Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #21
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
At Southland/Macleod, Safeway is gone (may have shut before the pandemic)
That Safeway was shuttered for months, I heard Sobeys closed it for under-performance and now a giant Value Village has opened in it's place. What does that mean when the Thrift Stores are the most successful form of business?

Case in point - while we are on the topic of MacLeod, the Brick just a block away from that Safeway is currently under construction to open as a Goodwill!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #22
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

It seems like almost every Starbucks in the main +15 network is now closed for good - not just shuttered temporarily but shuttered for good with fixtures and plumbing pulled out.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:08 PM   #23
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It seems like almost every Starbucks in the main +15 network is now closed for good - not just shuttered temporarily but shuttered for good with fixtures and plumbing pulled out.
I know Starbucks announced that they were going to be shutting down a lot of stores in Canada before Covid rolled around. I'm assuming those stores were part of the plan.

An interesting shutdown that I recently saw is that the Mac's in Crowfoot closed. They were in a high traffic area with two major grocery stores on either side.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #24
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I know Starbucks announced that they were going to be shutting down a lot of stores in Canada before Covid rolled around. I'm assuming those stores were part of the plan.

An interesting shutdown that I recently saw is that the Mac's in Crowfoot closed. They were in a high traffic area with two major grocery stores on either side.
That was a Husky as well and it closed days after the Cenovus takeover of Husky. Maybe just a coincidence, but I thought that was interesting.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #25
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Good thread! I was gonna start something similar recently after noticing a lot of retails/restaurants hutting up over the past few months.

The Humpty's by the Stampede Grounds is gone.

That Humpty's closed after the chain was bought by the folks behind Ricky's All Day Grill. That location was also the corporate offices, and I don't believe it was part of the deal, so was quickly shuttered.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 06:49 PM   #26
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The Starbucks on 17th Ave SW also closed recently. A Starbucks that can't survive on a trendy street next to a High School?
Old 02-20-2021, 08:38 PM   #27
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is the starbucks at 8th ave place still open? That one was regularly packed a few years ago.

And how is TD Square doing these days, any notable places closing? Must be really quiet there now with much less people going downtown
Calgary14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:46 PM   #28
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Is the starbucks at 8th ave place still open? That one was regularly packed a few years ago.

And how is TD Square doing these days, any notable places closing? Must be really quiet there now with much less people going downtown

This Starbucks is still open, still relatively busy too.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 09:33 PM   #29
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smuggler's Inn and the other restaurants are permanently closed
I_H8_Crawford is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #30
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Where did you hear that?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:54 PM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post

There are more shuttered stores, but not surprising due to Covid. Mostly smaller brand ones, but I noticed the Michael Kors is gone. The Starbucks in Bankers Hall is permanently closed. Sunterra hasn't re-opened.

Up until recently, the entire network was closed so it wasn't even worthwhile to pass through the Core during the coldest days as you had to walk outside to get to one of the opened street level doors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 11:01 PM   #32
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Where did you see that? The website still says temporarily closed. Hopefully not permanently.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 11:16 PM   #33
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I would assume GMVT, or whatever their name is, might be better suited to operate that operation. They took over the Edgemont Club which is a similar type of facility with multiple programs, courts, pools, etc. GoodLife doesn't run those types of operations from what I know.
I would be surprised if GYMVT survives the pandemic themselves. They spent a bunch of money rebranding right before the pandemic. The first lock down in the spring they were happy to refund me my monthly charge and froze my membership at no cost. This last go around in December they refused to offer me the same deal and then told me I needed 30 days notice to cancel or freeze my membership to avoid charging my card on the next billing. That's the kind of behavior of a company that immediately needs my $80 in the door more than they need to come off as customer friendly and I imagine it's because they are circling the drain.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:27 AM   #34
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to think Saks and Nordstrom will be next. This city is on the decline big time.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:29 AM   #35
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heard Royale on 17th is closed.

Add that to CIBO and these are pretty large restos to go down.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:41 AM   #36
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
You have to think Saks and Nordstrom will be next. This city is on the decline big time.
I believe Nordstrom has pretty stable funding from it's US parent but Saks (owned by HBC) in Chinook has always appeared deserted and looks pretty bleak to me. Hudson's Bay already shifted most of their store hours to close at 6PM even on weekdays and defaulted on rent on multiple stores across Canada causing mall landlords to lock them out. It looks like a company on its last legs as they struggle to restructure.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:36 AM   #37
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The old Scouts Center on Memorial Drive is scheduled to be come the home of the National accessArts Center - Canada's largest organization for artists with disabilities. They were in the Fairview Arena before it collapsed.

NSFW!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-hub-1.5921881
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #38
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Losing the Eau Claire Y sucks. It was definitely a benefit for us when we were looking to move out of our condo and find a home, with quick access to it from Sunnyside it was our go to for swimming lessons for the kids and other activities.

At this point I'm thinking Eau Claire (minus Prince's island park) is just a failed community. Maybe too strong a wording? I don't know, it feels like nothing more than a vertical community with almost no life around it at ground level.

I thought the Y’s somehow shared revenues from other Y’s? I thought there would be something since they were all basically open to anybody with a membership card, so I am kind of interested in how one would fail. Did they just have higher operating costs than the others?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #39
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Starbucks at the Bow closing was weird. I suppose that also must have been operating costs, because it was really busy.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:31 PM   #40
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to pop over and confirm but have heard the Starbucks in Canterra Tower has also closed.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote