Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:
Default HELP - Modem Bridge Mode Causes Internet to stop working

I need some help as I am not very educated on how Modems and Routers live in harmony. I have a Shaw Modem/Router connected to an ASUS Router that controls my wireless network.

I have a new SHAW Modem/Router that I need to be in Bridge mode to access my Video Survelance cameras remotely via the Internet using my phone. Everything was working fine till the modem was replaced. I am able to view the cameras using my phone if I am at home if connected to the WiFi network but not with it disabled. I have a dedicated port forwarded using the same configuration as the old modem. Problem starts when SHAW sets it to bridge mode then the internet stops working all together. Even the the computer that connects directly to the ASUS router gets no internet connection.

Why can't the Router talk to the Modem when it's set in Bridge mode?

Any ideas??
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
I need some help as I am not very educated on how Modems and Routers live in harmony. I have a Shaw Modem/Router connected to an ASUS Router that controls my wireless network.

I have a new SHAW Modem/Router that I need to be in Bridge mode to access my Video Survelance cameras remotely via the Internet using my phone. Everything was working fine till the modem was replaced. I am able to view the cameras using my phone if I am at home if connected to the WiFi network but not with it disabled. I have a dedicated port forwarded using the same configuration as the old modem. Problem starts when SHAW sets it to bridge mode then the internet stops working all together. Even the the computer that connects directly to the ASUS router gets no internet connection.

Why can't the Router talk to the Modem when it's set in Bridge mode?

Any ideas??
I assume you reboot the router after they put it in bridge mode?

Did they actually bridge it or put it in IP pass-through mode? If it is in pass-through then you need to be using the correct port on the modem.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I assume you reboot the router after they put it in bridge mode?

Did they actually bridge it or put it in IP pass-through mode? If it is in pass-through then you need to be using the correct port on the modem.
Thanks for the reply.

It was rebooted and I assume it was bridge mode as that is what I requested they do. What do you mean the correct port for pass through?
Would that be different from the port that is forwarded for the Survelance Camera recorder?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which Shaw modem?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Which Shaw modem?
It's the Hitron. I don't have the model number but it was put in place a couple of weeks ago.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

So a Hitron modem originally only had pass through, IIRC, but I think the newer firmware versions support actual bridging.

The port I was referring is the physical NIC port. Pass through works by making one particular NIC port pass all traffic, similar to how a DMZ works, giving your router plugged into that port, an external IP
Old 01-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Which Shaw modem?
I think it's this one.

Hitron CGNM-2250 DOCSIS 3.0 WiFi modem
Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, make sure the router is plugged into the modem on port 4. You can also plug a computer directly into the modem and login to with with the username and password on the modem. Ours has been a little glitchy, and the pass through has gone from enabled to disabled on reboot(which is really annoying!).

So first check it is on port 4, then login and see if pass through is enabled on that port.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 01-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #10
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

^^^^

I'll give that a try tonight. Hopefully it works. The kids can't use the Xbox because of a double NAT error thats coming up now as well. I really like the new BlueSky but the internet has become problematic with this new hardware. The old modem was probably near 10 years old and worked fine.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

So just to be clear your modem is not set up as a bridge? Just using the passthrough?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, passthrough. We also have Shaw phones at the office connected to it, so I don't think bridge mode would work for our setup.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #13
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:
Thumbs up

Hey Fuzz,

I owe you a beer. Thanks for the advice.

Everything is working exactly as you described. I was able to hook up my laptop to port 1 after configuring the passthrough on port 4 and confirm the setting was good.

The only way I can get my internet to work however is to set my Router to Automatic IP. When it's set to Static IP it just doesn't work. I'm assuming this is a Nitron Modem/Router issue.

Other than that everything is great!!

Thanks Again!
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

No problem. Do you have a static IP from Shaw? Those cost more, but it should work fine, it is how we are setup.