Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #41
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Ignoring China for a moment I think there is a question of what are the Olympics and what should the Olympics be.

Are the Olympics a celebration of sport at its highest level or are they a political event. I’d prefer the Olympics be a celebration of sport where individual athlete tea get to decide if they wish to protest or not.

It seems cowardly to use the Olympics as a sanction on China as opposed to say actual economic sanctions.
We can do both.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:22 PM   #42
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
We can do both.
We should do both we won’t put any economic sanctions.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #43
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

HoC has found China is indeed actively committing genocide (about time). That alone should be enough to boycott at least. Throw in the other factors and Canada’s participation would be shameful.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #44
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
A Chinese court also ruled recently that homosexuality is a mental illness. So you can add that to the list of crap policies they have.

Everyone's got this all wrong. We go, but any true progressives in our athlete ranks or olympic delegation can shove it up the CCP's hoop any chance they get. How awesome would it be for some Canadian on the top of the podium to take off the Canada jacket to reveal a Taiwan flag? Or free Tibet shirt? Or free Hong Kong? Or free the Uighurs (sp) shirt? Or make stump speches while there supporting democracy. What are they gonna do, arrest a high profile athlete in the middle of their games? Lets show some true courage, go in to the belly of the beast and mock these criminals during their own event.
Canadians wore pride flag gear in Sochi 2014. Not sure "the beast" cared.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:52 AM   #45
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Canadians wore pride flag gear in Sochi 2014. Not sure "the beast" cared.
Going and allowing the athletes to protest on international television would have more impact than not going. If we don't go, it's a footnote at the start of the games and then they go on as usual. Nobody in the UK is going to care where Canada is. The athletes would be punished by the IOC of course, so I'm sure that would weigh on any decision, but you know.

I agree that China would not give two ####s, but if the point is solely to raise international attention, that seems like a better way to do it. I would argue that more people think of the black power salute at the 1968 Olympics than the boycott of the 1980 Olympics.

The 1980 Olympic boycott, for what it's worth, accomplished very little.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:26 PM   #46
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
HoC has found China is indeed actively committing genocide (about time). That alone should be enough to boycott at least. Throw in the other factors and Canada’s participation would be shameful.
Yes the gov't abstained

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:28 PM   #47
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Going and allowing the athletes to protest on international television would have more impact than not going. If we don't go, it's a footnote at the start of the games and then they go on as usual. Nobody in the UK is going to care where Canada is. The athletes would be punished by the IOC of course, so I'm sure that would weigh on any decision, but you know.

I agree that China would not give two ####s, but if the point is solely to raise international attention, that seems like a better way to do it. I would argue that more people think of the black power salute at the 1968 Olympics than the boycott of the 1980 Olympics.

In what world is this actually going to happen in the PRC?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #48
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

I don’t know where you get your information, the 1980 boycott basically prevented a Soviet propaganda victory, at a time in history when the world stopped working during the games no one really paid attention to those games at all. It was the beginning of the end of an empire that collapsed 9 years later. We’re you even born at that time?

They put in millions of rubies and it came to nothing. In contrast The 1968 protests were cool but the long jump record set by Bob Beamon(2feet beyond the previous record) got more press.

The boycott was extremely effective in that the Soviets did not even show up for the next one. Make no mistake about it China will be putting on a full court press to avoid a boycott( in fact they are already threatening there own sanctions). This is massive for China, the fact that they see so afraid of it is proof of how devastating it would be to that horrific regime.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:34 PM   #49
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would agree that it has to be more than just Canada boycotting to have any real effectiveness.

And it should be more than just Canada.

Honest question: if, tomorrow, Canada announced it would boycott the games, what countries (if any) would follow suit? And would there be dominoes? Because if we could get Germany and / or a couple of the Scandinavian countries on board, well, it's the Winter Olympics. That would completely de-legitimize most of the outcomes and massively undercut the whole thing.

I can understand the "symbolic gesture" take, and the argument that it's not going to change anything, and that there are better ways to do it. But my view is, look, China is an awful, horror show of a country that's going to be throwing a gigantic, ostentatious party premised entirely on self-gratification and self-aggrandizement. There will be much reveling, laughing and indulgence that will be indifferent to, and at the direct expense of, a lot of people who are suffering within earshot. If I were invited to a party like that, I not only wouldn't go, I'd think less of anyone who did. I don't want my country to have any part in it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #50
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

We can't boycott first, same reason we couldn't declare a genocide first. We don't want to be left holding the bucket. It's the US or bust.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2021, 01:03 AM   #51
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I don’t know where you get your information, the 1980 boycott basically prevented a Soviet propaganda victory, at a time in history when the world stopped working during the games no one really paid attention to those games at all. It was the beginning of the end of an empire that collapsed 9 years later. We’re you even born at that time?

They put in millions of rubies and it came to nothing. In contrast The 1968 protests were cool but the long jump record set by Bob Beamon(2feet beyond the previous record) got more press.

The boycott was extremely effective in that the Soviets did not even show up for the next one. Make no mistake about it China will be putting on a full court press to avoid a boycott( in fact they are already threatening there own sanctions). This is massive for China, the fact that they see so afraid of it is proof of how devastating it would be to that horrific regime.
Well, no, it wasn’t effective. The Olympic boycott had nothing to do with the Soviet Union’s fall years later. It had no impact on foreign policy. I’m not sure where you get your information, because there’s not a thing written out there that talks about the boycott as anything but ineffective. You don’t have to have been alive in 1980 to know that, and if you’re just going on “I remember!” then you should freshen up the noggin with some reading.

It basically played out in the opposite way you’re suggesting. Many countries didn’t go, so the Soviets dominated the games. They used it as proof of Soviet dominance in general. They didn’t care about what people in Canada thought of them, for example, the propaganda was for the people and it continued strong. The purpose of the boycott was to force the Soviets out of Afghanistan. Instead, the Soviets stayed in Afghanistan for nearly a decade more. And you call that effective? Lol. The funny aspect of that being that had the Soviet Union not stayed in Afghanistan for a decade, they might not have fallen when they did. It was that war that eventually broke them, a war which the boycott tried to end. How silly.

Of course China will retaliate against a boycott. They are not scared of it, that’s naive. They are against it because it’s an insult. Just as the Soviets were against it because it was an insult and retaliated by not attending the next games and holding their own instead.

Your recollection and view of the politics surrounding this is fantasy. You don’t seem to understand the purpose of the 1980 boycott, the actual result, why the Soviets didn’t go to the next one, and why they eventually fell... so how would one trust you understand anything about the implications of a boycott on these games? Bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
We can't boycott first, same reason we couldn't declare a genocide first. We don't want to be left holding the bucket. It's the US or bust.
Agreed. I don’t know why this needs reminding, but Canada is small fish. We can join our allies but it’s up to the US to take the lead because if it’s just us, it’s an even dumber game to play. And we’ve already been caught holding the bag for the US once recently. The boycott is not going to do anything. Start messing with imports and exports, then sure, that’s something real, but the Olympics? China isn’t going to stop being horrific because countries it views as beneath them didn’t attend their party.

I get the moral argument against just being associated with such a thing. But if it’s not going to do any good and the bad it will do is against people of your own country... I dunno, seems ####ty. If you’re going to boycott and have athletes sacrifice their shot at the olympics, have them sacrifice it for something more than symbolic grandstanding. Back it up with something real.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 03-06-2021 at 01:08 AM.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #52
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL takes steps towards participation in the China Olympics with an orientation camp in September.

Disgraceful. I am writing letters to Trudeau and Bettman. Not that they will do anything but at least I will feel a little better for trying. I will not be watching that’s for sure.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:44 AM   #53
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
NHL takes steps towards participation in the China Olympics with an orientation camp in September.

Disgraceful. I am writing letters to Trudeau and Bettman. Not that they will do anything but at least I will feel a little better for trying. I will not be watching that’s for sure.
Are you stopping watching the NHL as well? Bettman goes to China to increase the NHL market there. The only way he wouldn’t go is if the economic cost of going is greater than not going.

A letter and not watching the Olympics does 0 economic damage to the NHL.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #54
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's sad that they didn't go to Korea but will go to China, just for money.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #55
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whether or not a country boycotts the olympics has extremely little to do with economic sanctions. You can do both, neither, or just one of them, and it's a sidetrack to claim that they are relevantly connected.

Personal opinion, yes absolutely the Olympics in China should be boycotted. The Olympic committee does not care about human rights, and the only way to stop them from selling the games to horrible regimes is if countries stop participating and people stop watching.

Canada not taking part would be a huge blow for the winter Olympics, everyone would notice, they're such a major player in winter sports.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #56
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
It's sad that they didn't go to Korea but will go to China, just for money.
This is all about the money. The NHL can barely stand up to racism and homophobia. Let alone make a principled stand on a genocide committing world terror.

Ya no thanks says Bettman. I like having a job.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:36 PM   #57
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two Michaels set to stand trial and nothing from our amoeba of a prime minister.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #58
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Amoeba has a bigger brain.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #59
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's no way on gods green earth that we should be going to the Olympics, and Canada should be pushing with our allies for a general boycott.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #60
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There's no way on gods green earth that we should be going to the Olympics, and Canada should be pushing with our allies for a general boycott.
This will get us nowhere, and hurts no one but ourselves.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: