Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #81
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
lol, omg that article was awesome. It shouldn't be this funny but it really is.

Quote:
some made up of customers vying to sign up for the limited-time plans, and others of customers who are simply unable to process this level of joy
Quote:
“Over the years our telecom oligopoly has gradually acclimatized Canadians to extremely overpriced data,” explained Trevor Gudge, a spokesperson for Bell, Rogers, and Telus. “By temporarily offering our customers a non-####ty data package, we effectively allowed them to stare directly at the sun. It is a mistake we sincerely regret.”
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #82
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Geez, you’d think these companies are offering a cure for cancer or something. It’s well known that Canadians pay some of the highest cell phone rates in the world even with the recent $60 deal
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #83
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

(insert McBain "That's the joke" meme.)

Beaverton is satire.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #84
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
(insert mcbain "that's the joke" meme.)

beaverton is satire.
FaKE NeWS
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:19 PM   #85
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's more like it! Had been showing 5 GB until today.

Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #86
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're #1! We're #1. For another year Canada's big 3 top pricing for cell phone plans world wide.

Quote:
A new report from the Helsinki-based mobile market analysis firm Rewheel shows that Canada had the most-expensive monthly prices for internet access in the developed world during the second half of 2020 so far.

And it's not just "Canada" on the whole topping the list this time around, but specifically the "Big 3" telecoms that together control more than 90 per cent of the country's wireless market.

Telus was found to have "the least competitive monthly prices" out of 168 different providers across 48 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas.

Bell came in second place, followed by Rogers, completing the trifecta of what many experts refer to as the Canadian wireless oligopoly.
https://www.blogto.com/tech/2020/11/...ess-providers/
Full report
http://research.rewheel.fi/downloads...IC_VERSION.pdf
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:11 AM   #87
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait to see what kinda spin the big 3 try to put on this.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:44 AM   #88
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Can't wait to see what kinda spin the big 3 try to put on this.
Telus and Rogers are both running ads that Canadians are misinformed that we have the highest prices. They have been slapped on it by the Canadian adverting watchdog. Government should be issuing fines for stuff like that.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...rice-1.5709691
Old 11-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #89
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not all the surprised. 2nd biggest country by land mass and tiny population .. Not much else to expect really.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #90
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the ad is deemed incorrect but Telus will not amend or withdraw the ad? I don't understand why they can't be fined for misleading consumers like this.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:41 AM   #91
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I'm not all the surprised. 2nd biggest country by land mass and tiny population .. Not much else to expect really.
Population density has nothing to do with it and that's been proven in study after study. Australia for example has a much lower population density, way more things that are likely to kill workers, similar GDP, and plans come in at a substantially lower cost.

Given similar/lower deployment costs per tower, nearly double yearly revenue per subscriber (Vodaphone Australia has an Average Revenue per subscriber of half of that of Telus ($35 vs $65)), and record yearly "big 3" profits that are among the highest in the world per sub. Its the big 3 price gouging Canadians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So the ad is deemed incorrect but Telus will not amend or withdraw the ad? I don't understand why they can't be fined for misleading consumers like this.
Because the consumer watchdog group has no teeth. They issued scathing report but no fines were involved. Companies will get away with as much as they can get away with and keep ARPU high.

Last edited by FlameOn; 11-05-2020 at 02:34 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #92
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Because the consumer watchdog group has no teeth. They issued scathing report but no fines were involved. Companies will get away with as much as they can get away with and keep ARPU high.
So kind of like the RCMP with the Federal Government then? Sounds so Canadian.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #93
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Population density has nothing to do with it and that's been proven in study after study. Australia for example has a much lower population density, way more things that are likely to kill workers, similar GDP, and plans come in at a substantially lower cost.

Given similar/lower deployment costs per tower, nearly double yearly revenue per subscriber (Vodaphone Australia has an Average Revenue per subscriber of half of that of Telus ($35 vs $65)), and record yearly "big 3" profits that are among the highest in the world per sub. Its the big 3 price gouging Canadians.

Do you have any links to said studies? Curious to take a look.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #94
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The big 3 have been pushing the population density justification for years and it's been disproven since all the way back to 2012. While we are a big country the vast majority of Canada's population density is concentrated in the southern latitudes.
https://openmedia.org/article/item/w...do-size-canada

Even if we were entirely spread out evenly for our population density, the fact we come in way higher than Australia which is less population dense than us blows that argument out of the water. Read the Rewheel study in my other post + look up the population density of Australia on wiki.

Take a look at this graph of population density vs. plan pricing. We are embarrassingly bad when compared to other first world countries.
Spoiler!

https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comm...ot_the_reason/

Look up reports from the OECD, the CRTC Communications Monitoring Report, as well as read some of the stuff from Michael Geist. We're paying higher monthly charges, roaming charges, hidden fees (pure profit, countries in Asia, Europe give away sim cards for free at kiosks and magazines where we pay $20-30 for a sim, there no such thing as number porting/connection fees, we were still charging for text messages until Wind/Freedom Mobile showed up, etc), and all of that contributes to higher ARPU in Canada compared to other countries.
http://www.oecd.org/internet/broadband/48127892.pdf

Last edited by FlameOn; 11-05-2020 at 06:12 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #95
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:

It’s been a few years since I ran the numbers- but the number of cell towers per capita is about the same between the US and Canada- and I seem to recall the US actually had a few more. So is being a big spread out country isn’t the reason; as we only have cell coverage where there is a lot of population. (And along some major highways.)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #96
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just having SaskTel and pre-Bell MTS in Canada is enough to tell you the population density argument is absolute crock. SaskTel's prices come in way lower than the big 3 despite having the lowest population density behind Newfoundland and Labrador.

Canadian government recognizes its incredibly bad and have been commissioning annual "Price Comparisons of Wireline, Wireless and Internet Services in Canada and with Foreign Jurisdictions" studies. They are very interesting reads. Here is the summary from the latest one:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/693.nsf/eng/00182.html

The report is what the Liberal government has been using to wack the Big 3 with the mandatory 25% drop in prices in two years. Looks like there has been a drop, but not sure if this is because of competition from Freedom/Shaw or the government mandate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wir...fees-1.5484080
Old 11-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #97
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a couple of years the telecom providers will have to drop their plan prices by 25% so $45 dollar plans for 6+ GB should be available.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #98
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
In a couple of years the telecom providers will have to drop their plan prices by 25% so $45 dollar plans for 6+ GB should be available.
My math off here, shouldn't it be down to $65 by then? You can get a 25GB/$25 plan with Shaw Mobile right now already if you are a 1Gbps internet subscriber.

My bet is CRTC is going to take aim at wireline internet pricing soon as well.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #99
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I've got a Rogers contract due up in a month. I was curious what my options will be and got on a chat with them. They offered me 20GB for $75 month and I said I'd think about it, but that still seems high to me.

Other than Fido, Koodoo, or whatever they're called, is this about as good as one can expect out of the big three with decent coverage? I'm thinking I'll hold out for a while at least, as Black Friday and Christmas deals should be out soon. Hopefully something better will come along.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #100
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you have Telus at work look into EPP. They offer some pretty good discounts.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote