 PM   #24
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Fair enough.

Anduril - has your opinion changed much?
As a shooter, it's okay. Weapons have only 1 or 2 varieties at best within each type and overall feel really similar to one another. I rolled with a sniper/SMG for a lot of my 6ish hours of game play today. PvE wise, when on hard missions or in the Dark Zone it'll take 3 headshots or more on the basic units. Bosses are not as spongy relative to the mobs but possibly because once you've dealt with the trash it's generally a simple matter of landing headshots over and over.

One thing I noticed is the latency between feedback of landing those shots. I'd be positive that I nailed a headshot but either I wouldn't see the numbers, damage or it would be delayed.

Lots of other comments and opinions about how this is foremost an RPG using a shooter as the combat method and I have to agree with it. Getting loot feels pretty good and there's enough stuff to collect and a decent amount of depth from weapon to gear and mods. The shooter isn't a tack on but it's just kind of there.

On another note, the environment impressed me more than I thought it would when it came to the dynamic snowstorm seriously reducing visibility.

Roaming the dark zone solo is stupid but there's some tension to it knowing that you're easy prey for anybody else in a group.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:00 AM   #25
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Definitely not a shooter. Not in the purest of senses anyway. I don't think it was ever envisioned to be one. Put in a couple hours with it on my PS4. It kinda has more of a GTA feel to it, with Borderlands-like drops (though baddies and gears have less character than BL). I think the mechanics are built to be on the more RPG side where level will probably the biggest factor in your effectiveness in combat.

The beta doesn't reveal too much outside of the game mechanics. I think the Dark Zone has potential. It was pretty fun ambushing guys for their loot, then battling for supremacy in the extraction zones. But I can't do that forever. No missions are unlocked yet in the DZ, and I think that's where the game could shine or fall flat. Mechanics are serviceable, but not strong enough to carry the game, so it will go nowhere unless the missions are fun. Also the graphics are sorta meh.

At the very least, I'll say the Beta didn't reveal anything that was a game-breaker to me yet. So we'll see what comes out in March.

Last edited by Teh_Bandwagoner; 01-30-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Teh_Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #26
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

some footage I shot roaming around by myself and with friends. I plan to upload more footage of hilarious encounters with me, teh_bandwagoner, and our group's encounters.

And yes, the beta is a real beta in every sense of the word (like 90s beta with very little to do). Still I felt the game has tremendous potential, and if what massive has promised the user base is true, this game is going to be awesome.

So far, I am pleased with what I have tested. I can see a ton of potential, and I think that might be enough to make me keep my pre-order copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HL74O-s944
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheyCallMeBruce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #27
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let me in on your fun sometime.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #28
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Let me in on your fun sometime.
I know teh_bandwagoner has you on his friends list. I don't think I do though. What's your PSN name?
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #29
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nhamlet
Old 02-01-2016, 01:30 AM   #30
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just played the beta for a few hours, I like it. The combat is pretty good even if the enemies are kind of bullet sponges. The Dark Zone was pretty fun. A buddy and I met up with a big group of other guys and there were like 6 of us running around exploring and killing rogues. It can get kind of annoying when other people kill you for no reason lol
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #31
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's my best experience from the Division:

Old 02-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #32
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

So you're not a fan?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #33
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Open beta this weekend, I will be checking it out.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #34
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Started the open beta today. Some thoughts are..

-target tracking is a bit more accurate.
-hit boxes are slimmed down.
-movement and training with weapon is less all over the place.
-new mission opened up which has a couple new mobs.

-sound glitch with a silenced weapon for first few rounds fired.

Have yet to play in the DZ yet to see if any changes have been made.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #35
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Started playing the open beta. They need to put a damn FOV slider on this thing.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #36
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played the open beta, really enjoyed it.

I'll have to check out the dark zone now.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #37
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Downloaded the open beta last night, played for 20 mins or so and didn't really enjoy it. Too much "stuff" to absorb all at once, I think it overwhelmed me with all of the different systems being thrown at me simultaneously and I was tired to be bothered with it.

Shut it down and basically assumed I would never play it again.

Then, for whatever reason, I decided to jump on again this morning and give it another go. 4 hours later, I'm hooked.

Really fun game, love the constant push to upgrade your character, your gear and weapons. Really drives things in the right direction.

Probably my favourite element so far is that enemy encounters aren't limited by any "arena"-type borders. If a bunch of high powered dudes show up, I don't need to stay in the area I'm in to engage them. I can motor out of there and traverse back through the level, and those mofos will keep pursuing me.

This allowed me to slowly take out the weaker guys along the guy, leaving only the big baddie for last, who I easily dispatched by getting to an area of the level where I was able to climb a ladder (which he cannot do) and easily take him down from afar.

Compare that to unsuccessfully trying to fight him head on in the original area about half a dozen times or so, and this was a great strategy I was kicking myself for not trying earlier.

New abilities are fun too, I love the turret. I'm a turret whore in any game that has them.

I have not yet tried to Dark Zone. Too scared, need a friend.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #38
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Really liked how the game started out and was fun to level up your character. But then I ended up going to the dark zone. Didn't really care for it. Kind of boring and reminds me of a COD multiplayer. Everyone just kind of hangs around extraction points waiting to ambush and then a firefight breaks out. You die and then rush back in from the respawn area so you can pick up your dropped loot. Got old quickly for me.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #39
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm rather enjoying it.

Never got to play the closed, but jumped in with someone that did so he walked me through a lot of it... helped with the overwhelming feeling I was getting.

Was a little thrown off at first with the enemies and them being bullet sponges. Then realized that the game is an RPG, and since NY is essentially abandoned not viable to have a hundred or so enemies running at you at once... need to extend the fights.

Replayed the first mission on hard and holy #### was it a lot of fun. We had a group of 4, one was only a level 5 for the level 8 mission. So intense, so much bullets. Really brought in the team, and how to spec your skills properly for each guy. Failed hard the first time. Respec'd and then went through it with much more success.

Might not be a day 1 purchase for me, but I'm more then likely going to get this game
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TjRhythmic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #40
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamefan74 View Post
Really liked how the game started out and was fun to level up your character. But then I ended up going to the dark zone. Didn't really care for it. Kind of boring and reminds me of a COD multiplayer. Everyone just kind of hangs around extraction points waiting to ambush and then a firefight breaks out. You die and then rush back in from the respawn area so you can pick up your dropped loot. Got old quickly for me.
I haven't been in the zone yet... But I have a feeling a couple weeks after release the darkzone is going to be a horrible horrible place haha

They said that the best loot is going to be in the darkzone which may or may not work... having something like end game gear tied to PvP is odd. Would be like you can only get end game gear for the Raid in destiny by going to the lighthouse. Only a few people would get there.

Last edited by TjRhythmic; 02-20-2016 at 04:42 PM.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote